Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearm Training Cert

Options
  • 14-04-2021 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Just wondering, for my dad to be able to shoot my guns does he need a firearm training cert or an actual license, or what? He'd only be ever shooting them when he is with me and also he has had a firearm license for about 20 years in the past and knows more than even I do. What's the easiest way for legally to be able to shoot? Any advice really appreciated. Just a pain to be honest if we have to wait 3 months for him legally be able to shoot as wait times for a license are bit crazy. Is training cert any faster perhaps?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Just wondering, for my dad to be able to shoot my guns does he need a firearm training cert or an actual license, or what? He'd only be ever shooting them when he is with me and also he has had a firearm license for about 20 years in the past and knows more than even I do. What's the easiest way for legally to be able to shoot? Any advice really appreciated. Just a pain to be honest if we have to wait 3 months for him legally be able to shoot as wait times for a license are bit crazy. Is training cert any faster perhaps?

AFAIK the times for the "full" licence and cert are the same, since they go through the same process, so no reason not to go for the full.

Training certs were more intended for youngsters as their minimum age is 14 vs 16 for the full licence.

I do believe though that if you are planning on range shooting he could use your non restricted firearms there under your supervision, if that's any help?

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I can't see how the training cert would be any faster to be honest.

Just to add to what has already been mentioned: You also say 'for your dad to be able to shoot my guns'. So, multiple guns means either multiple licences or multiple training certs. He can only shoot whatever gun he has on his training cert or licence.

I'd recommend that your Dad licences the guns. That way he could shoot with you and also when you aren't there.

Advertisement