Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hill of Doon in Oughterard

Options
  • 16-04-2021 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have heard some people taking about the hill of Doon in Outgherard - that it’s a nice spot, so may do this over the weekend.

I’ve googled it and not sure if it’s just a scenic drive or a walk or a hike.

Can anyone tell me? Would like to do a hike type activity is it something along the lines of diamond hill etc.

Comments

It's ok, just an easy enough hike, Coillte-like trails. Mostly just overgrazed destroyed blanket bog, windmills and conifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭obi604

It's ok, just an easy enough hike, Coillte-like trails. Mostly just overgrazed destroyed blanket bog, windmills and conifers.

Thanks.

Is there a trail you can follow?

Do you actually get to climb a hill?

Hmm, it seems I was posting about Doon just after Moycullen. The Hill of Doon past Oughterard does look rather more appealing. But I have not been there. Apologies.

Hmm, it seems I was posting about Doon just after Moycullen. The Hill of Doon past Oughterard does look rather more appealing. But I have not been there. Apologies.

Noted.

Anybody else know anything about the Hill of Doon?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

obi604 wrote: »
    Noted.

Anybody else know anything about the Hill of Doon?

Went there loads of times as kids and got engaged there too. It's a gorgeous spot. You drive all the way to the end of the road and can park up. There's a jetty below the last parking spot. Great for a picnic. You can then walk the hill or head down by the lake. It's stunning in every weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Went there loads of times as kids and got engaged there too. It's a gorgeous spot. You drive all the way to the end of the road and can park up. There's a jetty below the last parking spot. Great for a picnic. You can then walk the hill or head down by the lake. It's stunning in every weather

Ah ok, so you can actually climb the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

Hill of Doon is on the north side of the lake, the Glann road leads to a viewpoint from which you can see the Hill of Doon peninsula. The end of the public road leads to the continuation of the Western Way over to Maam, a truly class walk during fine weather.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ax530

I know of it as a drive/cycle to a scenic spot viewing point over corrib. Have not walked down to shore but believe you can.

The young lad loves climbing but his main thing is getting to a summit like you would in Diamond hill or Moylissa, abbey hill etc.

It seems this spot at Doon is not ascending a hill, it’s
    More so a walk beside a hill, is this correct?

• Advertisement
Advertisement