Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

For those grill mat nay sayers you still get seared grill marks on your food as per photo. Also it keeps the juices around the meat during cooking rather than dripping away. It’s also a dream for cleaning and having no mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

jarvis wrote: »
    For those grill mat nay sayers you still get seared grill marks on your food as per photo. Also it keeps the juices around the meat during cooking rather than dripping away. It’s also a dream for cleaning and having no mess.

But surely the whole point of grilling is that the fat and juices drip onto the hot coals/bars and vapourises giving that bbq flavour?

Surely using a grill mat would give the same results as a frying pan?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

What did you rub it with, and did you just put those spuds underneath the chicken to cook in the drippings??

Rub was a mix of paprika, brown sugar, and cayenne. The potatoes were below it, yes, but I added too much beer in the pan and they sort of boiled. They’ll be better next time

But surely the whole point of grilling is that the fat and juices drip onto the hot coals/bars and vapourises giving that bbq flavour?

Surely using a grill mat would give the same results as a frying pan?

I see what you mean here, I only use the grill plate when grilling small things that may fall down through the grates. Even if using the matt, it would allow to give some smokey flavour (if you add wood, that is)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

What's food like if you don't rub meat with anything? Still need to get a bottle of gas but will probably just use basic chicken fillets and burgers.

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    What's food like if you don't rub meat with anything? Still need to get a bottle of gas but will probably just use basic chicken fillets and burgers.

Well, I'd add oil, salt and pepper.
    Lovely just like that.

DaveyDave wrote: »

For chicken thighs (much, much better than fillets): 7:2:2 rub (7 grams of coarse salt, 2 of crushed black pepper and 2 of garlic powder) takes 2 minutes to prepare (I do about 22 grams and it’s enough for 6-8 thighs)

I’m ordering a suckling piglet (small). I’m planning to do it in my gas grill with the rotisserie attachment. I’ll keep you posted. Any tips?

I’m ordering a suckling piglet (small). I’m planning to do it in my gas grill with the rotisserie attachment. I’ll keep you posted. Any tips?

Apart from, try not to overcook it, no.
    Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Where are you ordering one? Would love to try one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Glebee

Thats sounds fcuking lovely, what time will I call over at????:D:D

Where are you ordering one? Would love to try one.

Trying from fxbuckley

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

You see suckling pigs in shrink wrap in big Spanish supermarkets. When she was younger, my daughter wanted me to buy one so we could bury it! :)

You see suckling pigs in shrink wrap in big Spanish supermarkets. When she was younger, my daughter wanted me to buy one so we could bury it! :)

Yes, I’m Spanish, so I will be adapting some Spanish recipe for rub/marinade, even though I think it’s super simple (probably salt pepper and a little lore). It’s very traditional in the central counties. Let’s hope the price is not prohibitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Oh my I laughed out loud at this. The innocence. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Trying from fxbuckley

Let us know how you get on and if they sort you out! Might do similar later in the summer when we can have a few people over help me eat it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 sron briste

Total newbie to bbqs and clueless but want to get a portable one. I like the look of this one but it says i will need a hose and regulator.

https://shop.calorgas.ie/cadac-safari-chef-2-pro-qr.html?currency=EUR&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpdqDBhCSARIsAEUJ0hMnGkPpYa7frYikLXZtSXxUd9O_MydEPQ-1EeksU7ZjV6L2vqYQ3joaAkEbEALw_wcB

Are the hose+regulator easy to get? Can i get one with the gas cylinder?

Appreciate any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭Kat1170

No idea about the BBQ but they sell hose and regulators as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

I'm looking at the sahara 3 burner oak gas barbecue.

Would anyone have an idea if it's worth a punt?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

Tilikum17 wrote: »

In the same boat, although I've put an order in so I'm hoping it's a winner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

It looks the business alright. Had the Phoenix 3 Burner ordered in Woodies but saw the Sahara when I went in, was only 50 quid more.

Kinda wished I picked it up instead but the phoenix looks decent enough too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭wassie

Just picked up one myself. If you are thinking about it you may want to grab one as stocks are low across the country. Sahara are selling these direct from their website for €435.00 (inc shipping) and not available until mid May. Materials were well packed, no damage and instructions are very clear to follow.

You would be hard pressed to get something at that price point (€350 @Woodies) with similar quality & features. For me it was decent quality materials (incl grilling plates that also works with the Sahara accessories), gas bottle storage & grease drip tray. I also like that it fits their accessories, like the griddle pan. No rotisserie option and side burner, but I have no use for these myself. I have a preference for timber also, but others may be put off by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

I bought a phoenix 2 burner from woodies today and I'm shocked at how poor the gas flow is on it, takes ages to cook anything, pressure looks very low coming out of the burner when on turned to high.
    I'm just thinking would this be due to me having it connected to butane as its a lower pressure regulator?
    Would I get a better outcome having it connected to propane?
    I had a propane one before this and the gas coming out was great I could cook with the lid open or closed.
    This one tends to need the lid closed at all times to get anywhere but still takes a life time to cook.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd say it's the gas all right. Butane is no good for barbecues, you really do need propane.

I'd say it's the gas all right. Butane is no good for barbecues, you really do need propane.

Great to hear that and it's not the bbq, it was just a friend gave me a free bottle of it to save me buying one, I had intended to buy propane when it's empty but was thinking the bbq was at fault

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You'll need to change the regulator on your hose for the propane cylinder, of course.

You'll need to change the regulator on your hose for the propane cylinder, of course.

Ah yes I've done that I took the propane one off the bbq and stuck the one from the heater on it for the butane, when I buy the propane it will be going back to the heater

spider_pig wrote: »
    I bought a phoenix 2 burner from woodies today and I'm shocked at how poor the gas flow is on it, takes ages to cook anything, pressure looks very low coming out of the burner when on turned to high.
    I'm just thinking would this be due to me having it connected to butane as its a lower pressure regulator?
    Would I get a better outcome having it connected to propane?
    I had a propane one before this and the gas coming out was great I could cook with the lid open or closed.
    This one tends to need the lid closed at all times to get anywhere but still takes a life time to cook.

Don’t know about the 2 burner, but I have a 4+1 burner Phoenix since last year and it’s working perfectly still (2-3 times per week). I only had to change a screw a month or so ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

wassie wrote: »
    Just picked up one myself. If you are thinking about it you may want to grab one as stocks are low across the country. Sahara are selling these direct from their website for €435.00 (inc shipping) and not available until mid May. Materials were well packed, no damage and instructions are very clear to follow.

You would be hard pressed to get something at that price point (€350 @Woodies) with similar quality & features. For me it was decent quality materials (incl grilling plates that also works with the Sahara accessories), gas bottle storage & grease drip tray. I also like that it fits their accessories, like the griddle pan. No rotisserie option and side burner, but I have no use for these myself. I have a preference for timber also, but others may be put off by this.

Hopefully if it’s there tomorrow I’ll grab one.

• Advertisement

Don’t know about the 2 burner, but I have a 4+1 burner Phoenix since last year and it’s working perfectly still (2-3 times per week). I only had to change a screw a month or so ago

I'd say it's down to the butane having lower pressure and as it heats lower to propane. It does be on full blast bit it's a poor amount of gas coming out for it when it's on high. I was going to buy propane but a work mate gave me a full bottle of the propane

Advertisement