Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cities around the world that are reducing car access

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

cgcsb wrote: »
    Dublin has a series of interconnected projects that can't happen without eachother so nothing happens.

And all are used as excuses not to act on the other. All very convenient. Dubliners and it's city council need to realise that big changes are needed and big changes come with sacrifices, it will never be only benefits all round for everybody affected by them. Unfortunately in Dublin we seem to have come to some sort of agreement that nobpdy in the entire city should be inconvenvienced by any necessary major infrastructure projects, even temporarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Dublin has a series of interconnected projects that can't happen without eachother so nothing happens.

In the case of College Greem you need to be realistic about this. The bus service has to keep moving.

As explained elsewhere in detail, implementing the new bus network is going to take time for very good reasons, rather than the ludicrously unrealistic original timeframes suggested by the NTA, which were impossible even if the first draft of the network had been acceptable.

But it is about to start.

I suspect that once some of the spines have been implemented, that some of the remaining cross-city routes using College Green could probably be re-routed in advance of the final spine implementations, but that will need a co-ordinated approach to it.

DCC didn't help themselves by coming up with utterly daft proposals for re-routing the buses orignally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

. Weren't they going to pedestrianise college green, build a new city library at Parnell Sq and build a liffey cycle route? all forgotten about after millions spent.

(Interim) Liffey Cycle route southside under construction at the moment.

But yes. 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    (Interim) Liffey Cycle route southside under construction at the moment.

But yes. ��

Interim being laid out now is grand and all but ten years and tens of millions for the start of an 'interim' scheme is an utter failure, there would have been mass sackings in any civilised country over this alone never mind the long list of other failures. And that's ignoring that the latest publicised plans for the permanent Liffey cycle route are nothing short of a dogs dinner, that ignores DMURS, the national cycling manual and the lives of cyclists and pedestrians. It will have to go back to design a blank sheet when DCC gets around to it again.

I guess we'll be told the permanent scheme can't start until the CBC busconnects project is finished and the CBC bus connects project wont be able to start without the liffey cycle route being in place, and round and round we go. It's all a vicious circle of obstructionism.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

LXFlyer wrote: »
    In the case of College Greem you need to be realistic about this. The bus service has to keep moving.

As explained elsewhere in detail, implementing the new bus network is going to take time for very good reasons, rather than the ludicrously unrealistic original timeframes suggested by the NTA, which were impossible even if the first draft of the network had been acceptable.

But it is about to start.

I suspect that once some of the spines have been implemented, that some of the remaining cross-city routes using College Green could probably be re-routed in advance of the final spine implementations, but that will need a co-ordinated approach to it.

DCC didn't help themselves by coming up with utterly daft proposals for re-routing the buses orignally.

So ban non bus traffic (and enforce it) until busconnects is ready to go. During the first lockdown I spent a lot of time wandering around the city centre and college green was a much more pleasant experience with the reduced traffic volumes. So, was the whole city centre but that is a talk for another day.

• Advertisement

Ah would ya look :D Maybe DCC were reading the disgruntled posts on here about Merrion Row
    https://twitter.com/GraemeMcQ/status/1381139355511717888

Would be great. Some work on bus diversions though. Merrion row is lethal at present. It's a wonder nobody has been killed so far.

Would be great. Some work on bus diversions though. Merrion row is lethal at present. It's a wonder nobody has been killed so far.

The likely diversions for bus routes are not that difficult to figure out, but removing them from Merrion Row means that the Dublin Bus routes affected would no longer serve Kildare Street and moves them further away from the St Stephen's Green/Harcourt Street areas with less useful stop locations to those areas. But they have done that already with the Xpresso services.

The likely diversions for the bus routes would be:

Dublin Bus routes 25/a/b/d inbound from Lucan
    Nassau Street - Clare Street - Merrion Square West to Merrion Square South

Dublin Bus routes 38/a/b/d, 39/a/x, and 70 towards Baggot Street and UCD
    Nassau Street, South Leinster Street, Clare Street, Merrion Square West and Upper Merrion Street to Baggot Street Lower

Bus Eireann routes 103X and 105X northbound from UCD
    St Stephen's Green East - St Stephen's Green North - Dawson Street - Molesworth Street - Kildare Street, Nassau Street, South Leinster Street to Lincoln Place

Go-Ahead route 125 inbound towards UCD
    St Stephen's Green East - St Stephen's Green North - Dawson Street - Molesworth Street - Kildare Street, Nassau Street, South Leinster Street, Clare Street, Merrion Square West and Upper Merrion Street to Baggot Street Lower

It does mean that general traffic from Cuffe Street and St Stephen's Green South and East would be re-routed via SSG North, Kildare Street, Molesworth Street, South Frederick Street to Nassau Street.

Under BusConnects none of the Spine routes were planned to use Merrion Row, but it was to be used by quite a few radial routes inbound from south Dublin:

Routes 22, 23 and 24 en route from SSG East to Merrion Square terminus
    Routes 82 and 82 from SSG East to Merrion Street Upper towards Ringsend
    Routes 86, 87 and 88 from SSG East to Merrion Street Upper towards Mountjoy Square

They can probably all divert via SSG North, Dawson Street, Molesworth Street and Kildare Street to South Leinster Street - serving SSG North would keep a bus stop in that area for those routes.

I forgot Dublin Bus Airlink 757 in that list too towards the Airport - it would presumably divert via St Stephen's Green East - St Stephen's Green North - Dawson Street - Molesworth Street - Kildare Street, Nassau Street, South Leinster Street to Lincoln Place.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Ah would ya look :D Maybe DCC were reading the disgruntled posts on here about Merrion Row
    https://twitter.com/GraemeMcQ/status/1381139355511717888
    I wonder will the part of Capel St be north or south of Parnell St?

As for pedestrianizing Merrion Row, Jaysus. It'll force a lot of traffic down Dawson St or Fredrick St. I hope Google Maps gets updated!

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    I wonder will the part of Capel St be north or south of Parnell St?

As for pedestrianizing Merrion Row, Jaysus. It'll force a lot of traffic down Dawson St or Fredrick St. I hope Google Maps gets updated!

I'd imagine Capel Street will be pedestrianised as far south as Mary Street in order to link up those pedestrianisations.

Merrion Row will be class though , there's 3 pubs and 7 cafes/restaurants on that tiny little stretch, and a bank and a post office. Say it will be like Dame Lane levels of busy on a summer's day. Would be nice if the Huguenot cemetary could be turned into a public pocket park too, don't know if it's state owned or what's the story.

Capel Street at the south end needs an extension of footpaths instead of having a whopping three lanes of traffic. Also no word on Liffey Street, North Stephen's Green and the pathetic few meters of side streets around grafton we were promised.

Capel Street at the south end needs an extension of footpaths instead of having a whopping three lanes of traffic. Also no word on Liffey Street, North Stephen's Green and the pathetic few meters of side streets around grafton we were promised.

When was anything mentioned about N. Stephens green lately? Can't recall, what's the plan?

When was anything mentioned about N. Stephens green lately? Can't recall, what's the plan?

I could be dusting off the shelves a bit but apparently about 5 years ago we were to have pedestrianiszed Stephen's Green Between Grafton St and Dawson St. Presently a dangerously narrow footpath on the building side.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I could be dusting off the shelves a bit but apparently about 5 years ago we were to have pedestrianiszed Stephen's Green Between Grafton St and Dawson St. Presently a dangerously narrow footpath on the building side.

*blows dust off the covers*

vdyHQpsl.jpg

It didn't last very long. Here it is:

SHhZTyVl.jpg

Yes, the grave yard of projects that never happened because.... well they weren't bothered really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Of all the places in Dublin just made for outdoor living, the south facing buildings on Stephens Green must be the best. It gets all the sun and looks across to the park.

Instead we get a double parked taxi rank, horse**** and traffic :(

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Of all the places in Dublin just made for outdoor living, the south facing buildings on Stephens Green must be the best. It gets all the sun and looks across to the park.

Instead we get a double parked taxi rank, horse**** and traffic :(

Shure that's all we deserve, and some shpeel about white water rafting and some Palestine flags. Basically none of these people really care what becomes of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I know this is just a trial but will hopefully inform and guide serious moves to pedestrianise Merrion Row, flush out all the complaints and then address them in the actual proposal to cut the naysayers off before they get going.

Any plan to pedestrianise Merrion Row should also take in Hume Street and Ely Place as part of the solution. By making both Hume Street and Ely Place two way streets, it should be possible to maintain all routes and accesses while pedestrianising Merrion Row. Both streets are quite wide and parking could be reduced/removed if necessary. Proper loading bays should also be provided as what is/was allowed to happen there with deliveries is a disgrace.

I'd actually be happy for merrion row to continue to have one bus lane on it and give the rest to pedestrians. It would be a vast improvement to what's there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭p_haugh

p_haugh wrote: »

If we agreed to keep one bus lane going through Merrion Row, his position falls apart.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Meanwhile, in Cork, five days after they announced plans to pedestrianise 17 streets, they've just started.

Diggers go in as major works to pedestrianise 17 Cork city streets begin

I am delighted for Cork, but it's rage inducing that they can do this and Dublin can't. Pure jealousy on my part.

Meanwhile in Galway

EcPSrm2WsAAjnB--scaled.jpeg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

CatInABox wrote: »
    Meanwhile, in Cork, five days after they announced plans to pedestrianise 17 streets, they've just started.

Diggers go in as major works to pedestrianise 17 Cork city streets begin

I am delighted for Cork, but it's rage inducing that they can do this and Dublin can't. Pure jealousy on my part.

Fair play to Cork for getting the finger out and just fúcking doing it. I'm sick of how long it takes Dublin to implement these things and that is assuming they even get implemented instead of just being talked about for ages and then dropped.

What gets me in Dublin is that they find that the public, the state agencies involved and the businesses are strongly in favour, funding is available and then nothing happens, it's quietly dumped and the public isn't told what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭roadmaster

If DCC really wanted to make a difference they could go all in before life returns to normal and see where the chips fall. By this i mean ban all cars from the quays and have the North & South Quays only for public transport and dedicated bicycle lanes . It would probably cause outrage but if there ever going to try stop cars coming in to the city now is the time when car travel is reduced.

roadmaster wrote: »
    If DCC really wanted to make a difference they could go all in before life returns to normal and see where the chips fall. By this i mean ban all cars from the quays and have the North & South Quays only for public transport and dedicated bicycle lanes . It would probably cause outrage but if there ever going to try stop cars coming in to the city now is the time when car travel is reduced.

We've not even got 10m of South William St done yet. :pac:

roadmaster wrote: »

I have enjoyed some of the ambition over the last year regarding cycling and pedestrianisation priority, but it's still not enough considering the special opportunity presented , it's a once in a life time opportunity and really what we got during COVID was more like stuff that should have always been going in the background in Dublin all along regardless of the special circumstances COVID caused. I'm getting nervous now as ths is the only time this could be quickly implemented without major backlash stopping it in it's tracks, it's slipping through our fingers quite quickly and not even action is happening, the pandemic will largely be over by early Autumn you'd imagine, so that's the deadline for much of this stuff happening with any kind of ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Merrion Row will be class though , there's 3 pubs and 7 cafes/restaurants on that tiny little stretch, and a bank and a post office. Say it will be like Dame Lane levels of busy on a summer's day.
    Could see the area getting popular with the surrounding office staff, if more chairs were to happen.
    Would be nice if the Huguenot cemetary could be turned into a public pocket park too, don't know if it's state owned or what's the story.
    Although the last burial was in 1901, it's not open to visitors. It's maintained by DCC, but pretty sure they don't own it.

=-=

IMO, both Capel St & Merrion Row either happens before the lockdown stops and everyone goes back to work, or it doesn't happen at all.

Advertisement