Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The eBike thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Out of interest (say taking the Kuma R1 for example), how much would a new battery cost and how often would it need to be replaced? Is it every couple of years or after say 20,000km for example?

In relation to the wheels/tyres - are they normal bike wheels/tyres? Or are they more expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Could you expand a little? Perhaps a photo of the battery port? Mine is detacheable and has a cover that you just press over the charging port to stop water ingress. This is what mine looks like

VSD1JTK.jpg

Thanks, it's actually the pin port on the bike frame I'm referring to that the battery clicks into.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

Thanks, it's actually the pin port on the bike frame I'm referring to that the battery clicks into.

On my R1 there's a little plastic cover that seals over the charge port on the frame.

On a side note, it looks like if you press the up and down buttons at the same time for a couple of seconds you can adjust the max speed assist up to about 40 kph. Haven't had a chance to test it out yet properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

SCOL wrote: »
    you could use a actual drink container, fill it with the tools you need.
    Magzire wrote: »
    Since i have rivet nuts under the frame i was thinking it be a good spot to have a spare tube and tools. Anyone know something like a bag holder that will go into a drink holder mount?
    I see what looks like a tool bag that fits in an included bottle holder in Aldi this week, lots of good bike stuff there anyway...

https://leaflets.aldi.ie/view/876489109/6/

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭jamesieliz

cc wrote: »
    On my R1 there's a little plastic cover that seals over the charge port on the frame.

On a side note, it looks like if you press the up and down buttons at the same time for a couple of seconds you can adjust the max speed assist up to about 40 kph. Haven't had a chance to test it out yet properly.

Have you been able to get the assist working up to 40kph ?
    I tried what you did and pushed up the number from 25 to 40, but I still think the motor stops assisting at 25 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Does anyone know a good place to buy a mobile phone holder?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Magzire

Does anyone know a good place to buy a mobile phone holder?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B072XNFFH3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

using this one, its great

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

Just pass the 70HR mark riding by Bafang mid Drive commuting to work.
    :D I wonder how much it has save me on fuel for the car

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭dkd21

Has anyone have experience of a Bafang BBS02 and a Bafang geared hub motor , like for like volt/watt ratings ?

Weighing up the pros and cons of each currently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

jamesieliz wrote: »
    Have you been able to get the assist working up to 40kph ?
    I tried what you did and pushed up the number from 25 to 40, but I still think the motor stops assisting at 25 ?

After you increase the value, hold down the on/off button until the screen resets to normal. That worked for me on my m1.

The on/off button actually scrolls through 3 different screens once you're into that maintenance area. The second one displays 700c. When you press up it changes to 27.5n and then 28n. Then the numbers get lower until you get back to 700c. Not sure what any of that means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 johnjohnjohn

Hi, has anyone got a recommendation for an off road type e-bike for a budget no more than 1500? ive been looking at this one below. has anyone any thoughts on the one below? is 1500 a crap budget for an off road e-bike? has to cycle to work scheme also. TIA
    https://rks-ebikes.com/shop/ols/products/cd15-coming-soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Any thoughts on this bike? Looking at getting two for myself and the missus to toss in the car and hit various greenways etc this summer. We both have normal bikes for trips in Dublin, commuting etc. So these would be for leisurely mainly....

https://radpowerbikes.eu/products/radmini-electric-folding-fat-bike?variant=32082365644893

Have looked at plenty of options (Volt, Tern etc) and this seems to fit the bill best in terms of cost, features etc..... lots of good reviews and I really like the fat wheels for potentially going a bit off the beaten track.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Hi, has anyone got a recommendation for an off road type e-bike for a budget no more than 1500? ive been looking at this one below. has anyone any thoughts on the one below? is 1500 a crap budget for an off road e-bike? has to cycle to work scheme also. TIA
    https://rks-ebikes.com/shop/ols/products/cd15-coming-soon

I don't own one, but Decathlon have a couple which get good reviews

https://www.decathlon.ie/en/e-bikes-sport-trail-men/310922-74451-275quote-electric-mountain-bike-e-st-500-v2-blackslashblue.html

https://www.decathlon.ie/en/e-bikes-sport-trail-men/309736-72689-275quote-e-st-100-electric-mountain-bike-blue.html

As far as I can tell, the main difference between the EST 100 and 500 is the 500 has a bigger battery and torque sensing assist rather than speed sensing

I'm not knowledgeable of these things but apparently the torque based one feels more natural. So if your budget stretches to the 500 then maybe that's worthwhile

Personally I'm hoping to get the 500 next year, when I have some use for it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If you can I'd say stretch for the €1,700 one. The hydraulic discs are a big upgrade over mechanical, much better braking power and more control over mechanical brakes, a must for any off roading and better braking in the wet. Also the Rockshox fork is likely to hold up better over time and better quality. My old MTB had a Suntour fork that was awful which ended up leaking, replaced it with the same Rockshox and it was a much nicer fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Has anyone converted a smaller wheeled bike - 24 inch maybe? I travel to work/school with my nearly 10 year old daughter who is a strong cyclist for her age. We could cycle along a river tow path the whole way (about 15km) but the wind and sometimes the terrain can make it harder for her - especially if we were under pressure for time. Was considering an electric kit to make those bits easier. Don't want to spend huge money on an electric bike for her as she'll outgrow it before long but if there was a kit that I could get for her current bike it might be doable. Has anyone gone this route with a smaller bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

buy a kit and as she gets bigger move the kit to the new bike.

Maybe a front wheel hub kit might be the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dunder2000

Can anyone advise me on how a Kuma compares with the Van Moof S3? Have had to send an S3 back because of glitches and want something that can be maintained/fixed in Ireland. Is the Kuma as good/better, if so which model - M1 or R1 is the better option?

Dunder2000 wrote: »
    Can anyone advise me on how a Kuma compares with the Van Moof S3? Have had to send an S3 back because of glitches and want something that can be maintained/fixed in Ireland. Is the Kuma as good/better, if so which model - M1 or R1 is the better option?

I've an M1 and I love it but don;t have experience of other ebikes. I opted for Kuma ahead of Vanmoof for the reason you stated. I wanted something I could get fixed here in Ireland.
    The R1 has about half the torque of the M1 so I'd say that's very noticeable. 40nm vs 80nm would be a big difference. Batterywise, the new R1 seems to have a 500w battery so presumably lasts as long as the M1 now. That probably also explains why the new R1 is heavier than its predecessor. The lightweight nature of the R1 was a good selling point but the new version is 20kg - still light for an ebike but I believe the previous model was as low as 17kg.

Kuma are great - go out and test ride the two of them and see what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dunder2000

Thanks for that - much appreciated

• Advertisement

My Canyon Endurace ON arrived today. Yes my handlebars are too low, quick setup to give it a test ride, the delivery was later than expected haha.

9iVeFCQ.jpg

After a quick 15km loop the bike feels good. Assistance mostly on low 100w, you can tell there's a small bit of assistance but nothing major, feels like you're doing all the work but over a longer distance I'm sure fatigue would be less. Threw on 250w boost mode for some small hills and a bit of fun on some flats and it takes off quickly, you can tell it's really pushing you. Boost mode on Fazua ramps up fairly quick, the 210w mid power mode is more gradual. All settings can be tweaked, power, torque and how much rider effort is needed.

The Fazua system only puts out power if you're putting it in, in boost mode I was coming off a pedestrian/bike bridge, taking it easy going around some people and it wasn't pushing too much as I wasn't putting much power in so it was very controlled.

Bike doesn't feel heavy once above 25kph. You wouldn't know it's 15kg when you're on it. Plenty of cruising at 28-30kph without much effort. The 32c tyres are 345g so could easily save 200g in rolling weight with some 25c tyres, my work commute has one very short 10% climb, if the bike doesn't struggle up that I might replace the 42t cassette with 32t down the line to have closer gear ratios as I'm not planning on tackling any mountains.

The motor is seamless, from a stop boost mode is obvious but when you dip below 25kph it comes on smoothly and when you go above 25kph you really don't notice it switching off.

Going to leave it in boost mode tomorrow and do 45km. I'm 110kg but can easily cycle above 25kph so curious to see the range. Also visiting a friend on Saturday for a coffee which is a 42km trip.

Got a personal best on a 1.6km straight, 2:45 at 35kph average, previous on my carbon bike was 3:05 at 31kph so it's still a capable bike without the assistance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Great looking bike too.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Rhodney

any recommendation/s where to get a mid drive kit? or is it possible to convert my 29" to ebike with rear thru axle? ive read the only way would be thru pedal motor?
    if its not possible or expensive, my next option is to convert my spare bike, its a giant defy 1 (700c road bike) would this be much easier?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

Mousewar wrote: »
    I've an M1 and I love it but don;t have experience of other ebikes. I opted for Kuma ahead of Vanmoof for the reason you stated. I wanted something I could get fixed here in Ireland.
    The R1 has about half the torque of the M1 so I'd say that's very noticeable. 40nm vs 80nm would be a big difference. Batterywise, the new R1 seems to have a 500w battery so presumably lasts as long as the M1 now. That probably also explains why the new R1 is heavier than its predecessor. The lightweight nature of the R1 was a good selling point but the new version is 20kg - still light for an ebike but I believe the previous model was as low as 17kg.

Kuma are great - go out and test ride the two of them and see what you like.

I got the 17kg version of the R1 while it was on sale recently for €1400 on the bike to work. It's excellent, rear hub motor is great, can take me up the steepest of incline but I love using it at lower assist levels on flats where the low weight makes a difference.

cc wrote: »
    I got the 17kg version of the R1 while it was on sale recently for €1400 on the bike to work. It's excellent, rear hub motor is great, can take me up the steepest of incline but I love using it at lower assist levels on flats where the low weight makes a difference.

Yeah I imagine the lightweight nature of the bike makes the 40nm go a lot further. Not sure the new model would be as effective with that extra weight.
    Not sure why they did it. They already had the m1 for people who wanted the longer life battery.
    My M1 is great and the 80nm is good but you need it with the weight of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

DaveyDave wrote: »
    My Canyon Endurace ON arrived today. Yes my handlebars are too low, quick setup to give it a test ride, the delivery was later than expected haha.

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/9iVeFCQ.jpg[/G] After a quick 15km loop the bike feels good. Assistance mostly on low 100w, you can tell there's a small bit of assistance but nothing major, feels like you're doing all the work but over a longer distance I'm sure fatigue would be less. Threw on 250w boost mode for some small hills and a bit of fun on some flats and it takes off quickly, you can tell it's really pushing you. Boost mode on Fazua ramps up fairly quick, the 210w mid power mode is more gradual. All settings can be tweaked, power, torque and how much rider effort is needed. The Fazua system only puts out power if you're putting it in, in boost mode I was coming off a pedestrian/bike bridge, taking it easy going around some people and it wasn't pushing too much as I wasn't putting much power in so it was very controlled. Bike doesn't feel heavy once above 25kph. You wouldn't know it's 15kg when you're on it. Plenty of cruising at 28-30kph without much effort. The 32c tyres are 345g so could easily save 200g in rolling weight with some 25c tyres, my work commute has one very short 10% climb, if the bike doesn't struggle up that I might replace the 42t cassette with 32t down the line to have closer gear ratios as I'm not planning on tackling any mountains. The motor is seamless, from a stop boost mode is obvious but when you dip below 25kph it comes on smoothly and when you go above 25kph you really don't notice it switching off. Going to leave it in boost mode tomorrow and do 45km. I'm 110kg but can easily cycle above 25kph so curious to see the range. Also visiting a friend on Saturday for a coffee which is a 42km trip. Got a personal best on a 1.6km straight, 2:45 at 35kph average, previous on my carbon bike was 3:05 at 31kph so it's still a capable bike without the assistance![/img]
    Wow thought I was in the Images of Beauty thread in Cycling for a second before I read your text, that is a great looking ebike. Im switching to a long commute soon and have my next bike2work in July, seriously tempted now. Let us know how you get on with it.

Thargor wrote: »
    Wow thought I was in the Images of Beauty thread in Cycling for a second before I read your text, that is a great looking ebike. Im switching to a long commute soon and have my next bike2work in July, seriously tempted now. Let us know how you get on with it.

It's a nice bike alright, clean welds for an aluminium frame and although the downtube is thick it's still a normal looking bike.

My commute is 35km so not the longest distance, 21km in with a ton of traffic lights and long gentle inclines in the second half which are a serious chore then 14km home on backroads at night so it's important to be able to get the head down push on at 30kph.

I'm back to work on Sunday so I'll be interested to see if I can manage cycling for the week as I'm only out 1-3 times a week for 20-30km.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭atahuapla

Anyone have the Fiido D11?

Heading back to the office in a few weeks so on the hunt for something.
    Seems like it ticks a lot of boxes; huge range, folds up nice and compact, removable battery (in the seat post), decent price point @ €800.

8tCuBIZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭forestgirl

atahuapla wrote: »

Seems like it ticks a lot of boxes; huge range, folds up nice and compact, removable battery (in the seat post), decent price point @ €800.

8tCuBIZ.jpg

How far do you need to cycle?
    Will you be using the train as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

atahuapla wrote: »

8tCuBIZ.jpg

It's plagued by issues. The main one is that the saddle pole keeps sliding down. Check out their other, slightly older but cheaper model, the D4S. I have one and it's been excellent to ride. Think it cost me about 580. Will upgrade the brakes etc. when I get a chance but it's excellent out of the box

Advertisement