Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have never managed to buy into Cumberbatch's American accents; they're always too croaky, projected... something. Always feels like the kind of generic accent I'd do if I had to play a yank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

pixelburp wrote: »
    I have never managed to buy into Cumberbatch's American accents; they're always too croaky, projected... something. Always feels like the kind of generic accent I'd do if I had to play a yank.

100% agreed. He was like that in BLACK Mass as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hadn't realised this was going straight to amazon, supposed to be out later this week

Tomorrow, few other award nominated stuff coming in April...Palm Springs on the 9th and finally Sound of Metal confirmed for the 12th seemingly.

Believe Wonder Woman leaving the platform soon to be replaced by Shazam for the comic book movie enthusiasts.

Michael B Jordan led movie based on a Tom Clancy novel at the very end of the month. A horror series called Them and Aidan Turner playing Leonardo Da Vinci in a series based on the famous artist also due to land in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Shazam is probably my favourite of the recent superhero movies. A great mix of Superman and Big.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

... few other award nominated stuff coming in April...Palm Springs on the 9th.
    Knew this and was counting down the days.
    ... and finally Sound of Metal confirmed for the 12th seemingly.
    Did not know this, great news. Assumed it was going to arrive at some stage but nice to see a confirmed date.

• Advertisement

And The Dissident just arrived today. I thought all the major streaming platforms were keeping their distance from this documentary but delighted to see it's now on Prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

S.M.B. wrote: »
    And The Dissident just arrived today. I thought all the major streaming platforms were keeping their distance from this documentary but delighted to see it's now on Prime.

Given that Bezos owns the Washington Post it's hardly surprising it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I watched the first episode of Animal Kingdom the other night and it was brutal. Terrible acting

• Registered Users Posts: 19,990 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I watched the first episode of Animal Kingdom the other night and it was brutal. Terrible acting

ya I thought that too. it grows on you thou. easy watching !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

The Gentlemen (2020/2019, depending on your information source!) stars Matthew McConaughey, Hugh Grant and Charlie Hunnam. Colin Farrell makes an appearance, as does Michelle Dockery & Henry Golding.

Really mixed feelings about this one. Caveat is that the only Ritchie films I've seen prior to this is his Aladdin remake (!) and The Man from UNCLE.

The film follows a US-born drug barron looking to sell his canabis empire. Enter in a disgruntled newspaper editor trying to do an expose hit on him, and the film whisks us away.

On one hand, it was an entertaining film with like comic relief peppered throughout. Farrell in particular, in keeping his Irish accent, has a couple of funny scenes.

On the other, it was overboard on the vulgarity (swearing) to an unnecessary extent. There was a scene which involved two doses of graphic projectile vomit. Gross! This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I cannot stand films / TVs that have unnecessary, gross vomitting scenes. Totally turns me off a film and makes me queasy.

The story wasn't rewarding. There was no major theme, no one to root for (imo). There were some elements of suspense, but they didn't really add up to make up for the lack of decent story.

Throughout the movie, all I could think about was: Hunnam was cast in a role written for Tom Hardy, they couldn't get Hardy so Hunnam did his best Hardy impression instead of playing the character. When I first watched the trailer, I was convinced it was Hardy and not until the opening credits (when his name didn't come up) did I realize.

Overall, a bare 5/10 for me, with an entire -1 for the OTT vomit & vulgarity. Maybe if you are a Ritchie fan, you'll enjoy this. But I've never seen his quintessential films, so I'm not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I was watching Black Sails and just noticed its been removed.Does anyone know if its moved to another streaming service?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I watched the Mauritanian last night. I thought it was pretty good, Jodie Foster is always good but it does have the feel of a story that has been well told at this stage.
    I thought some of the torture scenes weren't great, trying to show the disorienting nature of the experience I guess but didn't really work for me.

Overall a good movie though. Jodie Foster is very good in it. Great to get a lot of the new releases on streaming services over here.

4/5

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

adrian522 wrote: »
    I watched the Mauritanian last night. I thought it was pretty good, Jodie Foster is always good but it does have the feel of a story that has been well told at this stage.
    I thought some of the torture scenes weren't great, trying to show the disorienting nature of the experience I guess but didn't really work for me.

Overall a good movie though. Jodie Foster is very good in it. Great to get a lot of the new releases on streaming services over here.

4/5

I watched this tonight and thought it was very good.
    Cumberbatch done a decent job with the American accent imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Selection of new titles/re-adds in the last week or so

A Star Is Born (J.Gaynor/F.March)
    The Best Man
    The Body
    Bobby Robson: More Than a Manager
    Brick Mansions
    The Brood (O.Reed)
    Charlie Says
    Click (Sandler/Beckinsale)
    The Count of Monte Cristo
    Danger Lights
    The Dissident (Amazon Exclusive)(2020) - BAFTA nominated documentary
    Dunkirk
    Elvira, Mistress of the Dark
    Elysium (M.Damon/J.Foster)
    Escape Plan: The Extractors
    Goosebumps
    The House of Tomorrow
    In Search of a Midnight Kiss
    Jawbone
    The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part
    Life As We Know It
    The Mauritanian (J.Foster/Cumberbatch)(Amazon Original)(2021)
    Miracle in Milan (Original Title: Miracolo a Milano)
    No Other Love (R.Thomas/Kavner)
    Puss in Boots
    Red Riding Hood (Seyfried/Oldman)
    Rules Don't Apply (L.Collins/Beatty)
    Rust Creek
    Sausage Party
    Seventh Son (J.Bridges/J.Moore)
    Shaft (2000)
    Shotgun Stories (M.Shannon)
    Tammy
    Transformers: Dark of the Moon
    The Truman Show
    Walking Tall
    Wrong Turn
    xXx
    xXx: State of the Union

The Silence (Bonneville/Kirwan)

Expiring soon(That I'm aware of)

A Star Is Born (Gaga/B.Cooper) - 10/4
    Sense and Sensibility - 16/4
    State of Play - 17/4

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Does anyone know when Episode 10/Season 5 of This Is Us will be on Prime. It was supposed to be there about 18th March and no sign of it yet though I know it has aired in US. I've googled but can't find anything about it here in Ireland or UK.

Edit: It's ok, I checked with Amazon, there is a known error for this series and those episodes which they are working to fix at the moment. They should be on air soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Anyone here who had the UK location set for the football and has now been reverted back to the Irish version, did yous have to change anything in the settings after ? Mine stopped and came up saying I was using a VPN, I've turned that off but pretty much everything now comes up not available in your location?

Barely a handful of things I can watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,870 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Another excellent episode of invincible this week.
    Its a huge amount of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    Anyone here who had the UK location set for the football and has now been reverted back to the Irish version, did yous have to change anything in the settings after ? Mine stopped and came up saying I was using a VPN, I've turned that off but pretty much everything now comes up not available in your location?

I think amazon need to change your account back, easiest thing to do is just contact them on chat

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Xaniaj

gmisk wrote: »
    Another excellent episode of invincible this week.
    Its a huge amount of fun.

It really is, one of the best things I've seen this year!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,152 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

0ph0rce0 wrote: »

When I signed in on a Web browser it asked me to pick my location again, I was able to pick Ireland there and it's been fine since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Went for The Mauritanian (2021) last night, aka The Unpronounceable :pac:.

Zero Dark Thirty meets Dark Waters.

Curiously, Cumberbatch (who co-owns one of the production companies involved), arrived on set for filming in late-2019 horrendously ill (being sick between takes), and on reflection worried he had COVID in its early stages. The same interview also shares that Cumberbatch has been working on this project for years as the producer. Rahim also underwent torture to see how it really felt like for his role. Minor spoilers in the linked interview.
    I thought it was a very strong film overall. Tight story, script. Some interesting camera choices / cuts which were a little off-putting. Foster & Rahim were excellent, Cumberbatch was ok (dodgy accent) and Woodley is forgettable.

Given Cumberbatch's production involvement, and at the behest of the director he hired, one can see how he got the role. One would have preferred someone else in that role, imo, with a stronger accent repertoire. That said, the man he plays, Lt. Col. V. Stuart Couch, has quite the arc. One would have appreciated greater insight into his life & background, but, as he is a living person it seems right to refrain.

The film is well paced, but I would suggest it is maybe 20 mins that-bit-too-long.

Torture is featured. But, it is shown in a much more horrific light than Zero Dark Thirty. Some other reviews take a dislike to the "highly stylized" nature of the sequence.

The legal wranglings could have featured more. On reading up afterward, there were significant Supreme Court cases taken that I would have valued being mentioned at the least.

The Wiki-page is not well developed, but I was reading some other articles about Mohamedou Ould Slahi and it seems to stay very close to the truth. Indeed, there's as of yet no articles lambasting the production. Equally, there's no comments as to how close the real people were to it.

For me, it's a 7.5/10. I think the length draws it back, as does Cumberbatch & Woodley's respective performances.

Palm Springs is locked in for tonight's viewing. Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

The Coming War On China is a great watch. Unbelievable what the USA military is upto.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Anyone watch "Them" yet? Wondering if it's worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Anyone watch "Them" yet? Wondering if it's worth a watch

Watched the first episode last night. Great atmosphere in it. Really looking forward to getting stuck into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

The terror season 1
    Excellent show

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

palm springs is great. Watch it
    Spin on ground day with the guy from Brooklyn nine nine.
    Very good cast... low budget ... funny

• Registered Users Posts: 31,870 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Sound of metal (multiple oscar noms) due to be added tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Dying to see this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Wow that looks absolute garbage.

Advertisement