Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon UK no longer removing UK VAT?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ArrBee wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not seeing that when I go through the checkout.
    It's IFD on top of UK VAT.

I'll wait to hear what Amazon say about it...

are the items sold by amazon themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

ArrBee wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not seeing that when I go through the checkout.
    It's IFD on top of UK VAT.

I'll wait to hear what Amazon say about it...

It it is an item sold directly by Amazon, or fulfilled by Amazon where the seller is registered for VAT in the UK then it really shouldn't be.

Take this as an example. https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-PMF-220-CE-Multi-Tool/dp/B01L70MM4S?

At the checkout stage, if it is going to a Dublin address, this is the pricing.

Items: GBP 53.46
    Postage & Packing: GBP 0.00
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 11.23
    Order Total: GBP 64.69

£53.46 * 0.21% gets you £11.2366. IFD = 21% VAT.

Whereas if the item is being sent to an English Address:

Amazon.co.uk Order Summary
    Total before VAT: GBP 53.46
    Estimated VAT: GBP 10.69
    Order Total: GBP 64.15

£53.46 * 0.20% = £10.69

Equally, if you take a book, like mentioned previously being rated zero for VAT. https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Rings-Boxed-Set/dp/0007581149.

Going to a Dublin address, there is not mention of Import Fees because no vat is collected on books:
    Order Summary
    Items: GBP 49.31
    Order Total: GBP 49.31

Going to a UK Address, would be the same pricing.

Order Summary

Throw up a link to something you are looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭ArrBee

It it is an item sold directly by Amazon, or fulfilled by Amazon where the seller is registered for VAT in the UK then it really shouldn't be.

Take this as an example. https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-PMF-220-CE-Multi-Tool/dp/B01L70MM4S?

At the checkout stage, if it is going to a Dublin address, this is the pricing.

Import Fees Deposit: GBP 11.23
    Order Total: GBP 64.69

£53.46 * 0.21% gets you £11.2366. IFD = 21% VAT.

Whereas if the item is being sent to an English Address:

Amazon.co.uk Order Summary
    Total before VAT: GBP 53.46
    Estimated VAT: GBP 10.69
    Order Total: GBP 64.15

£53.46 * 0.20% = £10.69

Equally, if you take a book, like mentioned previously being rated zero for VAT. https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Rings-Boxed-Set/dp/0007581149.

Going to a Dublin address, there is not mention of Import Fees because no vat is collected on books:
    Order Summary

Going to a UK Address, would be the same pricing.

Order Summary

Throw up a link to something you are looking at.

do you have an amazon business account? I've never seen VAT as an extra line on the invoice when shipping to Ireland or UK. I still dont see VAT when shipping to UK.

The item is fulfilled by Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YTXDYQ4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3H6AYT3B8CPXW&psc=1

In this example the item starting price includes UK VAT already.
    the UK address should have nothing more added (other than a possible delivery charge)
    The Ire address should have a different item price at checkout where the UK VAT is removed and IRE VAT is added. (like they used to do)

Adding IFD on top of the item price is adding adding 21% on top of UK VAT.
    no?

UK address:
    ===========
    Order Summary
    Items: GBP 56.99
    Postage & Packing: GBP 4.49
    Total: GBP 61.48
    Promotion Applied: -GBP 4.49
    Order Total: GBP 56.99

IRE address:
    ===========
    Order Summary
    Items: GBP 56.99
    Postage & Packing: GBP 6.00
    Import Fees Deposit: GBP 13.23
    Total: GBP 76.22
    Promotion Applied: -GBP 6.00
    Order Total: GBP 70.22

I've a question in with Amazon about it to find out whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

I've noticed something today with the Lightening Deals, that when you get to the checkout they either don't seem to be removing the UK VAT from the price or they don't give the proper discount for the deal.

I tried on one item that was £16.99 normal price and £14.44 deal price. If you add that to the cart and go to checkout, the price is £14.16, but if you add it at the non-deal price and go to checkout, it's also £14.16 so you're not getting any deal at all. £14.16 is the full price - UK VAT.

Looked at a keyboard that was supposed to have £7 off, but at checkout after adjusting the VAT correctly for Ireland, the discount was listed as -£0.18. I've noticed this on a few other deal prices in the last couple of weeks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

A lot of people are claiming that only items sold by Amazon will be VAT adjusted, and that items dispatched by Amazon from a 3rd party seller are not, but this is not true. I've bought lots from Amazon in the last three months and when dispatched by Amazon then they adjust the VAT at checkout. If the item is less than about £20, they remove the VAT and don't charge any Irish VAT, so you get it cheaper.

If shipping is handled by the seller directly, then it's up to them whether or not they remove the UK VAT and charge Irish VAT (if they are VAT registered here and are capable of doing this). Some of the big companies may do this, but I think most won't.

If the product is shipped from outside the EU and UK, then there may be no VAT at all so there's nothing to remove.

This is 100% accurate, with the caveat that when Amazon ships items sold by a 3rd party seller, the seller needs to be VAT registered for the UK VAT to be deduced.

• Advertisement

gzoladz wrote: »
    This is 100% accurate, with the caveat that when Amazon ships items sold by a 3rd party seller, the seller needs to be VAT registered for the UK VAT to be deduced.

Thank you!
    This seems to be the 1st clue as to a cause of the issue....

"if the 3rd party is not UK VAT registered".

Amazon have still not been able to provide an answer from there end but the above seems reasonable as the cause.

Edit to add:
    Do we know what happens when the 3rd party is non-UK registered and double VAT is charged?
    Like, can you request a refund?

In my dealings with Amazon so far on the pre sales question... they seemed to assume it was a post sale VAT refund request (which they have a process for).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,895 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

ArrBee wrote:
    Edit to add: Do we know what happens when the 3rd party is non-UK registered and double VAT is charged? Like, can you request a refund?

If the 3rd party is non UK vat registered then there is no UK vat charged.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If the 3rd party is non UK vat registered then there is no UK vat charged.

Even if delivered in to the UK?

i.e. when selecting a UK address it is the same price but has no import fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Nice to see this thread.

I'm getting confused. I saw some items i wanted to buy, put them together to get free shipping and was wondering why I was met with a higher price?

The items I bought were listed to a sum of 21 pounds but then when I went to pay I had the import fees deposit.

Do I get this money back or what?

I'm also wondering if it's the pre fees cost that triggers free delivery or the post fee cost? If it's pre fees then we're getting ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭corkie

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Nice to see this thread.

I'm getting confused. I saw some items i wanted to buy, put them together to get free shipping and was wondering why I was met with a higher price?

The items I bought were listed to a sum of 21 pounds but then when I went to pay I had the import fees deposit.

Do I get this money back or what?

I'm also wondering if it's the pre fees cost that triggers free delivery or the post fee cost? If it's pre fees then we're getting ripped off.

If you haven't purchased from UK since the new year have a read here: -

How Brexit affects online buying Update 20th January <<< Vat is now 23%

And

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

And

About Import Fees Deposit

Basically you don't get the money back (unless overcharged), your basically just paying Irish Vat. And depending on seller the UK vat would have been removed. Have a look at the price before and at checkout.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Yeah I bought already this year and the UK VAT was removed in the basket and Irish fees applied but for this time it was shipped by Amazon I was surprised to see the extra cost. It's a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭corkie

Shipped by Amazon but let me guess not sold by Amazon

As mentioned some sellers (maybe Chinese) aren't paying UK Vat, so no vat to be removed.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

ArrBee wrote:
    Even if delivered in to the UK?

If the seller isn't UK vat registered then it's illegal for them to charge UK vat. This doesn't mean that the price is going to be cheaper. Maybe it will & maybe it won't. It just means that UK vat isn't part of what you are paying.

If the seller isn't UK vat registered then it's illegal for them to charge UK vat. This doesn't mean that the price is going to be cheaper. Maybe it will & maybe it won't. It just means that UK vat isn't part of what you are paying.

I guess what I was asking is...

Is it legal for seller to sell on Amazon and deliver into the UK without paying, and therefore collecting, UK vat?

I just never imagined that Amazon would be fulfilling under those circumstances.
    Surely it wouldn't be that easy to avoid vat in UK?

ArrBee wrote:
    Is it legal for seller to sell on Amazon and deliver into the UK without paying, and therefore collecting, UK vat?

Yes its legal. Many sellers are not based in UK or the EU for that matter. I bought a phone last year from amazon france. Before buying I asked about a VAT because I have a business account. They told me no VAT was charged. They actually gave me a 100 euro discount to secure the sale. The Phone was shipped from Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭migrant

I want to buy a food item from Aamzon, but they're charging VAT on zero rated food products once they're over £22 or so. How can they get away with pocketing the VAT on zero-rated items ?

migrant wrote: »
    I want to buy a food item from Aamzon, but they're charging VAT on zero rated food products once they're over £22 or so. How can they get away with pocketing the VAT on zero-rated items ?

Example?

Nobody knows?

The duty Amazon collect is like a deposit. If Irish customs don't charge Amazon anything then Amazon refund the Duty /import fees after a few weeks. They also refund the balance of these fees if customs charge them less than they thought. Most people have received small refunds of a few cents by now. I got 10 euro refund on import fees on goods worth 200 euro

• Advertisement

The duty Amazon collect is like a deposit. If Irish customs don't charge Amazon anything then Amazon refund the Duty /import fees after a few weeks. They also refund the balance of these fees if customs charge them less than they thought. Most people have received small refunds of a few cents by now. I got 10 euro refund on import fees on goods worth 200 euro
    I hoped that might be the case, but didn't want to simply assume it. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I had an order with 2 pre-orders in it.

Item 1: £13.32 ... shipping next week in April

Item 2: £10.55 ... to be shipped in May

There was an import fee deposit of £3.22 on the order summary since the combination of the two is over €22

Each item is being posted separately as they are released and each item is under €22.

I got charged £13.32 today... not the expected £13.32 + import fee portion.

Does this mean that I won't get charged import fee since each item is under €22?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

You shouldn't do as thy are shipped separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Hi

I had an order delivered yesterday from Amazon UK. It was 120eur, so under the 150eur customs limit.
    They charged me 18eur import fee, yet this hasn't been refunded to me?

Will this come back to me or is this going to be charged because customs might have to check the parcel to ensure it is under 150?

It is really putting me off using Amazon UK.

I have used the .de version a couple of times now but they are charging postage of 7 or 8 eur or more.

Thanks

Hi

I had an order delivered yesterday from Amazon UK. It was 120eur, so under the 150eur customs limit.

Will this come back to me or is this going to be charged because customs might have to check the parcel to ensure it is under 150?

I have used the .de version a couple of times now but they are charging postage of 7 or 8 eur or more.

Thanks

you are confusing customs duty and VAT. the 150 is a customs duty limit. the limit for vat is €26. the €18 you paid would be vat.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hi

Thanks

Charges Post Brexit

you are confusing customs duty and VAT. the 150 is a customs duty limit. the limit for vat is €26. the €18 you paid would be vat.

I know the customs limit is 150.
    Thus I shouldn't have to pay an import fee?
    It says 'Import fees deposit' on it for the 18eur.

Edit..thanks to Whiterebel..I can see the 'import fee' is actually including Irish vat. I must check in future to see if the British vat is taken off when put into the basket.

Thanks again

I know the customs limit is 150.
    Thus I shouldn't have to pay an import fee?
    It says 'Import fees deposit' on it for the 18eur.

Edit..thanks to Whiterebel..I can see the 'import fee' is actually including Irish vat. I must check in future to see if the British vat is taken off when put into the basket.

Thanks again

i'm pretty sure i said exactly that.

i'm pretty sure i said exactly that.

Apologies, you did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Anyone want to explain this?
    95p - 20% UK vat = 79p
    shipped from germany, it becomes
    64p + 23% IE vat = 79p
    sIwpMz9.png