Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

They ALWAYS blame the messenger when they cannot counter the argument. It's funny.

Total denial that MHQ is in the news every day for all the wrong reasons.

They must like swimming in Egypt. They are always in denial ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭CarProblem

Case numbers down - woo hoo, the adults are delivering
    Case numbers the worst in the world - deflect and blame anyone but the government

Longest lockdown - well we're putting health before business
    Open up at Xmas, ignoring health experts after intense lobbying from business (and despite whats claimed against what public polls indicated) and result in thousands of deaths and more lockdown - eh, sh!t, can we blame SF? Wait we'll say nobody saw it coming and hopefully the Irish Times will back us blindly again

Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

CarProblem wrote: »
    Case numbers down - woo hoo, the adults are delivering
    Case numbers the worst in the world - deflect and blame anyone but the government

Longest lockdown - well we're putting health before business
    Open up at Xmas, ignoring health experts after intense lobbying from business (and despite whats claimed against what public polls indicated) and result in thousands of deaths and more lockdown - eh, sh!t, can we blame SF? Wait we'll say nobody saw it coming and hopefully the Irish Times will back us blindly again

Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat

Well case numbers come down when government lockdown.

Case numbers go up when government open up.

I think thats pretty obvious.

People spread the virus, the government don't.

Am I missing something here????

• Registered Users Posts: 67,496 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Quarter 1 of this year I would be worried about, lot more people who normally work all the time on supports .

I think once the supports are taken away there will be an avalanche of businesses going under. Particularly in the hospitality sector. A lot of businesses destroyed and only kept going in name because of the supports. I pity anyone renting premises tbh.

Well case numbers come down when government lockdown.

Case numbers go up when government open up.

I think thats pretty obvious.

People spread the virus, the government don't.

Am I missing something here????

The government clearly missed it.

• Advertisement

The government clearly missed it.

Missed what??

Most countries have opened up and then locked down on numerous occasions during the pandemic as they learn more about the virus.

Do you want me to link countries who are now in trouble again after easing restrictions?

What's the point again???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

The coalition ignored the health experts advice. The experts who knew what would happen and it did.

Yes. And the opposition agreed. Plus more or less the whole country agreed too. We all need to reflect on the lessons learned. But its difficult to accept the wisdom of hindsight.

People travelling home for Christmas, many through Belfast, played their part. Closing the border was not feasible. The rate in Monaghan shot up for example, not from tourism or meat factories like you previously claimed, but from cross border travel. The drop in rate since vaccination in NI bears that out to a large extent.

Many countries had a Covid surge at Christmas. The data quoted reflect the Irish governments relative success in bringing it under control.

Yes. And the opposition agreed. Plus more or less the whole country agreed too. We all need to reflect on the lessons learned. But its difficult to accept the wisdom of hindsight.

People travelling home for Christmas, many through Belfast, played their part. Closing the border was not feasible. The rate in Monaghan shot up for example, not from tourism or meat factories like you previously claimed, but from cross border travel. The drop in rate since vaccination in NI bears that out to a large extent.

Many countries had a Covid surge at Christmas. The data quoted reflect the Irish governments relative success in bringing it under control.

The opposition agreeing or not doesn't remove the blame from those in power. You are just trying to deflect.

What's the point again???

Tbh I thought it was clear

Government cheerleaders on here applaud the government when cases fall

They deflect, makes up excuses and don't blame the government when they rise

The coalition ignored the health experts advice. The experts who knew what would happen and it did.

Well that's not true

The experts modelling was miles off.

Seems the advice wasn't so expert after all.

• Advertisement

Tbh I thought it was clear

Government cheerleaders on here applaud the government when cases fall

They deflect, makes up excuses and don't blame the government when they rise

Well governments implement lockdowns which causes cases to fall.

I still don't get what point you're making.

Plus more or less the whole country agreed too

This keeps being repeated but is simply not true - public polling at the time did not indicate this

https://twitter.com/TJRyan_77/status/1345824413044891656

And even if it did (it didn't) wouldn't that be populism? What the likes of you criticise the opposition for?

The government gave into lobbying from businesses (again). Part of that was the hospitality industry could be disingenuous and claim outbreaks weren't linked to restaurants and pubs when in fact the only reason the link couldn't be established was because of the abject failure the attempts at track and trace were

skimpydoo wrote: »
    The Journal.ie is as credible a source as the indo and the Irish Times. Darren O'Rourke, Paul Murphy, Roisin Shorthall are in opposition parties and they are holding the government to account. If they did not do this they would not be doing their job.

Does that make it credible?

I still don't get what point you're making.

Oh well I tried - i definitely though the second post pointing out the hypocrisy of the cheerleaders on here would do it but doesn't seem like it

Nobody saw it coming screamed the Irish Times

Podcast dated the 26th of November entitled "Covid-19 - We're About to Make a Terrible Mistake"

Oh well I tried - i definitely though the second post pointing out the hypocrisy of the cheerleaders on here would do it but doesn't seem like it

Government lockdown cases go down as people aren't moving around.

Government open up cases go up as people are moving around(taking the piss)

Simple logic really.

As I said the government doesn't spread the virus.

People spread it.

Nobody saw it coming screamed the Irish Times

Podcast dated the 26th of November entitled "Covid-19 - We're About to Make a Terrible Mistake"

The denials of all this are just obscene at this stage.

I try to stay out these threads for the sake of my own sanity. I'm actually convinced some of the posters are WUMs as they simply can't be that brainwashed

Can you link one party who objected to the opening at Christmas?

Can you link one party who objected to the opening at Christmas?

What has it got to do with party's that were not in power? The GOVERNMENT ignored the expert advice. If SF, PBP, Lab, all waved flags in agreement that doesn't excuse the GOVERNMENT.

• Advertisement

One can accept that the government bears responsibility for decisions taken at Christmas. They are the elected government by popular majority of the people.

By extension, one simply cannot accept criticism from parties who agreed with the actions taken, on the basis that it would be acceding to blatant hypocrisy. Similarly, individuals that flouted regulations have little grounds for finger pointing.

The corollary is that one must also give credit to the government for taking actions that have put Ireland in a position of having low case numbers and mortality rates relative to comparable EU countries, most of which also had Covid spikes at Christmas.

One must also recognise that Irelands vaccine programme is rolling out with relative speed compared to EU counterparts. That is, if one can accept facts.

One can accept that the government bears responsibility for decisions taken at Christmas. They are the elected government by popular majority of the people.

By extension, one simply cannot accept criticism from parties who agreed with the actions taken, on the basis that it would be acceding to blatant hypocrisy. Similarly, individuals that flouted regulations have little grounds for finger pointing.

The corollary is that one must also give credit to the government for taking actions that have put Ireland in a position of having low case numbers and mortality rates relative to comparable EU countries, most of which also had Covid spikes at Christmas.

One must also recognise that Irelands vaccine programme is rolling out with relative speed compared to EU counterparts. That is, if one can accept facts.

Some will never accept facts if it means agreeing with da gubberment.

The government is where the buck stops. Glad you agree.

BTW, the government was formed after the election. The 'government' wasn't elected therefore.

[QUOTE=FrancieBrady;116894107 BTW, the government was formed after the election. The 'government' wasn't elected therefore.[/QUOTE]
    Really? Wha are they doing running the country so?
    Oh, silly me. No one else wanted the job!

Again...divert.

Again...divert.

Again......facts.

Does that make it credible?
    Maybe not but just pointing out that the Journal is as credible as other news publications.

No nobody wanted to go in with SF and they did not want another election because of the pandemic and because FFG knew SF would gain more seats.

• Site Banned Posts: 71 ✭✭TheTruth21

Some will never accept facts if it means agreeing with da gubberment.

Can you agree with the fact, the govt since the first day NPHET said Hotel Quarantine was needed for all arrivals, the Govt have not listened.

Thats a fact

• Advertisement

TheTruth21 wrote: »
    Can you agree with the fact, the govt since the first day NPHET said Hotel Quarantine was needed for all arrivals, the Govt have not listened.

Thats a fact
    Don't forget Leo openly denigrating Holohan and also leaking info from a meeting with NPHET.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement