Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extended warranty for Tesla - worth it or not?

Options
  • 08-04-2021 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭

Tesla has an extended warranty which covers an extra 2 years with 40k km or 4 years with 80k km on top of the normal warranty.

The price is around 1,300 euro for 2 years, and 2,600 euro for 4 years.

Has anyone purchased this before? Is it worth it or not?

There are also other third-party warranty products which are much cheaper than Tesla's. Anyone used them before?
    Post edited by liamog on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Never knew they done it.
    For comparison, bmw wanted €900 odd for a 520d a few years back so it’s not too much more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Sam W wrote: »
    Tesla has an extended warranty which covers an extra 2 years with 40k km or 4 years with 80k km on top of the normal warranty.

The price is around 1,300 euro for 2 years, and 2,600 euro for 4 years.

Has anyone purchased this before? Is it worth it or not?

There are also other third-party warranty products which are much cheaper than Tesla's. Anyone used them before?

Where have you seen this, this was offered in the past but as far as I'm aware has ceased by Tesla and others a year or so ago.
    Would be good investment if intending to sell on in the future

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sam W

slave1 wrote: »
    Where have you seen this, this was offered in the past but as far as I'm aware has ceased by Tesla and others a year or so ago.
    Would be good investment if intending to sell on in the future

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/support/extended-warranty?redirect=no

It would direct you to the following link:
    https://sales.inzmo.com/en/tesla/ie

I guess the only advantage is that you do not need to pay anything in case of a warranty claim. You can just book your services as usual in the app and mention it to Tesla that you have this extended warranty. For third-party companies, you would have to pay everything upfront, and then sending a hell lot of documentation to the third-party and risking not getting paid for any kind of loophole...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Excludes battery and motor.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

ted1 wrote: »
    Excludes battery and motor.

Because already covered directly by Tesla

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

https://www.tesla.com/en_IE/support/extended-warranty?redirect=no

It would direct you to the following link:
    https://sales.inzmo.com/en/tesla/ie

I guess the only advantage is that you do not need to pay anything in case of a warranty claim. You can just book your services as usual in the app and mention it to Tesla that you have this extended warranty. For third-party companies, you would have to pay everything upfront, and then sending a hell lot of documentation to the third-party and risking not getting paid for any kind of loophole...

So it's not really a Tesla extended warranty, it's an insurance policy provided by a third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Sam W

Orebro wrote: »
    So it's not really a Tesla extended warranty, it's an insurance policy provided by a third party.

Well, all of these extended warranties, GAP insurances and such are provided by third parties. The difference is that this one is Tesla's official partner, so you would just be able to book your services with Tesla whenever you want, without having to think how much money you need to pay out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Well, all of these extended warranties, GAP insurances and such are provided by third parties. The difference is that this one is Tesla's official partner, so you would just be able to book your services with Tesla whenever you want, without having to think how much money you need to pay out first.

Ah ok, didn't know how extended warranties worked tbh - always thought when done via the brand then it was the manufacturer extending it rather than it being an insurance product, makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

slave1 wrote: »
    Because already covered directly by Tesla

And would you not expect an “extended warranty” to extend your duration of the period they are covered for ?

The MCU etc are also covered directly by Tesla

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Let's be blunt here. Older Teslas have poor build quality compared to other cars that were €100k new. A lot of problems have been sorted on these older cars by now and plenty of owners are still under full warranty from Tesla. My own car is 7 years old, has done almost 150k km and I still have nearly a full year of bumper to bumper warranty left. If I hadn't, I'd consider paying €1300 per year to be covered

That said, the most common problems are MCU, which is now fixed for free by Tesla even for cars out of warranty and the door handles, which Tesla now fixes with free labour, but you pay for the part (about €300) so not so sure if that money is worth it

The newer Teslas are far better built and quality is improving continuously

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement