Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Forgotten Irish movies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

In Fear. That didn't take long

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

dubstepper wrote: »
    In Fear. That didn't take long

filmed in devon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

filmed in devon :)

My mistake. Few miles east of Dubln :D

moving target - starring don the dragon wilson :)

set in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Murphy's stroke - about a horse betting scam, got the DVD free with a newspaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Has Widows' Peak had a mention yet? Mia Farrow, Adrian Dunbar, Natasha Richardson, Joan Plowright and Jim Broadbent starred. It was written by Hugh Leonard. I saw it in the cinema when it was released in the mid 90s but I can't remember the plot at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Has Widows' Peak had a mention yet? Mia Farrow, Adrian Dunbar, Natasha Richardson, Joan Plowright and Jim Broadbent starred. It was written by Hugh Leonard. I saw it in the cinema when it was released in the mid 90s but I can't remember the plot at all.

I'm sure I saw it on the telly but likewise cant remember much only that it was set in the 20s or 30s.

Mention of Mia Farrow has reminded me of Angela Mooney Dies Again. Havent seen full film but saw some clips on I think the Movie Show with Dave Fanning. Didnt make me keen to rush out and watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

It was filmed in Inistioge; we used to go up there and watch. Summer of 1993.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AlejGuzman68

moving target - starring don the dragon wilson :)

set in Galway

I just watched that and was just beyond cringe! Can't believe Don Wilson agreed to star in it.What was most cringy was the car chase and how the horses were just sitting in the stalls all saddled and bridled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Remember RTEs "Ireland On Film" season which they ran circa 98/99? A lot of the films mentioned were shown including I Went Down and a good few more obscure films like Alisa and Korea.

I taped most of those. I also remember
    The Boy From Mercury
    Drinking Crude
    Joyriders

They showed lots of shorts then too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

"CONTRACTORS"

Watched these two shorts today - can't remember how I came across them. I thought it might have been this thread but on checking it seems not.

Described as a black comedy concept sequel short film for potential Irish TV series about two hit men for hire. A strange effort from the people that brought you "Thank you, come again" and it is difficult to tell whether it's supposed to a drama or a 'fly on the wall' documentary about life on de Nortside. Absolute tripe but at least they didn't take long to watch.

https://vimeo.com/277864241

I remember an independent film about New Age Travellers made in West Cork in 1995 called Changing Times. I knew someone in it so went to its (only) screening. Complete rubbish, the director had gotten a generous enough grant from the Arts Council and most of that must have gone on a scene where a caravan goes on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭soiseztomabel

I remember that being shown on RTE.. One grim film particularly the ending.

Just searched it on Wiki, jaysus

I remember an independent film about New Age Travellers made in West Cork in 1995 called Changing Times. I knew someone in it so went to its (only) screening. Complete rubbish, the director had gotten a generous enough grant from the Arts Council and most of that must have gone on a scene where a caravan goes on fire.

One of my life highlights was making it to a summer solstice new age traveler rave in a bog in horse and jockey, it was unreal. A better movie than changing times I’d imagine

Fistful of dynamite - IRA western, part of it filmed in Toners Pub, Dublin.

vriesmays wrote: »
    Fistful of dynamite - IRA western, part of it filmed in Toners Pub, Dublin.

Hardly forgotten. It's a classic western and better known as "Duck, you Sucker!". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Hardly forgotten. It's a classic western and better known as "Duck, you Sucker!". :D

James Coburn and Rod Steiner, TG4 Friday nights quite regularly

Rare trailers for both Reefer And The Model and Budawanney are included here from when RTE screened them over Christmas 1990.

The Eliminator, very low budget but great fun. I saw it in the much missed Kino cinema in Cork. The only Irish based film I can think of with a Vietnam War flashback.

https://variety.com/1997/film/reviews/the-eliminator-1117341454/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Filmed in Ireland rather than an 'Irish' movie, Benedict Arnold: A Question of Honor, a period piece TV Movie 2003 set during the American War of Independence starring Kelsey Grammer and Aidan Quinn.

I had no idea it was filmed in Ireland, but the numbers of Irish in the supporting cast should have been a giveaway e.g. John Kavanagh, Flora Montgomery.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0321416/locations?ref_=tt_dt_dt

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Don't get the Irish connection except that it's on the rubbish Irish Post website?

As Luck Would Have It.

Recent cheesy Hallmark romcom filmed in Waterford starring Allen Leech (Downton Abbey)

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt13775584/

"As Luck Would Have It" - never heard of it but it looks dreadful begorrah leprechaun style tourist board muck. Watched that IMDB trailer - that'll do. :D

How about you - middle-class old timers in a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

stuck with half an hour of a god awful irish movie with pat shortt , tommy tiernan , charlie murphy and Fran from love hate

once it got to the bit where charlie murphy was performing BDSM on a bare arsed Pat Shortt , it was time to get out of Dodge

Dark lies the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Dark lies the island.

thats the one

pure garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    stuck with half an hour of a god awful irish movie with pat shortt , tommy tiernan , charlie murphy and Fran from love hate

once it got to the bit where charlie murphy was performing BDSM on a bare arsed Pat Shortt , it was time to get out of Dodge

But sure once you’ve “finished”, and cleaned up, there’s not much else keeping your interest.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

Dark lies the island.

I havent read the Kevin Barry stories it is based on... so dunno if it worked better on the page.
    There were a couple of scenes that were intriguing but overall a mess.

Advertisement