Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Positive examples

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Dolly Parton!

I also like how Jennifer Aniston really discusses how people talk about women without children.

Kamala Harris is also amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Bodjhrjekekr

Oprah's a pretty inspirational one for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Brent Pope would be a good male one,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Helen Mirren has always been vocal about being childfree.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Dolly Parton!

I also like how Jennifer Aniston really discusses how people talk about women without children.

Kamala Harris is also amazing.

Kamala Harris is a step mom (or step mala I think they call her). Her husband Doug has kids from previous marriage. For me, I don't see Kamala as living a childfree life

(Ps. But yes I think she is a amazing)

• Advertisement

amdublin wrote: »
    Kamala Harris is a step mom (or step mala I think they call her). Her husband Doug has kids from previous marriage. For me, I don't see Kamala as living a childfree life

(Ps. But yes I think she is a amazing)

Yes, I suppose she doesn't fit the definition now that she has stepkids. It is just hard to find examples of women who have amazing serious careers who don't have kids. The only other two I can think of are Angela Merkel and Teresa May (not as cool as Kamala). But that is probably just because there are tons of Childfree women with great careers who aren't in the public eye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bunny_mac

Nicola Sturgeon

Joan Wasser (Joan As Policewoman)

Stevie Nicks

The absolute legend that is Betty White!

I'm on the fence on whether he is a positive example but apparently Seth Rogen and his wife are Childfree.

He said in an interview this week: “I don’t know anyone who gets as much happiness out of their kids as we get out of our non-kids"

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

Anne Doyle. She was on Tommy tiernan’s show recently and discussed it. I found it very sad that she had to point out that she didn’t hate children, she just didn’t want her own. There’s a perception there among some that women who don’t want children are cold heartless witches.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Brent Pope would be a good male one,

Really? It seemed like for ages he was just on TV going on about how depressed he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I know she's passed away but Katharine Hepburn made some great comments about how not having children lead to her professional success

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Really? It seemed like for ages he was just on TV going on about how depressed he was.

He has suffered mental health problems but is a gentleman and has done a lot of good by talking about his issues, definitely a positive example in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Dolly Parton!

I love her but I wouldn't really consider Dolly Parton childfree.At least not by choice.
    She says it wasn't meant to be but now that they're older they're glad.

“Early on, when my husband and I were dating, and then when we got married, we just assumed we would have kids. We weren’t doing anything to stop it. In fact, we thought maybe we would. We even had names if we did, but it didn’t turn out that way"

I really liked Seth Rogans statement.Non-apologetic and didn't have to try justify that he wasn't some abomination for not wanting children.

I love her but I wouldn't really consider Dolly Parton childfree.At least not by choice.
    She says it wasn't meant to be but now that they're older they're glad.

“Early on, when my husband and I were dating, and then when we got married, we just assumed we would have kids. We weren’t doing anything to stop it. In fact, we thought maybe we would. We even had names if we did, but it didn’t turn out that way"

I really liked Seth Rogans statement.Non-apologetic and didn't have to try justify that he wasn't some abomination for not wanting children.

Oh interesting, i hadn't read that. I thought her reasons were that she had so many younger siblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

ztoical wrote: »
    I know she's passed away but Katharine Hepburn made some great comments about how not having children lead to her professional success

I don’t like that that’s a reason/excuse.
    Like if you don’t procreate, you have to be fulfilled by some other vocation.
    Some expect me to be ambitious work wise because I don’t have a child.
    I’m not ambitious at work for the same reason I don’t have a child-I want as quiet and easy a life as possible!

I liked Rogen’s interview too.
    ‘I don’t know anyone who gets as much happiness out of their kids as we get out of our non-kids," Rogen told Stern.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Addle wrote: »
    I don’t like that that’s a reason/excuse.
    Like if you don’t procreate, you have to be fulfilled by some other vocation.

Remember Hepburn was very vocal about not wanting kids in the 1930/40s I don't think she meant that she focused on her career to fill a void of not having kids more that her being so clear of what she did and didn't want in her life helped her deal with all the crap she got through out the decades. She never doubted herself even when she was struggling.

"I would have made a terrible parent. The first time my child didn't do what I wanted, I'd kill him."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Amelia Boone. Four time obstacle racing world champion. Anything she has written is well worth reading, in general.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2423714/amelia-boone-motherhood-essay

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

Toyah Willcox

Came across this old article

"We don't have any children and I've never wanted family life. I've probably inherited a feeling of being trapped in family life. I think it's pretty obvious why. My brother has a son who is now in his 30s, but my sister never had kids either. I never had any maternal instinct and it always baffled me why I was expected to have children."

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Pedro Pascal. Has a great relationship with his nephews.

Advertisement