Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to build a house in ireland (and how much)

• 14-04-2021 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

We have the potential to acquire a site. . Architect, QS, contractor etc now need to be found
    Planning permission to be applied for. Say we will build about 160sqm.

How long from today to being able to move in with full fit out? 18 months?

Cheeky second question. What is a very rough ballpark for the total cost including all professional fees? Ignore cost of the site.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,357 ✭✭✭✭kippy

DRice wrote: »
    We have the potential to acquire a site. . Architect, QS, contractor etc now need to be found

Cheeky second question. What is a very rough ballpark for the total cost including all professional fees? Ignore cost of the site.
    This might be of use:
    https://scsi.ie/consumer/build/house-rebuild-calculator/
    But generally how long is a piece of string?

That said, based on many threads here and discussions elsewhere costs of building labour and materials have gone up significantly in the past year or so and the availability of skilled people to do the work is very tight so good luck in your endeavours.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭DRice

Alright i get it, its uncertain times.still whats a typical timeframe and cost for your average 4 bed

Alright i get it, its uncertain times.still whats a typical timeframe and cost for your average 4 bed
    Typical? What is typical?

If you were to ask me what is the cost I would budget myself for building a house in Mayo on my own site, to todays specifications, about 150sqm, I'd be looking at a budget of circa €275,000 and a timeline of 24 months if I was to start planning engagement now.
    I'd "Hope" to have a bit left over from that budget.

Another calculator:
    https://selfbuild.ie/construction/build-cost-estimator/

kippy wrote: »
    This might be of use:
    https://scsi.ie/consumer/build/house-rebuild-calculator/
    But generally how long is a piece of string?

That said, based on many threads here and discussions elsewhere costs of building labour and materials have gone up significantly in the past year or so and the availability of skilled people to do the work is very tight so good luck in your endeavours.
    Thanks i guess the skilled tradesmen will return once we are out of the pandemic? Materials same. Brexit not helping of course

Typical? What is typical?

If you were to ask me what is the cost I would budget myself for building a house in Mayo on my own site, to todays specifications, about 150sqm, I'd be looking at a budget of circa €275,000 and a timeline of 24 months if I was to start planning engagement now.
    I'd "Hope" to have a bit left over from that budget.

Another calculator:
    https://selfbuild.ie/construction/build-cost-estimator/

Thanks confirmed my own estimations

• Advertisement

Thanks i guess the skilled tradesmen will return once we are out of the pandemic? Materials same. Brexit not helping of course

There's not a whole pile of skilled people around to build all the housing that is required. It's a generaly issue.
    Material costs aren't gonna come down in the short term anyway.

There's not a whole pile of skilled people around to build all the housing that is required. It's a generaly issue.
    Material costs aren't gonna come down in the short term anyway.

Then i ts probably safe to say no point in hanging on a year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Then i ts probably safe to say no point in hanging on a year.

What county?
    What are the priorities: is environmental, quality, longevity ahead of cost?
    Do you really need 150m2, would 120 suffice?
    Mains waste, water?
    Etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Working on my own atm.

Don’t forget the following:

A solicitor - could Be 4K plus for land transfer and mortgages (inc/excluding Stamp duty on site)

Esb connection fees.

Water connection fees

County council “contribution” - this one varies wildly county to county.

When you go for planning permission you could be asked for a hydrologist report if your near a river etc (1000 euro +) or sometimes even a conservation report if certain animals may live near your proposed site(bats for example)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

As above so many factors,
    But dont be fooled by the SQM quotes.

If you build 120SQM or 200SQM you still need planning, 1 front door, 1 stairs, 1 Kitchen.
    Double space does not equate double budget.

But what your question doesnt have is,
    I want a Passive house or a A3 house, I have land, There is water mains or I will have to drill.

All these questions make a difference of about 35%+ (Pulling that % from me hole but its a fair estimate)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Are you including lawns, driveway , boundary wall/ fencing ?
    Are you building a separate garage?
    What type of heating?
    Mains water v a well ?
    Waste mains or your own system?
    Percolation area raised bed required?
    Flat site or sloped?
    Planning possible for bungalow, dormer, storey and a half, two storey?
    Are you going to project manage yourself or get a building firm to give you a turnkey home?
    Without knowing all the variables, the spec of house you want , how and where it's going to.be built you cant get a reliable estimate.
    If project managing yourself and acting as your own QS what ever figure you estimate add 30%. on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭cheezums

in terms of timeframe, 18 months would be an absolute minimum with no delays. took me well over two years to go from idea to construction start. won't be done for another 6 months so 3 years possibly from start to moving in.

cost is impossible to quantify based on sq footage alone. but there are various rebuild calculators that can give you very rough estimates.

https://scsi.ie/consumer/build/house-rebuild-calculator/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3cG28IKA8AIVwZ7tCh220QNvEAAYAiAAEgKAJPD_BwE

number one tip i can give you is you need a substantial amount of money on hand, outside the mortage for all the things your mortgage will not cover - profesional fees, surveys, connection fees, council fees, loads more i can't think of right now. you could easily need 30k + cash on hand. this catches a lot of people out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,364 ✭✭✭obi604

I k ow lots of permutations etc, but is it any cheaper to build a dormer house versus a 2 storey?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭thomas 123

obi604 wrote: »
    I k ow lots of permutations etc, but is it any cheaper to build a dormer house versus a 2 storey?

Cheaper to go up - roof and footprint are massive costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

I've been at it 15 months and haven't even got planning yet, the council are a joke, delays and going around in circles from billy to jack.

So it'd be hard to guess a timeline until at least planning is granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭JoeA3

For me, it took approx one year from turning the first sod to moving into my new home. But there was almost another year before that from making an offer on the site to coming up with designs, the planning process and tendering to builders.
    So I’d say ~24 months beginning to end is a fair ballpark. We had the first lockdown in the middle of that too, so not bad going overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭mrsWhippy

3 years, from initiation of the idea to moving in. Queue multiple planning issues, ABP appeal, interfering neighbors, hold up with solicitors and deed/land transfer problems.

Advertisement