Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Small electric car

• 09-04-2021 9:55am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I do not really want a Nissan Leaf but it does seem to be reliable and popular and himself has me convinced.

What do you think of the nissan leaf e+ tekna? anyone have one?

My last cars were 04 (Nissan Primera) and 07 (Ford Galaxy) so never had a modern car with all the bells and whistles!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The leaf is a bit of a dead tech at this point, having chademo and no battery cooling.
    If you never do 250-300km+ in a day, it's a great comfortable car and will be a massive upgrade on your existing fleet. Especially in SVE spec with propilot.

You can even get one with no money down, on the subscribe and drive offer. They are giving them away!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Your typical usage and the type of driving you do will determine your choice.

What sort of mileage do you do per day/week/year?

Town or motorway driving?

etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I will eventually get a 7 seater as the family car too, this car is for popping to the shops, dropping kids places so very low mileage. Struggling with the price of it for such a normal common car I think is my issue but because it is a normal common car is the reason i think it is also a good idea!!

If you do very low mileage you could possibly spend a bit less and buy a used leaf40 or Ioniq28. 150km range easy and are less than half the price of the L62 e+

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I will eventually get a 7 seater as the family car too, this car is for popping to the shops, dropping kids places so very low mileage. Struggling with the price of it for such a normal common car I think is my issue but because it is a normal common car is the reason i think it is also a good idea!!

What sort of mileage per year. If it's very low, you will hardly save anything by going EV so a small petrol car may still make sense (if this is solely a financial decision).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

+1 on picking up a 2nd hand one to see if a low range electric vehicle suits your lifestyle.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I don't live in Ireland so a petrol car isn't really an option.
    We will have 2 cars but can not put off getting a car much longer, waiting for a decent choice for an electric 7 seater.
    In fantasy land I am driving a Polestar:)

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

If you are looking for a small car with decent range, then there is a fair amount of choice at the moment as you can see on irishevowners.ie.
    For a balance of size and range, the ID.3 is the main alternative to the LEAF and has faster AC charging and a CCS connector. You won't have any problems really with chademo (LEAF, Zoe, older Teslas, Outlander) connections as the ESB are still rolling out dual connector types.

Regards E+, I am changing over to one myself, hopefully at SVE spec. There are a few ex-demos and second-hand E+ SVEs around the country but not many. Dealers do not anticipate new SVE stock until July (there are plenty E+ SV premiums around). Here on the East coast, Windsor Nissan Liffey Valley have a very low-mileage 192 E+ SVE in vivid blue with two-tone black roof.

If you are in the UK, then prices for new ones have dropped considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I don't live in Ireland so a petrol car isn't really an option.
    We will have 2 cars but can not put off getting a car much longer, waiting for a decent choice for an electric 7 seater.
    In fantasy land I am driving a Polestar:)

Where in the world is petrol not an option??

nah I am in Norway:) it is electric car land everything is expensive here.
    Looking at the likes of https://www.finn.no/car/used/ad.html?finnkode=214192505 it is 30k and from a dealer.

The BMW i3 is adorable but not impressed with the ncap rating, the Zoe is too small, the egolf looks very plain, kia and hyundai are not options.The MG looks really good but there are so few of them I worry about repair costs etc
    My last car cost me 10k in 2012!! and it was easy because I knew what I needed and was in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Lantus wrote: »
    Where in the world is petrol not an option??

it is but there are rules that do not apply to electric cars:) You can drive them in cities,some tolls are free,road tax,over all cost etc. There is aso talk of bans on petrol and diesel cars in the near future.

I'm always envious of the prices on finn.no etc from norway, you guys get all the nice EVs much cheaper than we do!

You even have sub €20k model S!

I dont speak Norwegian, but I do speak German and can kind of make out the key details, norwegian is not a million miles removed from German.

I use Google translate:)
    yes you can pick up old Tesla S here sub 20k but depending what area you are in every 2nd car seems to be a Tesla. The S and X are super common but old technology now.

In Norway US Chevy Bolt imports and Ford Focus come in to frame. Both have their disadvantages but since you discounted a Zoe you are not looking for a small car but rather a compact car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

it is but there are rules that do not apply to electric cars:) You can drive them in cities,some tolls are free,road tax,over all cost etc. There is aso talk of bans on petrol and diesel cars in the near future.

Ban on new petrol diesel from 2025 in your local but not yet legally binding. I'd still look at a 2nd hand 7 seater petrol now if you need one as an ev will be very expensive and years before they trickle into 2nd hand market.is an id4 not an option?

id4 is too expensive and too small as my main car. It is gorgeous though.

I have 4 kids so one car needs to fit 5 of us and the other needs to fit 6.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

For low mileage, popping around the town for shops/drop offs then the most economical is a Leaf 30.
    If you don't like the looks then an Ioniq28 but don't discount the Leaf that quickly as unlike the Ioniq it has an App to remote heat etc which would be more prevalent in Norway due to extended/colder Winter months, it's also super comfy.
    Whatever you do don't get a Leaf62+, likes of eNiro even Kona way ahead in terms of range/value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Look at French sites for cars, I remember reading about a lot of imports of French EV cars in to Norway.

slave1 wrote: »
    For low mileage, popping around the town for shops/drop offs then the most economical is a Leaf 30.
    If you don't like the looks then an Ioniq28 but don't discount the Leaf that quickly as unlike the Ioniq it has an App to remote heat etc which would be more prevalent in Norway due to extended/colder Winter months, it's also super comfy.
    Whatever you do don't get a Leaf62+, likes of eNiro even Kona way ahead in terms of range/value.

Thanks , this is really useful info.

Advertisement