Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,055 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I suspect that if you investigated it, that label isn't compliant.
    It is misleading.
    Hyde have history with this kind of thing.
    Yeah, I had my suspicions that it was in breach rather than simply sneaky marketing, but wasn’t 100% sure of the exact requirements/restrictions

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

https://www.fsai.ie/publications/Labelling_of_Irish_Whiskey/#:~:text=The%20labelling%2C%20packaging%2C%20advertising%20or,Irish%20whiskey%2C%20its%20age%20r fsai seems to suggest that it needs to be labelled blended

would help if I linked their site and not the local file from my laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭conor678

Got gifted a bottle of Cotswold single malt whiskey for my birthday. My first English whiskey. Not bad I have to say. I am based in england and its only 33 quid on masters of malt so says the wife.

Interesting distillery story. Worth people keeping an eye out for them, especially if they do a little sample pack.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

conor678 wrote: »
    Got gifted a bottle of Cotswold single malt whiskey for my birthday. My first English whiskey. Not bad I have to say. I am based in england and its only 33 quid on masters of malt so says the wife.

Interesting distillery story. Worth people keeping an eye out for them, especially if they do a little sample pack.

I've had this, it's good, as is their gin.

English whisky in general seems to be on the up and up. The English Whiskey Co does some great stuff as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1901Rory

Weepsie wrote: »

Very interesting link. There apparently is latitude for them to leave off the word “blended”. It says: “Blended Irish whiskey/ Irish blended whiskey” may also be described simply as “Irish whiskey”.

But then the very next sentence is:
    “It is important that any statements or claims made regarding blends of whiskey are not misleading, inaccurate or false.”

I’d say that there is a good argument that the label is misleading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,055 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Weepsie wrote: »
    fsai seems to suggest that it needs to be labelled blended

You can only say blended if it is blended, but you don't need to include it.
    Same what that pot still or single malt doesn't have to be marketed as such.

In this case the large test of "Irish whiskey" under Eiregold is the legal label.
    And, they would claim that the talk of single malts is a description. However, the fact them mention singles and not blend is fully misleading.
    And a quick google turns up a few eyebrows raised previously

• Registered Users Posts: 28,010 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bushmills launching Caribbean rum cask finish... to retail at €30.
    https://t.co/9Dojr9GGjO?amp=1

Please bump thread if spotted on shelves.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Got gifted another bottle of whiskey for my birthday. This time it's Tamnavulin. It's a very nice whiskey. It's my first real bottle of speyside whiskey.

I enjoy my islay stuff but would normally get an Irish one before one of the milder scotch whiskeys .Can't say I can really tell the difference between a speyside and highland whiskey as I find both very nice and palatable however I find both very similiar to Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

There is a fair range of flavours even within Speyside. I like Benriach which has a few different caskings (Rum, Sherry etc) and I find more interesting than e.g. Redbreast.

Yeah some Highland whiskey (Glenmorangie) is very smooth, almost bland, nice enough though.

I'll definitely keep an eye out for them, especially if I see a sample set. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Bushmills launching Caribbean rum cask finish... to retail at €30.
    https://t.co/9Dojr9GGjO?amp=1

Please bump thread if spotted on shelves.

Trying some of this tonight. It's based off the Bushmills white label with the malt element finished in bourbon and rum casks from the Dominican Republic. Not a fan of the white label and wasn't a huge fan of this either sadly.

The Teeling Stiggins Fancy Pineapple Rum Cask was a similar albeit probably older malt and grain whiskey finished in rum casks and was a much better whiskey. So much so Im going to pick up a bottle of Stiggins Fancy rum soon.

Celtic Whiskey have a springbank lottery for the following bottles. You need to email by Friday for a chance to get them.

Springbank 10 Year Old Local Barley
    Springbank 17 Year Old Madeira Cask
    Longrow 10 Year Old Red
    Longrow 21 Year Old
    Hazelburn 13 Year Old Sherry Wood
    Kilkerran 8 Year Old Cask Strength
    Kilkerran 16 Year Old

Put my name in for the Kilkerran 8 year old as it's a lovely drop.

Cazale wrote: »
    Trying some of this tonight. It's based off the Bushmills white label with the malt element finished in bourbon and rum casks from the Dominican Republic. Not a fan of the white label and wasn't a huge fan of this either sadly.

The Teeling Stiggins Fancy Pineapple Rum Cask was a similar albeit probably older malt and grain whiskey finished in rum casks and was a much better whiskey. So much so Im going to pick up a bottle of Stiggins Fancy rum soon.

Have you had the Balvenie Caribbean cask?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,010 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

For Roe & Co fans, Matt Healy's Pot Stilled podcast will have a Roe & Co special, steaming initially live on Youtube tonight at 8pm.

Roe & Co Master Blender, Caroline Martin, is set to retire this month following what has been a momentous 35-year career in the global drink’s industry... In 2017, Caroline played a pivotal role in the creation of Roe & Co. Irish whiskey. Having trialled and tested over 100 prototype blends she eventually landed on blend 106. To celebrate her upcoming retirement, Caroline will be sitting down with host (and author of this website) Matt Healy, to speak to him about the creation of Roe & Co. from design brief all the way to finished product.
    They will be joined by two fantastic guests. Firstly, Lora Hemy, Head Distiller, Roe & Co. Distillery, who will give us some fantastic insight into her different distillation and fermentation techniques that she utilises to create the target flavour profiles that Caroline sets out for the blend. Secondly, Peter Simpson, Head Brewery, Guinness Open Gate Brewery, who will give us fantastic insight into the innovation projects that the Guinness Open Gate Brewery is undertaking with Caroline Martin and the Roe & Co. team

https://potstilled.com/2021/04/06/takeover-roe-co-master-blender/

* Bonus points if they mention the D****O name :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Have you had the Balvenie Caribbean cask?

Have 100ml of it in the press but haven't tried it yet. One of the lads on here had a full bottle I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

The Balvenie could be got in Sainsburys (Newry) as part of a triple mini set (with the Doublewood and a 15 /18?)It was predictably sweet and nothing unpleasant about it but didnt shine .Actually THIS is the set

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Balvenie-Tasting-Collection/dp/B00TPZUA6U

The 17 was v nice but the Doublewood 12 is prob nicer than the Caribbean

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

A mate of mine won a competition ages ago for a load of Jack Daniels stuff. He kept some of it but he doesnt drink whiskey so gave me the bottle and quite a cool highball glass. Its heavy too. Looks better than in the photo tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Has anyone tried Jameson Tripple Tripple? Im not a big fan of regular Jameson straight at all, I think its only fit as a mixer whiskey. Where would the tripple tripple rank in terms my personal hierarchy of Jameson:

1. Black Barrell
    2. Crested
    3. Caskmates Stout
    4. Caskmates IPA
    5. Regular Jameson

The father in law is subjecting me to this stuff. Hint of toffee apple he says. Hint of ****e off it.

Have 100ml of it in the press but haven't tried it yet. One of the lads on here had a full bottle I think.

Based on what you said, I think you’d like it.

I have had a few bottles of it and I think it is more polished than some of the more recent Irish offerings.

• Advertisement

Wild Turkey101

“Hot” at 50% and under 45 euro. But lacking the chewyness of my benchmark bourbon these days, Eage Rare.

It’s good, but I won’t be buying a second bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Hogzy wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Jameson Tripple Tripple? Im not a big fan of regular Jameson straight at all, I think its only fit as a mixer whiskey. Where would the tripple tripple rank in terms my personal hierarchy of Jameson:

1. Black Barrell
    2. Crested
    3. Caskmates Stout
    4. Caskmates IPA
    5. Regular Jameson

I had never even heard of it!

https://www.jamesonwhiskey.com/en-EN/ourwhiskeys/jameson-triple-triple

For me:
    1. Black Barrel
    2. Jameson (regular) [never straight, but has its place as a mixer and does that job impeccably]

Never had the Caskmates Stout and that's only because I hated the IPA.

I also think Crested is a mess. Struggled to like it for years. Had a bottle last year that I had been given in 2017 as a going away present but opened it in a fit of pique writing my thesis and thought it was still gack. TK Red was helpful! Just can't put my finger on what it is that I find so objectionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

https://www.jamesonwhiskey.com/en-EN/ourwhiskeys/jameson-triple-triple

For me:
    1. Black Barrel
    2. Jameson (regular) [never straight, but has its place as a mixer and does that job impeccably]

Never had the Caskmates Stout and that's only because I hated the IPA.

I also think Crested is a mess. Struggled to like it for years. Had a bottle last year that I had been given in 2017 as a going away present but opened it in a fit of pique writing my thesis and thought it was still gack. TK Red was helpful! Just can't put my finger on what it is that I find so objectionable.

Black barrel is a nice drop.

I actually didn't mind the IPA one. Find it easy to drink once I accepted it was a whiskey abomination haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Black Barrel is certainly the best of them. The original Cask mates stout, which was in collaboration with The Franciscan Well was better than the current one imo. Different brewery involved
    Haven't had the Triple Triple either. Was wondering about it as it's good value online.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,269 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Caskmates Stout is decent

Based on what you said, I think you’d like it.

Sounds good. I'll have to give it a go over the weekend and let you know how I get on.

Hogzy wrote:

A travel exclusive until covid struck so you can now buy it online. Never tried it but was chatting to a fella in work a few weeks ago who got a bottle. He said he enjoyed it but wouldn't be going to too much bother to seek a second one. Finished in Bourbon, Sherry and Malaga casks its 51 euro for a litre bottle.

Bassfish wrote:
    Black Barrel is certainly the best of them. The original Cask mates stout, which was in collaboration with The Franciscan Well was better than the current one imo. Different brewery involved Haven't had the Triple Triple either. Was wondering about it as it's good value online.

Yeah I like Franciscan Well as a brewery especially their IPA. Jameson bought Eight Degrees Brewing specifically for the Caskmates series as Franciscan Well couldn't commit to the volume they required. Never rated Eight Degrees that highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭picachu

Bassfish wrote: »
    Black Barrel is certainly the best of them. The original Cask mates stout, which was in collaboration with The Franciscan Well was better than the current one imo. Different brewery involved
    Haven't had the Triple Triple either. Was wondering about it as it's good value online.

I never knew that. I loved the origional Caskmates Stout. I wouldn't touch it now. I had thought about trying it again but won't be now!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Yeah I like Franciscan Well as a brewery especially their IPA. Jameson bought Eight Degrees Brewing specifically for the Caskmates series as Franciscan Well couldn't commit to the volume they required. Never rated Eight Degrees that highly.

I would have said the opposite, Shandon Stout was just about the only decent beer Fran Well produced (aside from a few one offs).

I'd dare say Caskmates has now become a number's game whereas before it was just a bit of an experiment. The Stout one is grand for the price of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement