Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

order windows based on agreed opening sizes

• 13-04-2021 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Anyone ever order windows based on agreed opening sizes?

What could go wrong (half joking/half serious)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Panjandrums

Windows end up too short.

You should have enough time to let blocklayers form the width of the window ope before ordering.

Worst case scenario the lintel could have fiber cement board fixed to underside to bring down the level into window frame.

If timber frame there wouldn't be any issues, assuming the architect is worth their fee and works to brick dimensions (if brick)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

I'm no builder, but if it were me, I'd be building wooden frames of the agreed sizes, and ensure the bricklayer works to that template.

Easy for something to be marked incorrectly and your down a few grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭Who2

Very rarely agreed sizes work. If it’s brickwork it’s next to impossible as courses will me moved and matched to suit. Reveals could be off and no tolerances allowed a couple of extra mom of muck under the cull and you hit problems trying to wedge the windows in or planing bits off then when the reveals are plastered in the sash’s end up rubbing and sticking.
    Most window companies won’t accept agreed sizes those who do usually want you to sign off to accept all responsibility for any issues and the ones that don’t you really don’t want around.
    Safest bet is just let the lads build, get it felt and battened then order the windows. Some crowds do a three week turnaround, most within five.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Never order from drawings.
    There will always be something that doesn’t go to plan.

The drawings may not be drawn to brick lengths.
    Wider mortar joints.
    Brickie may need a half brick somewhere to two into a pattern.

NEVER ORDER WINDOWS UNTIL THE OPES ARE FORMED ON SITE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Casati

Agreed never order until opes completed - another good reason is that once you see an ope you might decide its too big/ too small/ not in the right place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

Ordering off agreed sizes is standard practice on large projects.
    I’d have serious doubts about the capability of any contractor who could not coordinate a build with agreed sizes for windows and doors.
    What hope is there for airtightness and half-decent finishes if something as basic as window opes is deemed to be pushing the quality envelope.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

fatty pang wrote: »
    I’d have serious doubts about the capability of any contractor who could not coordinate a build with agreed sizes for windows and doors.
    What hope is there for airtightness and half-decent finishes if something as basic as window opes is deemed to be pushing the quality envelope.

In the last 24hours, This main contractor, didn’t know whether a safe pass was required to enter the site, or whether frost would be an issue for a freshly poured concrete slab.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SC024

fatty pang wrote: »

Agreed we do this all the time on domestic sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭SC024

BryanF wrote: »
    In the last 24hours, This main contractor, didn’t know whether a safe pass was required to enter the site, or whether frost would be an issue for a freshly poured concrete slab.

get foreman/ owner onsite with window rep, agree everything in writing. they build to agreed sizes or else they alter after at there expense. done on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭moldy_sea

BryanF wrote: »

I think you've got some threads mixed there and a bad assumption for good measure ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

If your builder or designer cant set out the sizes correctly for window pre order then I would question their professionalism, and 'we have always done it that way' isn't an excuse either.

Invest in a proper set of construction details and you wont be guessing at anything.

Ordered all our windows/doors over €30k worth off drawings. Two months later windows and doors arrived at 8am on site and were gone by 4pm without any issues. A great luxury to slot the fitting into the build progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

If you have engaged a Architect / engineer to provide a construction set prior to starting the work these should provide provisional dimensions. It is then your contractors responsibility to ensure the opes fit the windows & vice versa. typically this would be done by forming the ope & the contractor taking final dimensions before ordering windows.

My suspicion is that you may be building or intending to build off a planning set or without a detailed design pack. In this case it would be important to agree all with the contractor/ blocklayer to ensure the windows fit.

Advertisement