Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Octavia or Hyundai I40

Options
  • 05-04-2021 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

I am looking at purchasing an Octavia or a Hyundai I40 - 2018 diesel models

Which would be the better option

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

Tomjim wrote: »
    I am looking at purchasing an Octavia or a Hyundai I40 - 2018 diesel models

Which would be the better option

would go the octavia-hyundai i 40 gear box a widespread fault with replacement ones needed at way too early a stage,Mechanicals on octavia definitely more robust once serviced on schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Another Octavia vote here, the i40 isn’t a bad car as such, but as above there would be question marks over the transmission, and they’re just that sought after.
    I would drive both the 1.6 and 2.0 versions of the Octavia. I have the 2.0 150PS and I reckon it’s the sweet spot for that size of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Rabbitman

Yea , definitely the Octavia . We have the 2.0 15bph here . Serious power with no issues and good on fuel . Have it 2yrs .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,671 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Octavia there great cars.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Hyundai i40 owner here .....

Car in my opinion car looks really nice and I really like the Interior....

Obviously it depends on money but I'd go for the octavia aswell.

Gear box is very notchy and dash creaks drive me nuts .... lots of owners suffer from this .... steering is really light which is a negative.

Had car 3 years now and if I didn't buy it really cheap id be pis5ed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I've done big mileage in both and I'd have the Octavia all day, every day.

But it would have to be a 2.0 and preferably in Elegance/Style spec. The early (all?) 1.6's only had a 5 speed box which was a pain on the motorway.

The i40 is cheap for a reason. Very light steering, hard ride, uncomfortable seats, awful gearshift and perceived interior quality is lacking. They've gotten better, the new Tuscon is quite nice but between your choices, Skoda every time.

FYI, have a look at the Seat Leon FR ST (estate) too. Same mechanicals as the Octavia, not massively smaller and better to drive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

Whats the Seat Arona like?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Tomjim wrote: »
    Whats the Seat Arona like?

It’s a baby crossover, kinda Nissan Juke sized.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,671 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s a baby crossover, kinda Nissan Juke sized.

I would say it is smaller than a Juke. It is more Ford Ecosport, Kia Stonic, Hyundai Kona sized.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,150 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Which are roughly the same size as the Juke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭rn

We've a 2l 150bhp manual 2018 Octavia in style trim. Brilliant motor. Very practical. Powerful enough. Very good on diesel.

We've had one serious fault though. Repeated hand brake failure. Now leave it in gear all the time as can't trust hand brake.

Advertisement