Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Road Surveyor on Boyne Bridge late at night

Options
  • 12-04-2021 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi,

I was driving up to staying overnight with my Grandmother last night. At 9pm approx I was crossing the Boyne Bridge. Was doing 125-130 behind another car as I crossed the bridge when I noticed what looked like a road surveyor with a laser tripod just after the end of the bridge

Caused me to panic a bit as I have never seen the gardas located there, I was wondering should I be worried or has anyone else seen the quantity surveyors on the bridge lately?

thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

Otac0n wrote: »
    Hi,

I was driving up to staying overnight with my Grandmother last night. At 9pm approx I was crossing the Boyne Bridge. Was doing 125-130 behind another car as I crossed the bridge when I noticed what looked like a road surveyor with a laser tripod just after the end of the bridge

Caused me to panic a bit as I have never seen the gardas located there, I was wondering should I be worried or has anyone else seen the quantity surveyors on the bridge lately?

thanks!

Anyone working that late is being rode by their employer and needs to change jobs. Surveying is not that essential at this late hour

• Registered Users Posts: 24,952 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Anyone working that late is being rode by their employer and needs to change jobs. Surveying is not that essential at this late hour
    :confused: Roads are regularly surveyed at night when traffic is lighter. Would you fancy checking the surface of lane 3 on the M50 at 8am?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Hi,

thanks!

think you need to slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Nozebleed wrote: »
    think you need to slow down.
    Oh, grandpa, 125kmh when streets are empty and it's a ghost town is perfectly fine. Kids should already be sleeping, teens be at home and other pedestrians should be watching where they cross (so many of them don't look before they cross and cross wherever they want).

As long as Gardai don't care about their own bad driving habits, average citizen don't have to follow the rules of the rods. So many times seen Gardai driving and using a phone, passing the red light while not responding as no lights and siren was on, switching lanes where prohibited, parking on cycling or pedestrian lanes without lights, speeding very often without light and siren etc etc...).

If Gardai, who are to protect people, don't give a **** about citizens, why citizens should? Gardai is setting such a bad example and promoting a wrong attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Citrus_8 wrote: »
    As long as Gardai don't care about their own bad driving habits, average citizen don't have to follow the rules of the rods.

Fascinating.

When did this all come in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Wait, pedestrians crossing! On what road were you doing 125-130?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Otac0n

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Wait, pedestrians crossing! On what road were you doing 125-130?

It was on the M1 south bound crossing the McAleese Bridge. Van was positioned at the end of the bridge. This is after the flyover section

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

It was on the M1 south bound crossing the McAleese Bridge. Van was positioned at the end of the bridge. This is after the flyover section

Motorway makes more sense. It also makes the thing about kids already sleeping, teens being at home and other pedestrians should watch where they cross irrelevant.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Fascinating.

When did this all come in?
    I will start recording one day, just need to get a dash cam. But well, when... Constantly, at least a few times a year I can such things happening in Dublin city centre or outskirts... I've seen enough of bad examples and puts me way off when someone is talking about rules of the road because I am a responsible long term driver with no penalties, but I tend to think I'm too careful on comparison to careless Gardai.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Motorway makes more sense. It also makes the thing about kids already sleeping, teens being at home and other pedestrians should watch where they cross irrelevant.
    To be honest, I wouldn't mind driving over the speed limit on a city road/street when streets are empty. I was a bit irrelevant in this case, just the situation reminded me how Gardai are driving irresponsibly and that regular citizens are being expected to keep the rules which is just inequality and Gardai using their authority to break the rules, show off and and setting a bad example... Well, I'm repeating myself, apologies.

• Advertisement

:confused: Roads are regularly surveyed at night when traffic is lighter. Would you fancy checking the surface of lane 3 on the M50 at 8am?

Have done using traffic control and proper traffic management

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Have done using traffic control and proper traffic management

BS traffic management isn't permitted on the M50 at peak times

Alkers wrote: »
    BS traffic management isn't permitted on the M50 at peak times

Yes it is

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Citrus_8 wrote: »
    Oh, grandpa, 125kmh when streets are empty and it's a ghost town is perfectly fine.
    But there **was** a pedestrian.
    quantity surveyors
    QSs do cost control for construction. People who survey roads are called road surveyors, although engineers with do it sometimes and there is some overlap with land surveying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Having done road maintenance for a living

It's quite likely it was some surveying.
    They would not need traffic management if working off the blacktop.
    For example litter pickers on the grass do not need TM.

If he was using something like a lazer scanner it would make sense to do at night.
    Every car needs to be removed from the scan, the less the better.

No problem with him/her crossing the lanes etc to do their job. Trained for it.

Advertisement