Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 330e

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

That does not sound right with regards to range - this morning my car is showing 42km @ 100%.

I’m using the My BMW app. It might be worth talking to the dealer to see if there is an issue with the charging settings. How are you charging it ?

With regards to ‘petrol kicking in’ ... it all depends on how you drive for most of the time. In standard Hybrid mode I have driven at 80kmh using EV and I think over 90mph in Electric mode - never really tested it. But is how you drive will dictate that more so - accelerate harshly and it will use petrol. I can go a week or two with out using a drop of fuel.

Sport / Xtraboost will use the petrol motor as primary

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bilasy

whippet wrote: »
    That does not sound right with regards to range - this morning my car is showing 42km @ 100%.

I’m using the My BMW app. It might be worth talking to the dealer to see if there is an issue with the charging settings. How are you charging it ?

With regards to ‘petrol kicking in’ ... it all depends on how you drive for most of the time. In standard Hybrid mode I have driven at 80kmh using EV and I think over 90mph in Electric mode - never really tested it. But is how you drive will dictate that more so - accelerate harshly and it will use petrol. I can go a week or two with out using a drop of fuel.

Sport / Xtraboost will use the petrol motor as primary

I charge using dedicated home charger, I think using the 12 mA ( as per instructions) yesterday after charging it showed 50 Km range , today morning once I started the car it came down to 42Km range
    I drove on the M50 25 Km back and forth ( total 50 Km) on hybrid ecopro mode returned home with 1 Km to spare.

With regard to speed , I’m confident that up to 100km still electric, Also didn’t use fuel yet and that’s day 5 using the car, however worth mentioning the fuel tank( as per my BMW app) was 75% range 335Km now became 72% range 342 Km ( not combined)
    I’m wondering if the extra km were gained by using Hybrid Eco pro
    Will give the technician a call , btw in good weather day what’s the max range you got on 100% charge?

That’s sounds normal enough what you have quoted now ... the Max I’ve seen displayed is 49km on 100% charge ... but remember the range will change based on the type of driving, speed, braking etc .. so don’t get too hung up on it.

That’s sounds normal enough what you have quoted now ... the Max I’ve seen displayed is 49km on 100% charge ... but remember the range will change based on the type of driving, speed, braking etc .. so don’t get too hung up on it.

I think the maximum range I got on a full charge was 52 Km , spoke to technician in Joe Duffy, he said he gets 58KM in a good day( he drives same G20 211)if temp is around 1 degree battery capacity drops by 60% and if below 10 drops by 40%, according to him it’s normal that I get 17 km range on a very cold day. So I guess time will tell!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

You’re not interrupting the charge by opening the car and without driving it or anything are you? The range you describe isn’t temperature varied range, it’s too severe a drop.

• Advertisement

MarkN wrote: »
    You’re not interrupting the charge by opening the car and without driving it or anything are you? The range you describe isn’t temperature varied range, it’s too severe a drop.

No nothing like that , the technician happens to drive the same year model and that’s what he said., so I don’t know, also I don’t know anyone who owns 330e or similar, that’s why I’m here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

I generally get a max figure of 48km on a 100% charge, and a low (cold weather ) of 35km. As mentioned above, heated seats and any climate control will immediately reduce the range.

The Extraboost feature is cool, however when going for blast, do have the petrol engine warmed before for a few minutes before.

Generally a great car, and loving the experience so far...

have you tried charging it at another charger - I had issues with what was like a battery leak - as in the car would loose range as it was plugged in. It did give an error on the dash and BMW were at a loss as to what the issue was - turned out my charger on the wall needed a software upgrade and there wasn't anything wrong with the car

have you tried charging it at another charger - I had issues with what was like a battery leak - as in the car would loose range as it was plugged in. It did give an error on the dash and BMW were at a loss as to what the issue was - turned out my charger on the wall needed a software upgrade and there wasn't anything wrong with the car

Good point, I always use the home charger ,I tried charging it 30-40 mins at public ones, EO installer returning next week, May be will run it by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Looking at 2020/2021 330e's at the moment and I'm pulled towards a few for sale with the M Sport Pro Packs.

Any other "must haves" on these?

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Looking at 2020/2021 330e's at the moment and I'm pulled towards a few for sale with the M Sport Pro Packs.

Any other "must haves" on these?[/quote

Wireless charging tray

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

Hi,

I've owned 171 330e M-sport for about a year now and I'm really happy with it. I was a good candidate for this car, low mileage, very short commute etc. I also got a home charger installed. Since the pandemic started and I'm working from home my mileage is now ridiculously low. All I do is short school runs, supermarket and so on. For almost a year now I've only driven the car in full electric mode. Which is great except I'm wondering if this might not be great for the car?

I took it for a good spin a few weeks ago with electric turned off, just to give the engine a drive! Maybe someone who knows more about these cars can tell me if that's necessary or not? Even when things return to normal, the electric only range of the car will comfortably cover my requirements (office is 4km from my house). My wife has a bigger crossover/suv which we will use for longer trips with the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I be inclined to use the engine a couple of times a week regardless. Most would have the engine come in for acceleration even on a short commute. If you dont trigger the petrol engine at all, you could use the mode that retains battery charge and make the car drive on petrol the odd time. I figure this has benefits in keeping everything fresh. You dont want petrol left sitting in a tank, and all engine components sitting still for lengthy periods. Getting abit of heat around the engine bay, keep everything free and in working order can only be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Petrol "goes off" too - it becomes gummy & it's not recommended past 6 months or similar. I'd be using most of what's in the tank every few months & diluting then with fresh petrol. No need to fill it, 10 or 20 litres should do.
    The BMW PHEV tanks are pressurised to mitigate that issue but no harm to freshen up the fuel every few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Pentax

Hi All,

Im looking for some advise on the G20. I have been looking to buy a 3 series for some years and Im now finally in the position but I can t decide which engine variant I should go with on the G20.

I cant decide between the 330e, 330i or the 320D. I like a fun car and I have always had diesels but with the way the government is going it might be time to move away from the diesel.

I like the sound of the 330i but I have no idea what the real life MPG is like or how it will hold its value as its a combustible engine.

And the 330e sound like a good option but only if you plug it in all the time otherwise your just carrying around loads of extra weight. The boot space is small.

Cheers :D

John

I have my g20 just a year now and I love it.

I have a home charger so it is doing about 90% of driving on EV .. school runs etc.

I have the MSport plus and it is quick when you want it to be and even though I live rurally it’s not overly harsh on the backroads .. does not tramline anything like a previous gen MSport model.

Boot space is small .. but how often do you use it ? For a summer road trip I’ve invested in some OEM roof bars and a box.

Over all I love it .. charge it regular and you’ll get the benefit of EV

When we were changing the other car earlier this year we went for a new Leaf as we had seen the good side of EV .. so now have the best of both worlds

Pentax wrote: »
    Im looking for some advise on the G20. I have been looking to buy a 3 series for some years and Im now finally in the position but I can t decide which engine variant I should go with on the G20.

I'd be 100% in the 330e camp. The estate version looks good & is obviously far roomier/more practical than the saloon.
    If you're not looking at brand new, the G30 530e is worth a look too. More used choices & likely more affordable options available as it was released in 2017 vs 2020 IIRC for the 330e.

I have my g20 just a year now and I love it.

I have a home charger so it is doing about 90% of driving on EV .. school runs etc.

I have the MSport plus and it is quick when you want it to be and even though I live rurally it’s not overly harsh on the backroads .. does not tramline anything like a previous gen MSport model.

Boot space is small .. but how often do you use it ? For a summer road trip I’ve invested in some OEM roof bars and a box.

Over all I love it .. charge it regular and you’ll get the benefit of EV

When we were changing the other car earlier this year we went for a new Leaf as we had seen the good side of EV .. so now have the best of both worlds

Thanks Whippet,

Do you have a wall charger or do you just plug it into a normal 3 pin socket. Do you know if the wall charger has any benefits over a normal 3 pin socket.

From your experience what has been the real MPG/range for each driving mode -

Hybrid (fully charged) -
    Battery Only -
    Petrol Engine (Battery flat) -

My wife regular (2 a month) completes a 100mile one way trip to see her parents. What is the car like for that type of journey and would she need to charge it again before heading back, another 100miles.

Thank you in advance.

Kramer wrote: »
    I'd be 100% in the 330e camp. The estate version looks good & is obviously far roomier/more practical than the saloon.
    If you're not looking at brand new, the G30 530e is worth a look too. More used choices & likely more affordable options available as it was released in 2017 vs 2020 IIRC for the 330e.

Hi Kramer,

I would love the estate put they are serious money. I have also considered the 530e as there is some really good value out there at the moment but I think the car is very big and not a fun as the 3 series. What do you think?

Thank you

Pentax:)

Thanks Whippet,

Do you have a wall charger or do you just plug it into a normal 3 pin socket. Do you know if the wall charger has any benefits over a normal 3 pin socket.

From your experience what has been the real MPG/range for each driving mode -

Hybrid (fully charged) -
    Battery Only -
    Petrol Engine (Battery flat) -

My wife regular (2 a month) completes a 100mile one way trip to see her parents. What is the car like for that type of journey and would she need to charge it again before heading back, another 100miles.

Thank you in advance.

Hi Pentax,

I got a G20 330e from Joe Duffy back at the end of January, and loving the experience so far. The secret to getting the max efficiency from the 330e is a proper installed wall box. For the first week I was on the 3 pin plug in charger , hanging out the front window of the house, this would normally take 7-8 hours to charge to 100%, which effectively eliminated several fully electric trips during the day.

The installed wall box supplies 3 time the wattage (I think), and is installed directly from the fuse box, so the charge time is around 2 hours, so I can do several fully electric trips during the day. The combined usage from last 6 months is 1.4 Lt per 100Km, and could have got better if i avoided the back road blasts...

Spent just over €100 on petrol since Jan, so a massive saving for me, however virtually all of my trips are short, and within electric range. 95% of the time leave the car in Full electric mode, and only use the xtraboost when I want to have some fun.

• Advertisement

Also in term of range you only tend to get 30 miles on Full electric driving, so any 100+ trips will be 70% petrol. Also the 30 Miles is based on easy driving without AC.

I have also considered the 530e as there is some really good value out there at the moment but I think the car is very big and not a fun as the 3 series. What do you think?

I have a 530e so I'm somewhat biased (she'll be going soon - 2019, 40k km, one owner, me!). I always liked big cars & especially saloons, so the 530e was made for me.

The best advice I'd give is try to get a drive in both. It's a big purchase so have a good gander at both if you've BMW dealers near you.

The 330e is likely more sporty though, but the bigger issue could be, as you said, size.

It was taking me about 10 hours to get a full charge from the 3pin granny charger. With the wall box it takes about 3 hours for full charge.

As for fuel efficiency I don't even bother checking any more.

I would get anything up to 42km on pure EV when driving locally depending on weather.

A regular trip I take of about 100km round trip would return about 90+mpg depending on how I drive .. especially on the motorway.

for the last 6 months about 90% of driving has been on pure EV.

I have a 530e so I'm somewhat biased (she'll be going soon - 2019, 40k km, one owner, me!). I always liked big cars & especially saloons, so the 530e was made for me.

The best advice I'd give is try to get a drive in both. It's a big purchase so have a good gander at both if you've BMW dealers near you.

The 330e is likely more sporty though, but the bigger issue could be, as you said, size.

I had a loan of a 530e for a few days and I did like it - the space was nice - however when I got back in to the 330e - I preferred the driving in the smaller car !!

It was taking me about 10 hours to get a full charge from the 3pin granny charger. With the wall box it takes about 3 hours for full charge.

As for fuel efficiency I don't even bother checking any more.

I would get anything up to 42km on pure EV when driving locally depending on weather.

A regular trip I take of about 100km round trip would return about 90+mpg depending on how I drive .. especially on the motorway.

for the last 6 months about 90% of driving has been on pure EV.

Hi Whippet,

Thank you for the personal experience. You cant put a price on your own experience. 90+ MPG on 100km trip is much better than I was expecting.

Also I think the 3 pin plug would be hard to live with after a while. I think it will have to be a wall charger. Do you know how much a full charge costs. I calculate around 25c per kWh 25 x 12 = 3euro. Does that sound right to you.

Cheers

Pentax:)

HI Kramer,

Thanks for your post. I took the 5series for a spin and it felt very big. Saying that i had my 3 year old in the back screaming and it was lashing rain with the wipers going like mad, may have clouded my judgement. :)

Pentax

HI Kramer,

Thanks for your post. I took the 5series for a spin and it felt very big.

Yes, it's a big car & feels it, especially if coming from/used to, a smaller car.
    We had cause to rack up some serious mileage recently, much on narrower roads. We took the Tesla Model 3 & I was glad we did. The 530e would have certainly been problematic.

I've been to Switzerland in the 530e & it was blissful on that trip.

Anyone here in the blue 211 330e yesterday in Limerick? How'd you find the Tesla beside you?

:p.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭omega man

Have these (or just all cars / EVs) gone up in price recently? I picked up a 171 model last year (dealer) for 18k but just seeing now most (same year) are now advertised around 20k plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

omega man wrote: »
    Have these (or just all cars / EVs) gone up in price recently? I picked up a 171 model last year (dealer) for 18k but just seeing now most (same year) are now advertised around 20k plus.

Yep, a lot of cars have indeed gone up in price, I've seen the same as you have in cars I'm looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

Collected mine on friday. At the moment using the 3 pin for charging, have the wallmount booked for installation next week. So i cant comment yet on effeciency. But it is an absolute pleasure to drive, found it comfortable, fun to drive. its just wow. (sorry still gushing over it :D)

When i have the wall charger fitted and have driven it a bit more i'll let you know what the average effeciency has been

Advertisement