Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacist salary?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 MarkTR

In my opinion, a payment of around 90,000 is not a reason for dissatisfaction, so why you are unhappy? You have flexibility and money from work only 1-2 days a week, which is so terrible in this profession that you are still not satisfied?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

MarkTR wrote: »
    In my opinion, a payment of around 90,000 is not a reason for dissatisfaction, so why you are unhappy? You have flexibility and money from work only 1-2 days a week, which is so terrible in this profession that you are still not satisfied?

Mostly because money is needed for bills etc but isn’t enough to be satisfying in a job. It’s not a reason to choose a career. On a daily basis in work I have very little mental stimulation - the vast majority of the time what I do could be done by the pharmacy technician and it’s maybe 5-10% of the time that I actually use any of my degree or need to make a clinical decision. This isn’t derisory to pharmacy techs at all, they’re brilliant, I just don’t find it a challenge so I wouldn’t recommend it to someone as a really fulfilling role. It’s also really difficult to explain to what extent working with the HSE is painful. The amount of rules and regulation and paperwork is just mind-blowing for pharmacists who come from other jurisdictions to work here. Again I’m not moaning really, I’m very good at my job, have been doing it a long time but it’s tedious having to jump through ridiculous hoops to ensure you get paid by HSE for items dispensed and then being the person in front of the patient when they get pissed off at the arbitrary rules which you’ve no control over

I started reading this thread this morning and have found it very interesting. Glad mods have allowed it remain open. I'm most curious about the early posters and those that were considering pharmacy as a career, and even our 17 year old friend. Did he grow up? :)

Salaries seem to have recovered somewhat, but from what I gather from a relatively good start they can be fairly limited over a career (still generally good re average wage in case I offend).

My own involvement is fairly limited I once worked in a hospital where I championed the introduction of a biosimilar drug. But, that was for commercial reasons (it did of course get sanctioned by the senior pharmacist and buy in from the consultants).

I started reading this thread this morning and have found it very interesting. Glad mods have allowed it remain open. I'm most curious about the early posters and those that were considering pharmacy as a career, and even our 17 year old friend. Did he grow up? :)

Salaries seem to have recovered somewhat, but from what I gather from a relatively good start they can be fairly limited over a career (still generally good re average wage in case I offend).

My own involvement is fairly limited I once worked in a hospital where I championed the introduction of a biosimilar drug. But, that was for commercial reasons (it did of course get sanctioned by the senior pharmacist and buy in from the consultants).

I've a goal of getting over 100k in base salary. Have reached it a couple.of years but that was doing locums/overtime in hospital.

I have it in my head that I don't particularly earn a lot of money but I guess I do in relaity.

^^^ did you ever go to the States or Oz?

• Advertisement

I've a goal of getting over 100k in base salary. Have reached it a couple.of years but that was doing locums/overtime in hospital.

I have it in my head that I don't particularly earn a lot of money but I guess I do in relaity.

It's kind of funny to me, but 100k is not a lot of money? You have more than two average salary in Ireland. How many people earn as much money as you do? You are at the top of the earnings scale probably.

It's kind of funny to me, but 100k is not a lot of money? You have more than two average salary in Ireland. How many people earn as much money as you do? You are at the top of the earnings scale probably.

Not a lot of money compared to who? You, on average? Don't be silly.

Not a lot of money compared to who? You, on average? Don't be silly.

I said that 100k is a lot of money.

I said that 100k is a lot of money.

Missed the ? My bad.

How many hours per week does a pharmacist work in Ireland? When i see a job offer with "full time" - that means it's 40 or 45 hours?

• Advertisement

How many hours per week does a pharmacist work in Ireland? When i see a job offer with "full time" - that means it's 40 or 45 hours?

Mostly 45 hours - lots of pharmacies open 9-6 without a lunch

Possibly they give an hours lunch break but that would be very unusual. More likely is that the ad isn’t accurate... until you actually spoke to the agency I wouldn’t put much heed on their ads, they often place ads just to get pharmacists on their books or the details for a job can be materially different when you apply

Just had a quick look online at some locum shifts being offered and 80% of them at least are 9am-6pm, no break, with most of the others being longer

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

This is the kind of salary I'd expect for a Managing pharmacist in a 250+ item dispensary with a strong retail business attached.

I'd be wary of an independent offering that salary for those hours. 8 hour pharmacy shifts are unheard-of tbh.

I have a strong suspicion this is a pharmacy near Christ Church, I wouldn't work in it for double the salary.

FYI I'm slightly over that advertised salary and work four 11 hour days with no set lunch.

If I had to work 45 hours for the advertised salary, it does not seem so attractive anymore.

If I had to work 45 hours for the advertised salary, it does not seem so attractive anymore.

Honestly don’t choose a career based on the salary, find something that interests you

Honestly don’t choose a career based on the salary, find something that interests you

I am currently 23 years old and a 4th year student. I think I could do this job if they paid me well. After graduation, I would like to buy my apartment in Thailand for around 100k euro. I would like to work in Ireland and live in Thailand with the money earned.

That's why I'm interested in how much I can earn because I would like to fulfill my dreams quickly. :D

If the pharmacy makes it possible for me, I'll be very happy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Try working 45 hours a week, with maybe 10 mins a day to eat, while trying not to kill anyone with a medication error, dealing with the sick public and listening to a gobshíte territory manager asking you why the tan sales are down 10%. For a supervising position you're the responsible pharmacist, even when you're not there...

There are easier ways to earn a living than being a pharmacist tbh. That being said I really enjoy it and I wouldn't change my career.

But I can't choose a different career anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

For the sake of everyone's interest, the current rough salaries in Ireland are below:
    Straight out of college: around 50k
    Support role (less than three years) around 60k
    Supervising role (more than three years exp) around 75k
    A difficult supervisong role: around 90-110k
    Superintendent role of a small chain: 140k +

These are for retail pharmacy. If you are working in industry, the pay is much less and you are treated as someone with any relevant science degree. Pay starts around 30k and will increase gradually over the years. A Pharmacist can go on to a QP role however, which usually takes in 80-120k. There is a lot of responsibility with this though.

Lastly, a pharmacist in a hse hospital will be on a hse pay scale. It's awful pay in comparison but has a lot of job perks associated with it such as maternity etc. Starting pay right out of college is 32k and there is a hse pay scale that goes up a few k each each year. After three years, you are considered a senior Pharmacist and the pay jumps to around 65k. You can apply for a chief role which can be anything from 100k onward depending on the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Snipp wrote: »
    For the sake of everyone's interest, the current rough salaries in Ireland are below:

These are for retail pharmacy. If you are working in industry, the pay is much less and you are treated as someone with any relevant science degree. Pay starts around 30k and will increase gradually over the years. A Pharmacist can go on to a QP role however, which usually takes in 80-120k. There is a lot of responsibility with this though.

Lastly, a pharmacist in a hse hospital will be on a hse pay scale. It's awful pay in comparison but has a lot of job perks associated with it such as maternity etc. Starting pay right out of college is 32k and there is a hse pay scale that goes up a few k each each year. After three years, you are considered a senior Pharmacist and the pay jumps to around 65k. You can apply for a chief role which can be anything from 100k onward depending on the role.

And of course a permanent job, and a defined benefit pension that is index linked and in line with your salary and which you pay almost nothing into and get for the rest of your life after you retire. Priceless.

Does the OP know that ‘foreigners’ are not allowed buy or own property in Thailand - it has to be in a ‘natives’ name - lots of people stung by scams around this - been a few UK documentaries on the subject.

And of course a permanent job, and a defined benefit pension that is index linked and in line with your salary and which you pay almost nothing into and get for the rest of your life after you retire. Priceless.

Does the OP know that ‘foreigners’ are not allowed buy or own property in Thailand - it has to be in a ‘natives’ name - lots of people stung by scams around this - been a few UK documentaries on the subject.

You can buy a condo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Xander10

Do HSE hospitals employ pharmacist technicians?

Try working 45 hours a week, with maybe 10 mins a day to eat, while trying not to kill anyone with a medication error, dealing with the sick public and listening to a gobshíte territory manager asking you why the tan sales are down 10%. For a supervising position you're the responsible pharmacist, even when you're not there...

There are easier ways to earn a living than being a pharmacist tbh. That being said I really enjoy it and I wouldn't change my career.
    God. I loathe and love the public in equal measures.

I will say that at my stage, my job has very little to do if anything with what I learnt in college. It's all meetings, stress and endless e-mails. I'm envious of the potential career pathway I left behind in the NHS but the money was just too good to refuse in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

Xander10 wrote: »
    So HSE hospitals employ pharmacist technicians?

Yes, they employ both pharmacists and technicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

But I can't choose a different career anymore.

You will likely have several careers.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭Xander10

Yes, they employ both pharmacists and technicians.

Thanks. Should have stated Do not So.

Public jobs website probably where to look out? Do you know if they advertise annually?

Xander10 wrote: »
    Thanks. Should have stated Do not So.

Public jobs website probably where to look out? Do you know if they advertise annually?

HSE Jobs site is where to look - they advertise as positions arise

• Advertisement
Advertisement