Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What if Ireland had not been neutral during WW2?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭spring lane jack

rock22 wrote: »
    Dev spoke against Mussolini in the league of nations and wanted the large countries of the world to take action after the invasion of Ethiopia. When they failed to, Dev lost trust in the large powers ever doing anything to aid the small nations, hence his strong position on neutrality.

There was no likelihood of Dev aligning with the Axis.

Despite pleas from the UK, and earlier France, the US remained resolutely neutral even after Pearl Harbour. It only entered the war in Europe after Hitler declared war on it. Hitler never declared war on Ireland in the same way.

It is also not likely that there would have been any popular support for entering the war amongst the general population here.

Of course not the Axis were dirtbags, I'm currently doing research on Poland's border changes and by god those people knew what suffering was. We were blessed not to be involved in the madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Markcheese wrote: »
    I doubt Colin's or anyone else would have led Ireland into the war early on , we had feic all to gain and lots to loose...
    We could have entered when it was fairly obvious that the Germans weren't going to win , but I don't think our assistance was a big deal by then ...and I don't think there's have been much change ,
    Even If there'd been a facist style coup/take over in the late 20s / 30s I reckon we'd have stayed neutral during the war , although there could well have been a forced regieme change at the wars end ...

It's a interesting question but I doubt there would have been a regime change in a Fascist Ireland as long as it didn't take up arms against the allies during the war, we probably would have got the same reaction Francos dictatorship got after the war ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,014 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

It's a interesting question but I doubt there would have been a regime change in a Fascist Ireland as long as it didn't take up arms against the allies during the war, we probably would have got the same reaction Francos dictatorship got after the war ended.
    This. Fascist or quasi-fascist regimes which remained neutral during the war survived for decades afterwards in Spain and Portugal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Post war Ireland would be part of NATO might have joined the EEC sooner enjoyed the benefits of the Marshall plan abandoning economic isolation industrializing during WW2 and benefitting from the post war boom without the plague of emigration. American and British air ground and nuclear forces would have been based here.

NATO possibly yes, but I doubt it would have pushed up EEC accession. Denmark were a founding member of NATO in 1949, however they only joined the EEC with us and the UK in 1973. Mainly due to fact that the Danes were like us heavily dependent on UK as an export market. If anything they were one of our main competitors for alot of agricultural exports to UK during the period.

Like us they applied to join in 1961 (along with UK), when de Gaulle veto UK accession, both us and Denmark withdrew our applications to join the EEC.

Dev spoke against Mussolini in the league of nations and wanted the large countries of the world to take action after the invasion of Ethiopia. When they failed to, Dev lost trust in the large powers ever doing anything to aid the small nations, hence his strong position on neutrality.
    I think it was more the case that DeValera didn't want to be dragged into a war, relying on a totally inadequate Irish army & navy, that would inevitably have to seek protection from Great Britain. It isn't that he felt anxious about Britain's willingness to 'step in', it's that this would have made a joke of our fledgling independence.

I doubt Abyssinia was much on his mind at all.

• Advertisement

dubhthach wrote: »
    NATO possibly yes, but I doubt it would have pushed up EEC accession. Denmark were a founding member of NATO in 1949, however they only joined the EEC with us and the UK in 1973. Mainly due to fact that the Danes were like us heavily dependent on UK as an export market. If anything they were one of our main competitors for alot of agricultural exports to UK during the period.

Like us they applied to join in 1961 (along with UK), when de Gaulle veto UK accession, both us and Denmark withdrew our applications to join the EEC.
    Worth pointing out that, like ourselves, Denmark was neutral during the war. This didn't stop them from being invaded and occupied by Germany but, unlike Norway or the Netherlands, say, who were occupied at the same time, they didn't then become belligerents with a government-in-exile co-ordinating resistance to the occupation; the King and the government remained in Copenhagen and continued to govern Denmark, formally neutral in the war but co-operating grudgingly with the German occupation.

The notion that Ireland was unusual in preferring neutrality, and that this was caused either by spinelessness or by hostility to the UK, is one cherished by the more stupid kind of British nationalist, but it's balls. A great many European countries adopted a policy of neutrality, and persisted in it until actually attacked or invaded by one belligerent or another - Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Greece, Yugoslavia, doubtless others. (And of course this was also the policy pursued by the United States.) Ireland's policy regarding participation in the war was pretty much the standard policy of smaller European states. We were simply fortunate in that our geographical position meant that none of the belligerents felt the need to attack us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

I think it was more the case that DeValera didn't want to be dragged into a war, relying on a totally inadequate Irish army & navy, that would inevitably have to seek protection from Great Britain. It isn't that he felt anxious about Britain's willingness to 'step in', it's that this would have made a joke of our fledgling independence.

See League of nations bill

Perhaps you should read up on the period before dismissing my post

See League of nations bill

Perhaps you should read up on the period before dismissing my post
    I'm not contesting DeValera's concern for the integrity of small states, more your claim that Abyssinia was in any way central to his influence on Irish neutrality.

Take your statement "Dev lost trust in the large powers ever doing anything to aid the small nations, hence his strong position on neutrality"

That's really a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

You said

All the evidence suggest otherwise, his internationalism and his support for international interventions via the League of Nations. The Abyssinian crisis was the point at which it became apparent that the 'great powers' were only interested in their own imperial ambitions and that nothing should be expected from them. And he was proved right. His address to the league of nations make it clear he was in favour of agreed international intervention in principle. Nothing in the lead up to WW2 would have served to change his mind. I also believe that his position was widely understood and shared by most of the political thinkers in Ireland at the time , (? with the exception of Duffy).
    Had the great powers used the league of Nations to address the German aggression then Ireland would almost certainly have been to the forefront in that intervention . But Ireland was not willing to align with one or other belligerent in order to aid their imperial ambitions around balance of power. etc.

The change in position and sentiment of Ireland , ( or de Valera) , is clear up to and then after the Abyssinian crisis. It was a turning point and , luckily for us, ensured we remained neutral when the conflict inevitably

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Worth pointing out that, like ourselves, Denmark was neutral during the war. This didn't stop them from being invaded and occupied by Germany but, unlike Norway or the Netherlands, say, who were occupied at the same time, they didn't then become belligerents with a government-in-exile co-ordinating resistance to the occupation; the King and the government remained in Copenhagen and continued to govern Denmark, formally neutral in the war but co-operating grudgingly with the German occupation.

The notion that Ireland was unusual in preferring neutrality, and that this was caused either by spinelessness or by hostility to the UK, is one cherished by the more stupid kind of British nationalist, but it's balls. A great many European countries adopted a policy of neutrality, and persisted in it until actually attacked or invaded by one belligerent or another - Denmark, Norway, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia, Greece, Yugoslavia, doubtless others. (And of course this was also the policy pursued by the United States.) Ireland's policy regarding participation in the war was pretty much the standard policy of smaller European states. We were simply fortunate in that our geographical position meant that none of the belligerents felt the need to attack us.

My point was purely about EEC membership in post war scenario, and not about Neutrality. Again if we had entered war and then post-war been a founding member of NATO in 1949, it's still probable we wouldn't have joined the then EEC until 1973, just like situation with Denmark.

Likewise in scenario where we stayed Neutral but then join NATO in 1949 (something Gov. decided against as it would entail recognising position of Northern Ireland as integral part of the UK), we would still not have ended up in the EEC until 1973.

The issue here been that like Denmark our accession was tied to whether the UK applied or not given it's position as the dominant trading partner for both countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Did Dev keep us out of WWII?

The most important contribution he made to keeping us neutral non-belligerent was his negotiation of the return of the treaty ports with Chamberlain pre-war.

When you consider Eire remaining neutral you have to ask at what point would she have entered the war? In September 1939, highly unlikely any political majority would have supported it at that time. Remember neutrality was the default position of just about every democracy in Western Europe with the exception of France and Britain.

after the fall of France? Even less likely than in '39.

After the invasion of the Soviet Union? Still very unlikely as most believed that German Troops would be in Moscow within a few months.

After Germany declared war on the U.S.? This period from say early 1942 on is the most likely if a government of a different hue had been in power but there's little evidence that a majority in the state were in favour of entering the war even as late as '44.

I'd be pretty confident that there was no majority in Ireland in favour of entering the war at any point. Why would there be.

Our position was, in a much smaller way, not wildly different from that of the US; not unsympathetic to the allied cause, and not averse to assisting in ways that didn't too obviously infringe neutral status, but not wishing to fight. The US position altered when Japan attacked it and Germany declared war on it and, if something analogous had happened to Ireland, I dare say our position would likewise have altered.

Yes I agree.

Perhaps a more interesting question would be to ask should Eire have joined and if so at what point? But that's a moral and selfish judgement that we make with the benefit of hindsight.

Well, indeed. What looks to us like the most compelling moral argument for opposing Naziism - viz, the Holocaust - was wholly unknown to those who would have made any decision about whether Ireland should enter the war. We can hardly criticise them for that, or use it to second-guess the judgment they made.

We have to remember that this was less than 20 years since the War of Independence, and the political leadership on both sides of Irish politics had been participants in that war. Ireland was a country in which almost everybody could remember the Black-and-Tans from their own experience. And, in the 1930s, English journalists trying to explain to English readers what Nazi Germany was like would often invoke the Black-and-Tans. So the stark moral contrast that we see between the Allies and the Axis was not at all evident at the time; the Nazis were less egregiously evil, and the UK less obviously virtuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

I don't think we should have ever entered in to the war at any stage, the cons far out weigh the pros.

Ireland in the 1930's/40's was a very poor country, with a population of just 3 million, that's how many Germans invaded the USSR, the whole population of Ireland. We had a much smaller army than most on the European mainland, poor infrastructure, a weak economy that largely depended upon exports to the UK, a Anglo-Irish trade war made things even harder.

I think we would have been a bigger liability than an asset to the allies. Plus it would give the Nazi's a pre-text to invade Ireland & if successful would give the Nazi's a springboard for invading the UK mainland, a bit like what the French revolutionary army tried to do in 1795 accompanied by Wolfe Tone. We would have been the weight on the Brits, that Italy was on Germany, having to save them in Greece & northern Italy.

I think we would have been more use staying military neutral while passing on intelligence & information to the Allies, and help encouraging Irish men & women to join the US or British Army.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,709 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The US had the means to fight, whereas we had a ramshackle collection of ww1 era hardware and a fisheries protection vessel with a pea shooter on it.

The Irish naval service (formally the Coastal and Marine Service) was somewhat larger than you suggest (and, little-known fact, one of its vessels participated in the Dunkirk evacuation operation) but, yeah, the direct military contribution that Ireland could make to the Allied cause was negligible. I think the main value to the Allies of Irish participation would have been the ability to locate air and sea bases in Ireland to assist in protecting the North Atlantic convoy route, and for long-range operations into Europe.

"I think we would have been a bigger liability than an asset to the allies. Plus it would give the Nazi's a pre-text to invade Ireland & if successful would give the Nazi's a springboard for invading the UK mainland, a bit like what the French revolutionary army tried to do in 1795 accompanied by Wolfe Tone."

Hitler was quite capable of inventing pre-texts to invade and continued Irish neutrality was a German foreign policy aim but had the Soviet Union been conquered in 1941 it's more than likely that by the Spring-Summer of 1942 the invasion of the UK including Eire would again have been activated.

Yeah. Whatever about invading Ireland along with the UK (which I think was the Nazi plan), I can't see them invading Ireland in advance of the UK, to use as a springboard. For one thing, Ireland was a lot further away. For another, the UK was in the way. Getting an invading army across the English Channel on barges would have been a piece of cake compared to shipping one around the coast of Cornwall and through the Celtic Sea to the South-East coast of Ireland. I think the Royal Navy would have made Mulligan's mother of them. Plus, the UK could have got troops into Ireland to resist a German invasion far faster than the Germans could have got their forces to Ireland.

Getting Eire into the war was important for the UK from June '40 to December '41 but a lot less so after America entered and adopted a 'Germany-first' policy.

I know someone who met Churchill in his final years and on learning that this person was from Dublin his first question was 'why didn't Ireland join the fight against Nazism?' This person said they were too young at the time and so didn't know but that in their belief we should have. My own belief is that with the benefit of hindsight we could have joined in 1942 and while we couldn't have prior to that we probably should have.

But it's all academic at this stage.

• Advertisement

It’s unlikely they would have even tried to invade either country unless they had a better navy and airforce. Sure the army would have won, probably, if the invasion did take place.

Because U.S. troops began arriving in NI in early '42 and Dev made a big noise about this being de facto American recognition of partition showing just how out of touch he and others like him were with the realities of world politics at that time.

With the stalling of the German advance in the East and Germany's declaration of war on the U.S. they (Germany) were facing what they had hoped to avoid namely a war on two fronts.

By joining in 1942 we could have argued that we were supporting the U.S. against Axis aggression but instead democratic Irish republicanism was more comfortable maintaining the cosy obsession with 'the national question'.

I dunno. Not many other countries felt motivated to enter the war in 1942 to support the US against Nazi aggression — in fact, I can't think of any. So I don't see why Ireland would have. All the considerations which militated against Ireland declaring war in 1939 were still operating in 1942.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭I told ya

IIRC the Late Robert Fisk wrote a book titled 'In Time of War', part of a PhD in TCD in the early 1980s. He toured the west coast, researching and interviewing, and concluded that there was no basis for the British claims that Ireland gave assistance to the Uboats.

I accept there may have been isolated incidents, eg a fishing boat may have encountered the odd one, may have given or traded some fish. But I would have thought that the size of the fishing boats back then would have been small and stayed relatively close to the shore.

Nicaragua declared war on the Axis in December '41, Turkey considered joining as the war progressed in favour of the Allies and eventually joined, rather opportunistically in 1945. Portugal allowed the use of the Azores so effectively ended its strict neutrality.

No I don't agree, the war had become a world war in 1942 whereas in 1939 it was another European war of conquest, the situation had changed dramatically with the involvement of Italy (mid-1940), Soviet Union (June '41), Japan & USA (December '41) and the Chinese-Japanese conflict became part of the wider war at this time. Lots of other minor players like Finland also joined the war as it progressed. Italy even changed sides in 1943.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

De Valera got most things wrong but he got this 100% right and saved the lives of thousands of Irishmen who would have been needlessly sacrificed for something that had nothing to do with us.

On another note those who abandoned their duty to the state during the emergency and went to fight for the British empire should at the very least have been arrested and jailed on their return or even shot for treason.

The Irish barely had oil for oil lamps in their houses let alone giving away thousands of gallons for free to a U boat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Ireland adopted a very pragmatic approach to the 2nd WW but morally should have joined at least in 42 as you point out , the Fledgling Irish State was unpopular internationally and this decision reinforced that; interestingly the first head of state to officially visit Ireland was Kennedy in 63 long after the foundation of the state and but for him breaking the logjam the isolation could have lasted much longer.

• Advertisement

(and, little-known fact, one of its vessels participated in the Dunkirk evacuation operation)

Was this not an urban legend/yarn?

Advertisement