Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic ventilation vs birds :O

Options
  • 09-04-2021 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all,

I have a recurring problem with birds nesting in our attic. The roofing tiles are the concrete corrugated type and the birds enter through the 'arches' created by this shape along the gutter line. This was a minor annoyance for a few weeks a year at first, but now there are far too many and it's causing issues.

Now I am no builder, however I believe ventilation is important in an attic space, and this may be the reason for these arches being left open for air to flow? Bear in mind that our facia boards do not have any kind of vent slots like I have seen on other houses.

My question is;
    -can I seal up the 'arches' with expanding foam?
    -If so what are my options for attic ventilation?

Are there other solutions I should consider? Money is very tight so need to keep the solution as cheap as possible, but I am handy so can do whatever is required myself.

Thanks in advance folks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Fine chicken wire mesh over it might be a better idea, birds won't get in and ventilation will remain, get it with mesh around the thickness of a pencil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mickstrick

Fine chicken wire mesh over it might be a better idea, birds won't get in and ventilation will remain, get it with mesh around the thickness of a pencil.

I was wondering about this also but feel that they would burrow their way in.

Let me add that I'll wait till they've 'moved out' during summer, so this is to prevent them re-entering next season

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭damoth

I had a similar problem before. They nested in the ridges between the tiles and the felt. A few times they fell through where the layers of felt overlap and ended up stuck inside the attic itself.

I got some old chicken wire, cut it into small pieces, rolled them into balls, and shoved them into the ridges so the birds could no longer get in (but air could).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Mickstrick wrote: »
    I was wondering about this also but feel that they would burrow their way in.

Let me add that I'll wait till they've 'moved out' during summer, so this is to prevent them re-entering next season

Yes they try to get through everything. There's bird deterrent spikes you can get for outside that might help too. I'm convinced the lockdown has made them want to move their nests out of the trees and in to people's attics.

damoth wrote: »
    I had a similar problem before. They nested in the ridges between the tiles and the felt. A few times they fell through where the layers of felt overlap and ended up stuck inside the attic itself.

I got some old chicken wire, cut it into small pieces, rolled them into balls, and shoved them into the ridges so the birds could no longer get in (but air could).

Sounds like a plan. Did they ever get in again after that?

• Advertisement

I'm convinced the lockdown has made them want to move their nests out of the trees and in to people's attics.

Thats for sure haha!

I detest the look of those damn spikes

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Eaves comb filler Screwfix.

listermint wrote: »
    Eaves comb filler Screwfix.

I'm sure I've looked at these before. You would need to remove tiling to fix these correctly though surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mickstrick wrote: »
    I'm sure I've looked at these before. You would need to remove tiling to fix these correctly though surely?

Yep. There's not ah sure easy fix solution to this. If you want to cure It theres work.

If you spray foam in there you'll ruin your roof and most likely result in absolutely rotting the thing and knocking decades off its existence.

Not ideal for living in or home insurance. Or selling the house should you need to.

Advertisement