Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension built over septic tank

Options
  • 09-04-2021 6:41am

I'm looking to buy a rural property and one I'm looking at has been extended in the last 10 years or so (single storey) and part of this extension is on top of the septic tank. The tank is still accessible as around half of it isn't under the extension. Aside from the many planning issues around this - what would be the options for it long-term? Can the tank be filled in to make it solid or is this a tale where I'd have to knock the extension no matter what? Trying to gauge if it would be worth my trouble - I can shoulder the cost of putting in a new tank and treatment system but the budget wouldn't stretch to demolishing a fairly sizeable extension.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭148multi

I'm looking to buy a rural property and one I'm looking at has been extended in the last 10 years or so (single storey) and part of this extension is on top of the septic tank. The tank is still accessible as around half of it isn't under the extension. Aside from the many planning issues around this - what would be the options for it long-term? Can the tank be filled in to make it solid or is this a tale where I'd have to knock the extension no matter what? Trying to gauge if it would be worth my trouble - I can shoulder the cost of putting in a new tank and treatment system but the budget wouldn't stretch to demolishing a fairly sizeable extension.

Are there any cracks in the walls, is it built lenth wise or width wise across the tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭rayjdav

1st question is "Why would someone actually do this?":confused: If the extension is built like this I would seriously question the rest of the works there.
    If you are buying with mortgage, I'd say any professional who does a pre purchase report will tell you to run a mile.

That's a really good question - I have no idea why someone would do it either! The house is being sold with some renovation works started so will need significant repairs/modernisation anyway, but the extension is the only newly constructed piece (albeit c. 10 years old). I'd share the concerns about the quality of any works done to date so I think of the house in the worst case scenario context and assume it's going to be a big and expensive job. It's a cash purchase with a view to it being the family home.

I don't know if the extension has been built lengthways or crossways over the tank, only that it's definitely under there and some of it extends beyond the house. The vent of the tank is around 1-2 feet from the rear wall of the extension. There's no cracking visible. I'm open to doing some kind of remedial works if they can actually be done (again notwithstanding the planning issues) but if it's a case that the extension would most likely have to be demolished I'm out. The extension is around 45 square metres.

There are rules re how far septic tank has to be from house. 7 metres I think.
    1 and half foot from vent to house would surely be completely illegal (in my opinion).

I agree. I know at the minimum I have to relocate the tank which is fine, I'm just hoping I don't also have to knock the extension because of where the old tank will be :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

I imagine there would be concerns about the effect of the tank on the area. It sounds like it was impossible to access it to perform any sort of maintenance, and it must be draining somewhere if there is no way to empty it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭Deeec

Have you asked the vendors why this was done. If they done something as stupid as building over a septic tank Im guessing that the quality of the rest of the build could be poor. I would walk away and save myself future hassle.

Also ( you may not know or get an honest answer) - Why are the vendors moving? - could this be one of the reasons they are trying to sell the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

rayjdav wrote: »
    1st question is "Why would someone actually do this?":confused: If the extension is built like this I would seriously question the rest of the works there.
    If you are buying with mortgage, I'd say any professional who does a pre purchase report will tell you to run a mile.

This.

OP, if this is the issue you can see, imagine the ones you can't see.

Deeec wrote: »
    Also ( you may not know or get an honest answer) - Why are the vendors moving? - could this be one of the reasons they are trying to sell the house.

Selling due to an acrimonious marriage split, not much information from them or the agents beyond that tidbit.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,995 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

be extremely careful with this possible purchase

1. its a defective product currently so no way should you be paying top price for it.
    would you buy a car that you have to change the engine in for full price?

2. if you purchase you need top be fully aware of possible costs to "make right" the issues

3. diverting all the foul waste and installing a new system could cost more than 5 figures

4. you would need a structural engineer to tell you if filling the tank will affect the current foundations and structural stability of eth extension.

5. are you even sure there enough site area left to be able to properly move and install a new system?

off the little information given so far i think you could be looking at circa €20,000 by the time all professionals are paid, assessments done, and new systems installed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

OP, walk away and don't look back.
    If the gossip about the why is correct, then they won't settle for a realistic price

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Thanks for the replies - we've decided not to proceed any further with it. Looking for a fixer upper but not that kind of fixer upper!

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

It was a sh!thole alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks for the replies - we've decided not to proceed any further with it. Looking for a fixer upper but not that kind of fixer upper!

Be sure to share the next one here

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement