Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chartered engineer

Options
  • 16-04-2021 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

My builder has asked to work with a specific engineer for the designing of structural supports and certifying the work on completion (getting ground floor of back wall knocked out of a 2 story house to build a one story extension).

My architect has never heard of the engineer. I've two questions:

1. Is there a way to check credentials of the engineer?
    2. Is it necessary or advisable to do so?

He doesn't have a website - not that a website proves anything!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

I put this in the wrong forum! How can I move it to the general construction forum?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just report your post and it can be moved by Mod, I've reported it there for you.
    Mod can then delete this post to clean up.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

You could just ask for evidence of Chartered status.

Otherwise you can search Engineers Ireland members here....

https://www.engineersireland.ie/Professionals/Membership/Members/Find-a-member

CEng next to the name would indicate chartered status. However, it could be someone with the same name as I don't think you can find more detailed info that way.

Probably best to ask for proof to be sure.

rob w wrote: »
    You could just ask for evidence of Chartered status.

Otherwise you can search Engineers Ireland members here....

https://www.engineersireland.ie/Professionals/Membership/Members/Find-a-member

CEng next to the name would indicate chartered status. However, it could be someone with the same name as I don't think you can find more detailed info that way.

Probably best to ask for proof to be sure.

Thanks. His name is not coming up on that.

What do I ask for? If there soon sort of licence? Does he need to have PI?

Cheers!

Thanks. His name is not coming up on that.

What do I ask for? If there soon sort of licence? Does he need to have PI?

Cheers!

Also is it usual to ask for references of other work, like you would with a builder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Ask for a copy of his PI Insurance as a starting point. That's the protection you have if there's some sort of issue along the way.

You could then ask for some examples of previous work. He doesn't necessarily have to.be chartered although most in private business for themselves are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Ask for a copy of his PI Insurance as a starting point. That's the protection you have if there's some sort of issue along the way.

You could then ask for some examples of previous work. He doesn't necessarily have to.be chartered although most in private business for themselves are.
    He doesn't also have to be member of Engineers Ireland

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

He doesn’t have to be chartered or a member of EI but he does have to have the required qualifications, experience and competence to design the works. Also PI is the important thing.

Ask for a copy of his PI cert which outlines the values of works he is covered for.

He could be a Chartered Building Engineer with CABE.
    iStructE or another professional association.

Advertisement