Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Woman in the Window

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,265 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks good and a very strong cast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Shutter Island? I guess a little with the "is she crazy?" element, but I'd have said the stronger influence has to be Rear Window: the main character trapped in their apartment, witnessing a crime in the building across the street, hijinks ensuing. The telescopic camera at the window couldn't be a bigger nod if it tried :D

Looks good though, even if that trailer basically gave away every plot beat up to (presumably) the last act :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Really interesting article in the New Yorker about the author of the book. I reckon it would be a better film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

From Joe Wright, starring Amy Adams; based on a novel apparently, but the "Rear Window" vibes are coming off strong with this one. Comes out May 14:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Novel is by A.J. Finn, have read it a few months ago.
    On point during a lockdown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Novel written by a wild fabulist:

New Yorker - AJ Finn

QikBax wrote: »

New Yorker - AJ Finn

I was going to link that article better than the book in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,801 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I was going to link that article better than the book in my view.
    Way better than the book.
    It was derivative crap imo.

gmisk wrote: »
    Way better than the book.
    It was derivative crap imo.

I’d love to see that made into a film! As you said the book was very derivative but the story around the book is like fiction influencing real life, which in turned influenced fiction and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

QikBax wrote: »

New Yorker - AJ Finn

I read every single it of that, unbelievable. I've watched an interview with DM since and I'm inclined to think its all true.

• Advertisement

This drops on Netflix this Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Really interesting article in the New Yorker about the author of the book. I reckon it would be a better film.
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/02/11/a-suspense-novelists-trail-of-deceptions

• Registered Users Posts: 84,740 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

pixelburp wrote: »
    Shutter Island? I guess a little with the "is she crazy?" element, but I'd have said the stronger influence has to be Rear Window: the main character trapped in their apartment, witnessing a crime in the building across the street, hijinks ensuing. The telescopic camera at the window couldn't be a bigger nod if it tried :D

Looks good though, even if that trailer basically gave away every plot beat up to (presumably) the last act :rolleyes:

Yes Rear Window is what I thought from the trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Heard press had pretty much no luck acquiring screeners ahead of this release, rarely are they sitting on a masterpiece when that tactic is deployed. Shame as I really like Adams.

Well that was pretty sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭sporina

Heard this being reviewed on NT earlier by Esther McCarthy.. man.. not good to say the least..

Anyone read the book?

I'd be mindful of watching it if loved the book.. :eek:

Terrible do not waste two hours of your life watching this I did it for you and will never get them back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

What a waste of a brilliant cast. Awful stuff. Gary Oldman, Julianne Moore and Jennifer Jason Leigh, in particular, got hardly any screen time. I think JJL said maybe 4 or 5 lines throughout the entire film.

How did Joe Wright and Tracy Letts manage to get this so spectacularly wrong? :confused:

What a waste of a brilliant cast. Awful stuff. Gary Oldman, Julianne Moore and Jennifer Jason Leigh, in particular, got hardly any screen time. I think JJL said maybe 4 or 5 lines throughout the entire film.

How did Joe Wright and Tracy Letts manage to get this so spectacularly wrong? :confused:

yes indeed - and whats more, Joe wright has directed some great movies adapted from books like Atonement and Anna Karenina.. what went wrong? is the book good but just doesn't adapt well? or is the book **** to start with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

sporina wrote: »
    yes indeed - and whats more, Joe wright has directed some great movies adapted from books like Atonement and Anna Karenina.. what went wrong? is the book good but just doesn't adapt well? or is the book **** to start with?

I haven't read the book, but it was recommended to me by a book club - I got the impression it was a riff on 'The Girl on the Train'. I actually quite enjoyed that adaptation, mainly because Emily Blunt did such a good job with it.

Like you say, Atonement and Anna Karenina were so very well done, so it's baffling that the same director could have misfired this badly. Apparantly, the test screenings were so bad, they had to bring in Tony Gilroy to do rewrites before a major round of re-shoots which should have been a clue. Seems even pulitzer prize-winning playwrights don't always get it right!

This film quite openly references 'Rear Window' throughout. My tip? Skip this tripe and just go and re-watch that masterpiece instead.

I haven't read the book, but it was recommended to me by a book club - I got the impression it was a riff on 'The Girl on the Train'. I actually quite enjoyed that adaptation, mainly because Emily Blunt did such a good job with it.

Like you say, Atonement and Anna Karenina were so very well done, so it's baffling that the same director could have misfired this badly. Apparantly, the test screenings were so bad, they had to bring in Tony Gilroy to do rewrites before a major round of re-shoots which should have been a clue. Seems even pulitzer prize-winning playwrights don't always get it right!

This film quite openly references 'Rear Window' throughout. My tip? Skip this tripe and just go and re-watch that masterpiece instead.

pickings must b v sim in hollywood..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

No bad. Expected a lot worse given the bad reviews. There's a serious amount of talent involved so, yes on paper it should've been way better but if you go in with low expectations you might enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭cosatron

the book was only ok and the film stayed true to it. My wife told me to read it before the film came out and i was left underwhelmed by it, same as the film really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Against my better judgement I had a gander last night,pretty much a recovering from a hangover decision.

It's probably the blandest thing I've watched all year. It's not an excruciating watch by any means just all feels like a waste of time in the end largely due to the way they have the story unfold.

By the time supposed big reveals come along I was accepting them like nothing so a massive failure by the screenwriters.

The film has naturally been getting bad reviews but haven't really seen Adams get much stick,as said before I'm a big fan but not only can she not even save the film which I've seen reviewers alude to I have to say its a very underwhelming performance by her standards comparable maybe to her Lois Lane but you'd put that down to the way a lot of those comic book movies slot in those characters but she's not leading the picture there like she is here, disappointing from her.

The Rear Window comparison is understandable given one key event but the formula is different. I never got the sense she was actually obsessed with across the way in the way a lot of the soul of Rear Window does it or even the copy and paste remake Disturbia. Haven't read the book either but are you meant to be convinced that she is or was this just another failure of the adaptation?

This film has gotten terrible reviews. I read some whilst dithering over whether to watch or not yesterday. Worst thing ever, I was reliably told.

Watched it anyhow out of stubborness as Amy Adams has emerged as one of my favourite actors in recent years.

I don't know why it was so badly panned. It has lame parts for sure, it has some subpar acting and the very end looks like it was tacked on like a piece of cheap lace frill on an otherwise perfectly serviceable sombre frock.

But overall it was quite good in many respects. Adams is excellent, my admiration continues. The whole thing has an arty flair. It may have derivative elements, but so what. The atmosphere was suitably foreboding. The twists were suitably twisty. The whole thing was not bad at all.

So, bite me! :)

• Administrators Posts: 53,275 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Watched this at the weekend.

Bland, boring, uninteresting. I've read reviews talking about "twists", I didn't feel there were any twists.

Agree with the earlier poster who says many of the actors barely appear. Trying to remember Gary Oldman appearances in it and struggling to remember more than 4 or 5 scenes.

awec wrote: »
    Watched this at the weekend.

Bland, boring, uninteresting. I've read reviews talking about "twists", I didn't feel there were any twists.

Agree with the earlier poster who says many of the actors barely appear. Trying to remember Gary Oldman appearances in it and struggling to remember more than 4 or 5 scenes.

But that is the way it is with an ensemble cast - most get a small part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Absolute muck. I've never seen Gary Oldman or Julianne Moore (was she meant to be playing someone in their 30s/40s?) worse in anything. Mad that in 2021 the third act reveal is
    people with clear mental health issues and who deserve sympathy are dangerous and will try to kill you. Gary should've been slapping him harder!

• Advertisement

That’s a pity. I’m a fan of Adams so I hoped it was good. Or even ok.

Netflix has really been poor this year.

Advertisement