Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar Power & Battery

Options
  • 27-01-2021 11:17am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I got a quote for a 5Kw system (14 x 360W panels) and a 3.5Kw battery. Cost after grant is c. €7.2k

We have a garage that is south facing so all good on that front. House is currently been rewired so it might be the chance to get it done now will all the wok is been done.

What should I be asking for when dealing with the companies?

Is there any recommendations for companies out there?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I have a Nissan Leaf also. The sales man says he we should ditch the battery and use the leaf as the'battery'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

godtabh wrote: »
    I have a Nissan Leaf also. The sales man says he we should ditch the battery and use the leaf as the'battery'.

He needs to ditch about €2k off the price when he removes the battery from your quote.

To utilise the Leaf for dumping the excess you need to have a smart Solar integrated charge point. What have you got right now for charging the Leaf?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

He is quoting battery at 3k

Without the battery its €7.2 less the €1.8k SEAI grant

Havent got the leaf charger installed yet. Car is arriving shortly.

Based on the image in the Network Ireland broucher its the following

https://evchargingireland.ie/home-ev-charging/

EO MINI PRO 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Get more quotes for non-battery systems. Battery systems only barely make financial sense at the moment and it is looking like we will have a feed it tarrif in some form this year which will reduce the argument for them significantly.

Alkers wrote: »
    Get more quotes for non-battery systems. Battery systems only barely make financial sense at the moment and it is looking like we will have a feed it tarrif in some form this year which will reduce the argument for them significantly.

Any recommendations on suppliers?

Any recommendations on suppliers?

I went with the "solar as a service" supplier who I can't fault and was by far the most competitive price I could get (before Xmas). It is worth gettting an indicative quote off as many suppliers as you can, it's the same questions they each ask so once you've done one it's not much hassle to get more quotes. The discrepancy in pricing and some of the outlandish quotes you'll get are eye opening.

Sorry to drag this up again.

Have a few quotes in. Getting conflicting accounts of 5kw vs 2.4 kw. There is about €1800 in the price.

Where is the sweet spot in terms of panel size?

Sorry to drag this up again.

Have a few quotes in. Getting conflicting accounts of 5kw vs 2.4 kw. There is about €1800 in the price.

Where is the sweet spot in terms of panel size?

Depends on your usage and will change once the fit is announced. If it's low, a smaller array (which you use most of the generated power) is likely the sweet spot, if the fit is higher, more panels the merrier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Seems high, the pylontech 3. 5kwh battery can be bought by you for 1300, so he's charging over double that. Chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Is it easy to buy a battery after the fact? I have a battery and on days like today it full already, wouldn’t mind adding a few more KW storage to it

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Is it easy to buy a battery after the fact? I have a battery and on days like today it full already, wouldn’t mind adding a few more KW storage to it

For pylontech it is, more or less plug and play, few cables to hook up between the battery units. I can't speak to others as have not looked into them. Your inverter must be a hybrid one of course, but if you already have a battery that's the case anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

They also weigh a bit, hopefully your first one was mounted with a double bracket so as tails said its a simple plug and play cable hook up.
    If yours was installed with a single bracket then you will need to get a double bracket.
    They also fit in standard sized comms cabinet...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

tails_naf wrote: »
    Seems high, the pylontech 3. 5kwh battery can be bought by you for 1300, so he's charging over double that. Chancer.

The hybrid Vs standard inverter will make up some of that 3k though

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭E30M3

I'd say after fit comes in there might be second hand batteries at more competitive prices on the market as the benefits from a battery will be diminished. If you have a Pylontech battery it should be straightforward to add another, if you have a cabinet and space for 1.

I have no idea on prices currently.

Advertisement