Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best towns in Northern Ireland for Stags

• 10-04-2021 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hey,
    Organising stag for late in the year, probably going to head up North as it has a better chance of pubs being open then. If its all closed down then so be it, we will cancel, but if they are open I'm trying to figure our best options.

Ideally somewhere with good pub per square mileage in one central location. Thinking of a medium sized places, along the lines of Carrick or Kilkenny, where everything's pretty central.

Am thinking the likes of Enniskillen, Omagh, Derry, Newry but have no clue the quality of nightlife in any of them!

Anyone have any suggestions, even random spots that I probably wouldn't have even thought of!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

None, everywhere closes too early and the natives are not very friendly.

If you’re “stuck” and have to go then I’d say stick with Derry.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,700 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Misread the title as "best town for slags"! Freudian slip?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Assuming you're avoiding Belfast, go for Derry as it has a greater number of pubs and is more used to tourists

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Northern Ireland is poxy for nightlife. Belfast has its spots, but with likely tensions in areas there for the foreseeable future, I'd be going anywhere else.

Desperate nightlife up there. Pig thick bouncers grabbing your pint glass out of your hand the very minute closing time is reached. Soulless pubs. Suspicious locals. No chance of a lock-in.

To be honest even some hellhole like Portlaoise or Tipperary town would be a better choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,468 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Misread the title as "best town for slags"! Freudian slip?

Derry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

Ah here, despite the moaning of people on here about how dour us nordies are we're a fairly welcoming bunch.

I've met up with many travelling mates when I'm home in Derry and they all remark how open and chatty people are if you're just sitting by yourself in the pub.

If you're going around Halloween, go to Derry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

sambowden wrote: »
    Hey,
    Organising stag for late in the year, probably going to head up North as it has a better chance of pubs being open then. If its all closed down then so be it, we will cancel, but if they are open I'm trying to figure our best options.

Ideally somewhere with good pub per square mileage in one central location. Thinking of a medium sized places, along the lines of Carrick or Kilkenny, where everything's pretty central.

Am thinking the likes of Enniskillen, Omagh, Derry, Newry but have no clue the quality of nightlife in any of them!

Anyone have any suggestions, even random spots that I probably wouldn't have even thought of!!

In normal times Derry has a good nightlife. If it's pub crawling then Waterloo Street all the way across Castle Gate to Bennigans on John St will cover plenty of good bars, live music is pretty common too.

Haven't been clubbing in Derry in a long time but the Nerve Centre and upstairs in Masons were great spots and Sugar or whatever it's called these days is your run of the mill big nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sambowden

i assume there are late bars up there like down south, open until like 2am!?? Wouldnt be any of us too interested in night clubs I dont think.

Sounds like Derry might be best bet. Suits us as we are coming mainly from the west so handier than the other side.

Think at this stage Im just in a 'beggars cant be choosers' kind of mindset and as you can imagine Im just hedging my bets a bit by going up north - more chance of pubs being fully open and as we have to book some accommodation soon enough Im not left with much options...

Our alternative was to rent out a big gaff somewhere and thats still an option but just thinking lads might be a bit sick of drinking in houses at that stage as we have a summer of that ahead of us.

• Advertisement

i assume there are late bars up there like down south, open until like 2am!?? Wouldnt be any of us too interested in night clubs I dont think.

Check “closing times” well in advance. Also, be wary of the nationalists just as much as the unionists. Nothing worse than having some screeching nordie in your ear ranting about how the people of “free state” abandoned them.

And, please, steer clear of Portadown. It’s nothing but a hive of spite and malice.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

bubblypop wrote: »
    If you're going around Halloween, go to Derry

But make sure you're wearing fancy dress otherwise you'll stand out like a sore thumb.

Cushendall

been reading pubs must close no later than 1am in Derry, is that still the case!? Any talk of it changing once they reopen this summer?

That would be a bit of a deal breaker alright I'd say, 1am is very early!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Larne, Ballymena and Portadown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Nice pubs in, Strabane, Clady, Crossmaglen, Cappagh, Silverbridge, Carrickmore, Coleraine, Keady, Bessbrook, Belleeks, Camlough, Newtownhamilton & Charlemont.

Most of the small villages like Belleeks & Cappagh only have the 1 pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Ah yeah those 2 million northerner's are unfriendly.

Unlike Dublin were nobody will try to rob you or sell you pills &/or heroin the second you get of the train.

cheers, will check them out, ya I'd say there would need to be at least 5 or 6 pubs, also a also a decent sized hotel to fit all 15/20 of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Nice pubs in, Strabane, Clady, Crossmaglen, Cappagh, Silverbridge, Carrickmore, Coleraine, Keady, Bessbrook, Belleeks, Camlough, Newtownhamilton & Charlemont.

Most of the small villages like Belleeks & Cappagh only have the 1 pub

I'd say it would be a first for the likes of Silverbridge, Beleeks or Newtownhamilton to host a stag party.

Everything closes early in Northern Ireland and I think the main nightclub in Derry (which also closes early) shut down a few years back.

Dunno why Belleek is mentioned. It has 2 pubs, the hotel can’t be relied upon to be open and the locals always bussed it to Bundoran anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Everything closes early in Northern Ireland and I think the main nightclub in Derry (which also closes early) shut down a few years back.

Dunno why Belleek is mentioned. It has 2 pubs, the hotel can’t be relied upon to be open and the locals always bussed it to Bundoran anyway.

Beleeks, Co Armagh.

Beleeks, Co Armagh.

Oh. Carry on then I don’t know that place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Northern Ireland has a handful of excellent golf courses and a pleasant coastal drive. There's very little else to recommend about it. Belfast is a dour and grey little city, and you can almost smell the bitterness and resentment off the place. Everything closes early as well, and we found ourselves back at the bar at the Fitzwilliam at 12.30 to get a night cap. Certainly wouldn't recommend it for a stag.

What I've always found surprising about people from Northern Ireland is they consider themselves really friendly. Preposterous. The much-vaunted Ulster Fry tends to be little more than a plate of grease and cheap pieces of highly-processed pig meat.

Dreadful part of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Larne, Ballymena and Portadown.

Especially in July.

Going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons here but I went to a great stags in Monaghan years ago.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Going to throw the cat amongst the pigeons here but I went to a great stags in Monaghan years ago.

Monaghan is in the republic.

Monaghan is in the republic.

I know. Hence the reason I said I'll throw the cat amongst the pigeons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭wally79

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I know. Hence the reason I said I'll throw the cat amongst the pigeons.

OP is worried restrictions in republic will still be in place hence looking at NI

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Desperate nightlife up there. Pig thick bouncers grabbing your pint glass out of your hand the very minute closing time is reached. Soulless pubs. Suspicious locals. No chance of a lock-in.

To be honest even some hellhole like Portlaoise or Tipperary town would be a better choice.
    Northern Ireland has a handful of excellent golf courses and a pleasant coastal drive. There's very little else to recommend about it. Belfast is a dour and grey little city, and you can almost smell the bitterness and resentment off the place. Everything closes early as well, and we found ourselves back at the bar at the Fitzwilliam at 12.30 to get a night cap. Certainly wouldn't recommend it for a stag.

What I've always found surprising about people from Northern Ireland is they consider themselves really friendly. Preposterous. The much-vaunted Ulster Fry tends to be little more than a plate of grease and cheap pieces of highly-processed pig meat.

Dreadful part of the world.

Always amusing reading the thoughts of those who have clearly never set foot north of the border.

OP, northerners are of course friendly, as friendly as anywhere else. We do have a very low tolerance for pompous, pretentious visitors who visit with a misplaced sense of superiority. I suppose like anywhere else really. OP, if you fall into this category you might think northerners are unfriendly.

Personally, I'd recommend Belfast. Good for pub crawls are there are lots of good pubs in a short walking distance. IMO it's better than Dublin in some respects.

Unfortunately, the 1am closing time is pretty much universal and it's enforced pretty rigidly. This is the major downfall.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Always amusing reading the thoughts of those who have clearly never set foot north of the border.

OP, northerners are of course friendly, as friendly as anywhere else. We do have a very low tolerance for pompous, pretentious visitors who visit with a misplaced sense of superiority. I suppose like anywhere else really. OP, if you fall into this category you might think northerners are unfriendly.

Personally, I'd recommend Belfast. Good for pub crawls are there are lots of good pubs in a short walking distance. IMO it's better than Dublin in some respects.

Unfortunately, the 1am closing time is pretty much universal and it's enforced pretty rigidly. This is the major downfall.

No one from the south is going to be booking Belfast after what has gone on there this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

A couple of great pubs in Castlederg, I had great craic there!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭chosen1

I've been to a stag in Omagh before and had a great night.

We were staying at an outdoor adventure centre closer to Ballygally but went to Omagh for the night out. There's a complex in the town that has a number of good bars all and the street they are on is roofed off and gated in.

Know plenty on here have said you won't be welcome but I've rarely experienced this up north. I'd say alot depends on your attitude to begin with and I've been made welcome from both sides up there.

As a number of people have said, closing time is much earlier than down south so be prepared and be stocked up wherever you are staying for when you get back.

chosen1 wrote: »
    I've been to a stag in Omagh before and had a great night.

We were staying at an outdoor adventure centre closer to Ballygally but went to Omagh for the night out. There's a complex in the town that has a number of good bars all and the street they are on is roofed off and gated in.

Know plenty on here have said you won't be welcome but I've rarely experienced this up north. I'd say alot depends on your attitude to begin with and I've been made welcome from both sides up there.

As a number of people have said, closing time is much earlier than down south so be prepared and be stocked up wherever you are staying for when you get back.

Deadly, that sounds really good. I will add it to the list and check out accommodation. Cheers.

From checking out hotels for our dates it looks like I can shortlist it to Derry, Omagh, Enniskillen, Portstewart, Portrush & Armagh. Any of those stand out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

pgj2015 wrote: »
    No one from the south is going to be booking Belfast after what has gone on there this week.
    Fighting at a "peace wall", it wouldn't put me off tbh.
    Its one small and notoriously fiery area, its not as if the entire place is on fire lol.
    I have Belfast booked for June.

• Advertisement

From checking out hotels for our dates it looks like I can shortlist it to Derry, Omagh, Enniskillen, Portstewart, Portrush & Armagh. Any of those stand out?
    Derry by a mile imo.
    Decent pubs, people are friendly, small and easy to get around.
    Are you driving?
    If not will take two trains from dublin to get there.

gmisk wrote: »
    Fighting at a "peace wall", it wouldn't put me off tbh.
    Its one small and notoriously fiery area, its not as if the entire place is on fire lol.
    I have Belfast booked for June.

I usually prefer travelling on busses without the fear a petrol bomb might be thrown into it.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Enniskillen is a small town. 6 pubs worth talking about. I would skip it. Most pubs would not really want a stag. You might get refused at the door.

Cushendall
    Er really?!
    Outside of Johnny Joe's I wouldn't have thought the pubs are great?

I am shocked it got a mention....I am from there.... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Northern Ireland is poxy for nightlife. Belfast has its spots, but with likely tensions in areas there for the foreseeable future, I'd be going anywhere else.

Why do people act like its Syria or Baghdad? The rioting usually takes place in ****hole estates in the outskirts of towns that tourists never venture into.

What Boards has taught me is how many people in south have such an inaccurate and ignorant views on the North.

People criticise the English for being ignorant over Ireland some people in ROI equally have dumb and frankly idiotic views about NI.

• Advertisement

I usually prefer travelling on busses without the fear a petrol bomb might be thrown into it.:)
    You do know there was no one on the bus right....

All you free staters are so soft....lol

gmisk wrote: »
    You do know there was no one on the bus right....

All you free staters are so soft....lol

I thought the bus driver was still on it?

still though, you would never have something like that happen in the south. even in the roughest parts of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

I thought the bus driver was still on it?

still though, you would never have something like that happen in the south. even in the roughest parts of Dublin.

Really? No shootings happen in Dublin? No gangland activity in Drogheda?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I must have dreamt that burnt down LIDL in Tallaght then.

Anaki r2d2 wrote: »

no one ever threw a petrol bomb onto a bus in the south.

I must have dreamt that burnt down LIDL in Tallaght then.

burnt down? that was a digger that did the damage not a result of petrol bombs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

burnt down? that was a digger that did the damage not a result of petrol bombs.

Ok, so when you said "something like that" what you actually meant was "exactly like this very specific thing I now want to pretend that I originally meant".

Ok, so when you said "something like that" what you actually meant was "exactly like this very specific thing I now want to pretend that I originally meant".

no one was in danger when they tore down the lidl, there wasnt any customers inside. But to me it is dangerous when people are fire bombing busses that are working.

Anaki r2d2 wrote: »
    Also buses in dublin are attacked....it's why they have to curtail some routes like cherry orchard pretty frequently....lol

no one was in danger when they tore down the lidl, there wasnt any customers inside. But to me it is dangerous when people are fire bombing busses that are working.
    The bus was hijacked it's in the reports.
    It was a horrible incident but it isn't a regular thing in northern ireland despite the reports.

• Advertisement
Advertisement