Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunrise Running

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Murph_D wrote: »
    Well the 17:01 comes from Jack Daniels, so considering he invented VO2Max, it must be based on something. Much more likely Garmin’s method is unreliable and the number is lower - your 5k time indicates 54 (at the time).

I did a proper VO2Max treadmill test as a research guinea pig. No fun at all!

I did a lab VO2 Max test on a rower.. had to be helped off it.

I'm sure the training load, hr etc algorithm is built on something solid. It's probably a potential. I don't take much notice but VO2 moved from 56 to 58 in Jan, to 59 through Feb. 56-59 is usually me in decent shape. 60 is new territory. The interval paces now are new territory. Hopefully it will lead to new territory as a runner..

Edit: yep based on your edit, I've always tracked HR across sports too. My zones are consistent enough. One other variable is my resting hr has dropped 4-5bpm in 2 months too. Hence why I use HRR instead of HR max

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Last week Garmin gave me VO2max of 63 and a predicted marathon of 2.35......pffffftttt...a few days later and I'm down to 61.

Last week Garmin gave me VO2max of 63 and a predicted marathon of 2.35......pffffftttt...a few days later and I'm down to 61.

Relatively speaking, that's about the delta between you and I in terms of run fitness/paces too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Edit: yep based on your edit, I've always tracked HR across sports too. My zones are consistent enough. One other variable is my resting hr has dropped 4-5bpm in 2 months too. Hence why I use HRR instead of HR max

Yep. I only mentioned max because that was referenced in the article. Accurate zones should lead to reasonably accurate estimates - but only if HR is measured accurately. I don’t use the HR strap for every run so that would probably throw off the Garmin, although it’s supposed to be smart about which samples it uses to compute the number. Do you feel it’s reliable? You seem to have faith in the number. I don’t - or else it’s accurate but my running economy is poor and dragging down the potential. Which is definitely possible!

Yep. I only mentioned max because that was referenced in the article. Accurate zones should lead to reasonably accurate estimates - but only if HR is measured accurately. I don’t use the HR strap for every run so that would probably throw off the Garmin, although it’s supposed to be smart about which samples it uses to compute the number. Do you feel it’s reliable? You seem to have faith in the number. I don’t - or else it’s accurate but my running economy is poor and dragging down the potential. Which is definitely possible!

Wear the watch all the time and use the strap for 99% of runs, rows, S&C. I don't bother with yoga or pilates. HRR moves my zones accordingly so I often get notifications about a new lactate threshold. It could be that the HR has moved by 1 sec for same pace or pace has moved 1 sec for same HR. So I have good faith in HR readings in general (ignoring the odd spike/anomaly) but I wouldn't trust the VO2 Max as reliable on its own as a predictor.

Whats good about it is that it considers HRR, Loading, paces etc to change. This can be way off too though. Say you used wrist based HR for a run and it gave mad readings of Z5 avg for a Z2 run. Garmin would likely set your recovery timer as 56hrs+ and suggest to rest or train easy. If you then went and did a tempo next day it would drop your VO2 by 2 points or more!

Using the strap all the time keeps the loading metric quite stable. Like any other metric its rather subjective on its own but combined with other numbers can give context.

New V02 Max (for the little that's worth)
    Reduced resting heart rate
    Last 5k TT was 84-96% HRR while last 20 min tempo at similar pace was 82-88% HRR
    In the same timeframe easy runs are slightly lower HRR for same paces
    Interval pace has increased by 5-10 secs but still barely scraping red zone

Pyramid interval session planned for today and 25 minutes work at these new paces, increased from 18 minutes last week, should push me into the red zone.

• Advertisement

Wear the watch all the time and use the strap for 99% of runs, rows, S&C. I don't bother with yoga or pilates. HRR moves my zones accordingly so I often get notifications about a new lactate threshold. It could be that the HR has moved by 1 sec for same pace or pace has moved 1 sec for same HR. So I have good faith in HR readings in general (ignoring the odd spike/anomaly) but I wouldn't trust the VO2 Max as reliable on its own as a predictor.

Whats good about it is that it considers HRR, Loading, paces etc to change. This can be way off too though. Say you used wrist based HR for a run and it gave mad readings of Z5 avg for a Z2 run. Garmin would likely set your recovery timer as 56hrs+ and suggest to rest or train easy. If you then went and did a tempo next day it would drop your VO2 by 2 points or more!

Using the strap all the time keeps the loading metric quite stable. Like any other metric its rather subjective on its own but combined with other numbers can give context.

New V02 Max (for the little that's worth)
    Reduced resting heart rate
    Last 5k TT was 84-96% HRR while last 20 min tempo at similar pace was 82-88% HRR
    In the same timeframe easy runs are slightly lower HRR for same paces
    Interval pace has increased by 5-10 secs but still barely scraping red zone

Pyramid interval session planned for today and 25 minutes work at these new paces, increased from 18 minutes last week, should push me into the red zone.

I only understand about half of this! :) Loading?

I agree that VO2Max is a thing, and that it’s useful. Just asking if you have faith in the number your watch gives you (I think you do if I’m getting the gist of all the above).

I find it simpler and more reliable to use VDOT (pseudo VO2MAX, as Daniels calls it), because it’s simply based on current or recent race times and allocates paces accordingly. But I think you’re doing that too, or maybe you’re adjusting between TT/races as VO2 changes?

BP 10K Plan Week 2

Mon 22 Mar
    Yoga 23 mins
    Pilates 30 mins
    16.05k @5:00 | HRR 58-67%

First run in the Adidas SL20. Nice shoe. Not as soft as the Nikes I'm using for easy runs but I think the SL20 will have the variability to do some tempo or strides if needed. Bit of a fail this. Last time I ran to work was pre pandemic. For some reason I thought it was 5k. About 3k along the Childers Road I was still a bit away. Dawned on me that I used miles back then and kms now :cool: Duh Mike :rolleyes: So 10k turned into 10 miles. No harm but more than planned on fatigued quads. Despite the quads the HRR was pretty low for the pace. Feeling good :)

Tue 23 Mar
    10.44k @5:09 | HRR 57-66%
    Row 20 mins @2:04.9/500m
    S&C: Calisthenics 20 mins

The interval workout was planned but the legs were still a little shot. No workout for Friday so I could push that out a day and run easy. 10k this time, nice and relaxed. Passed Swashbuckler on the Condell trail and at least this time we recognized each other :)

Later after a rowing warm up I did an easy S&C to ease back onto the mat.
    3 Rounds of 20
    Forward lunge
    Squats
    Reverse lunge with knee drive
    Calf raises
    Single leg glute bridge
    Press ups
    Sit ups

Wed 24 Mar
    18.07k including Pyramid Interval workout | HRR 84-88%
    Weight 76.9kg :)

The intermittent 16:8 fasting is working. I'm not missing anything or restricting proper food. I've stayed away from chocolate the last 5 weeks which helps too. I'm doing the fasting 2-3 times a week and managing my macros. <77kg is something I've not seen in years. The lowest I've been since I took up sport again was 75.6kg for my first Ironman. That was 8 months of 15-20 hour training weeks. I've gone from 81 to 77kg in a month, which proves that nutrition is 70-80% of it. I've also lost 1.5 inches off my waist.

The session today was the main one for the week. I wore the Speeds for it. Into a stiff wind for the bulk of the 4k warm up, I knew some of the intervals would be hard as a result. Still dry though here in the South West so the Speeds felt great. The extra easy day made a difference, I was bouncing along! Got stuck straight in and had to pull the first 1 minute interval back in a tailwind. Hit the target split all too easily. The 2 and 3 minute effort met a headwind and blasted the lungs. With the first 3 reps down it was a few secs reduction in pace for the longer reps. I worked for them but was never under pressure. It was harder to press the pace back up a few seconds for the last 3, 2 1 minute intervals.

Overall surprisingly I never hit the red zone. 19 threshold minutes banked but maxed out at 88% HRR. I feel it was the 2 minute recoveries. The plan said to walk them but I jogged. I had been doing intervals off 1 minute before the plan so I guess the extra minute brought my heart rate back to zone 2. There is a flyover hill just before my house and I use it to gauge how trashed my legs feel. Its usually a chore after a speed session but today not a bother :) Felt great. Garmin decided to lower my LT and move my VO2 Max to 61 this week :rolleyes::D Another new number! Some discussion up the log about it if you haven't already tuned in. Very happy with this workout. Also I haven't missed a target split in the last 3 workouts, unusual control for me.

Pyramid of 1,2,3,4,5,4,3,2,1 mins off 2 minutes jog
    Target range for 1,2,3 min intervals: 3:31-3:37
    Target range for 4 & 5 min intervals: 3:37-3:44
    dist|time|pace|in range
    0.28k|1:00|3:34|Yes
    0.56k|2:00|3:33|Yes
    0.84k|3:00|3:33|Yes
    1.10k|4:00|3:38|Yes
    1.37k|5:00|3:39|Yes
    1.08k|4:00|3:41|Yes
    0.84k|3:00|3:33|Yes
    0.56k|2:00|3:34|Yes
    0.28k|1:00|3:35|Yes

671/2,600 miles (1,080/4,200 km)
    1,903/10k press ups | 470/2k pull ups
    81/83 days active | 76 Run | 8 Row | 21 S&C | 16 Yoga/Pilates

I only understand about half of this! :) Loading?

I agree that VO2Max is a thing, and that it’s useful. Just asking if you have faith in the number your watch gives you (I think you do if I’m getting the gist of all the above).

I find it simpler and more reliable to use VDOT (pseudo VO2MAX, as Daniels calls it), because it’s simply based on current or recent race times and allocates paces accordingly. But I think you’re doing that too, or maybe you’re adjusting between TT/races as VO2 changes?

Loading: Link here. In a nutshell the strain that activities put on your body over a cycling 7 days. Your body adapts to the strain to improve fitness. Once you adapt, you need a step in the loading to progress fitness.

VO2 Max on the watch is almost a misnomer to me. It doesn't drive any behaviour. How can it tell me how many milliliters of oxygen per kilogram of body weight per minute I am consuming :confused::rolleyes: The watch and/or strap can't be measuring blood oxygen consumption so it relies on heart rate variability. This is where I don't have faith: All it can do is measure your rest, max and actual heart rate vs effort over time, usually 7 days. It spits out a number. V02 Max is all about oxygen consumption so for that reason it hold little weight.

What I do find useful is using it as a general indicator along with other signals that my fitness is improving. I'm lighter, training faster at same or lower heart rate than a month or 2 months ago.

The VDOT for 17:01 5K is about 60 and Garmin predicts a 5k of 17:01 at 60 VO2 Max. So psuedo VDOT/V02 Max as you mentioned. I use actual race/TT data first and plan from that. VO2 Max only indicates that I'm improving, but not by how much.

Simple Garmin Explanation of EPOC and Training Load

BP 10K Plan Week 2

Thu 25 Mar
    13.83k @5:09 | HRR 57-67%

Easy but quads a bit fatigued

Fri 26 Mar
    12.59k @4:43 inc 5x15s strides | HRR 63-80%

Gnarly windy chilly conditions. Bumped into Swashbuckler soon after a hail shower. Yapped about shoes for a few minutes. Likely my bright pink SL20s that caught his eye. Did the strides once warm again and the SL20 felt responsive and lively. Due to the chat I was cutting it close to get back for a meeting so the effort was a bit steady running uptown. Enjoyable one.

Sat 27 Mar
    11.48k @5:15 | HRR 54-65%

Fully fasted early run. Nike Infinity React for this one. I'll keep them strictly for the easiest runs of the week. I meant to roll foam roll the quads but the day ran away from me.

Sun 28 Mar
    21.8k @4:36 Long Run inc 3k Tempo | HRR 69-88%

Brutal Long Run. I wanted to wear the Speeds for the short 3k tempo section but it was so wet I went with the Boston 8. Initially felt grand as a wet and windy dusk turned to a wet and windier darkness. It was 2k laps as I did feel like venturing across town. Hit 8k and accelerated to the target tempo pace. 3:47-3:54. Straight away it felt like someone turned the wind up :rolleyes: I saw 170 HR within a km, way too high. It was a laboured 3:52 and my quads ached. The next km a tailwind and 3:46 felt "easier" although the quads complained. Back into the wind for a 3:39 last tempo km. All too laboured. Breathing all over the place and had a stitch to boot. 4 more laps to cover another 9k and I was gladly done with the rain and wind. My quads ached :(

Total for the week: 104.3k in 8hrs24 & 1.5hrs of S&C/Yoga

Consistent volume now but I should really be finishing the weeks in better shape :cool: Week 3 has a couple of sessions for which I'll need better legs. Get through it unscathed and there is a recovery week ahead of the meaty half of the plan.

708/2,600 miles (1,133/4,200 km)
    1,993/10k press ups | 470/2k pull ups
    85/87 days active | 80 Run | 8 Row | 21 S&C | 16 Yoga/Pilates

• Advertisement

BP 10K Plan Week 3
    This is the 2nd "build" week. It has a couple of workouts that will be challenging at these new paces. I came into it a little fatigued so recovery a real focus to get quality from the workouts. Just need to come out of it unscathed and motivated. Next week is a recovery week.

Mon 29 Mar
    12.32k (7+mls) @4:42 (7:34) in 5x15s strides | HRR 61-81%

SL20 for this as it had strides. Lovely evening but horrible run. Dinner repeating on me and quads fatigued.

Tue 30 Mar
    15.21k (9+mls) @5:21 (8:34) | HRR 55-66%

Intervals day is Tuesday in the plan but this week I'll push out a day to get an easy run and some foam rolling on the quads. Gorgeous day. Sun on the bones, birds and butterflies :) It felt pretty laboured. Not aerobically, just legs. Plodding in the Nike Infinity Reacts. A definite knot in the right quad. Had me concerned about the key workout of the week. Kept the run easy around the countryside and found the knot with the foam roller afterwards. Pure pain rolling it out :eek: Meeting the physio next week just to flush the legs out on a recovery week.

Wed 31 Mar
    17.36k (10+mls) @4:06 (6:36) inc 4x1mile off 2'R | HRR 83-94%
    Weight 76.5kg :D

Both weight and resting heart rate have dropped significantly this month. Today was a key workout that I will repeat again in 4 week, the week before the 10k TT. I opted to try out the Nike VP Next% for it. Had to stuff my feet into them and the plastic vapourweave upper felt cheap for the most expensive shoe in the stable :cool: First few minutes running and they felt immediately comfortable and lively! Not the usual waking up the legs. I was bouncing along! The right quad felt better too, thanks to some more painful foam rolling this morning.

Onto the workout. 4x 1mile at goal pace off 2'recovery. A key workout as I will repeat it in 4 weeks. Its why I wanted to wear the Next% as I intended to use them for the TT. I had done a couple of strides and the shoes felt super responsive to speed. Slight breeze but otherwise nice cool day. The first mile 2 mile reps (5:49 & 5:49) felt good. Nice clean midfoot strike. The lungs were working but the legs felt great. Just didn't seem to fatigue as much as the Adizero 4 I've used for intervals. For these 2 reps I went off a bit hard and had to reign it back.

The 2 minute recoveries were supposed to be walking but I jogged them. The heart rate came down and I recovered sufficiently. For the 3rd rep (5:50), I started more conservatively. I was working at higher LT zone but still felt good. This rep was more a case of pushing harder after a km to meet the target.

For the final rep, I was breathing heavily early but still had energy. Found myself starting to fall back on my heels and had to concentrate on staying on midfoot. I counted a few strides in this to stay focused. I hit 1km in 3:37, on target but decided to push hard for the last 600m. Really working but finished with 5:39, a mere 4 seconds shy of my mile PB. Again recovered well and ran home steady at 4:20 pace :eek: I was surprised how good the legs felt after a hard workout :) Aesthetically the Next% look all wrong to me but they work. No magic. They don't add speed. You have to do the work, it was more a case of being able to hold the pace without the same breakdown in form. Hit 19min 5k, 40min 10k and 65min for 10m during this run! New territory, awesome workout :D

4x1mile - Target range: 3:37-3:44
    dist|time|pace|in range
    1.61k|5:49|3:37|Yes
    1.61k|5:49|3:37|Yes
    1.61k|5:50|3:38|Yes
    1.61k|5:39|3:31|No :D

708/2,600 miles (1,133/4,200 km)
    2,058/10k press ups | 485/2k pull ups
    88/90 days active | 83 Run | 8 Row | 21 S&C | 17 Yoga/Pilates

Can I ask (to save me going back over the log) - is goal pace for the 10k TT 5.50min/mile?

Can I ask (to save me going back over the log) - is goal pace for the 10k TT 5.50min/mile?

No. My PB is 38:09. I'm training in kms and my goal pace is 3:37 to 3:44. If I can hold 3:44 pace its sub 38. 5:50 per mile would be around my lifetime 5k PB (18:15) so the faster end of that goal range is closer to 5k pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I also gave up the bad snacks for Lent and have lost precisely no weight!!! I'm quite jealous

ReeReeG wrote: »
    I also gave up the bad snacks for Lent and have lost precisely no weight!!! I'm quite jealous

Gained muscle :cool:

Gained muscle :cool:

A definite no there too :pac:

ReeReeG wrote: »

I started Lent at 81kg, down 10lbs to 76.5. My target was 76.0 so on track with a few more days discipline. I've come off crap for lent before and lost no weight as I just ate bowls of cereal, bread, carbs...

I haven't come off carbs. Just checking macros
    50% Carbs, 30% Fat, 20% Protein. The one I focus on hitting daily is the protein. Getting the protein usually brings in the fat too (learned not to be worried about this, sugar is the enemy) and fat goes to 35+%. The reduction is usually in the carbs, reducing it to 45%. No big changes just getting protein on each meal.

Next, portion control. I'd just fill a plate, bowl.. whatever. I got a food scale and started weighing things. Turns out my 60g alpen was actually 100g. My 20g cheese, 40g. My 10g nuts, 30g and so on. Again nothing major changed. I like preparing food anyway. Easy to weigh as you prep and now I know what 20g of this and that is without weighing.

Biggest change for me and it is the game changer, is intermittent fasting. I started 16:8. Eating for 8 hours and fasting for 16 hours. I favoured breakfast so I ate at 8 with the kids and last ate at 4. Only water or green tea in the evening. Did it for a day or 2 week 1 and 2-3 days since. Making sure I get protein and fibre ensures I'm not hungry. If my last meal was 5 or 6pm I just pushed breakfast to 9 or 10am. WFH helps that. I was at a small kcal deficit most days. The main thing was not to gorge on breakfast after the fast. Eat my normal breakfast and lunch and include nuts later in the afternoon.

After Sunday when back to chocolate, hot chocolates etc.. I won't have a meal late evening (without a reason) but won't not have a bit of dark chocolate or hot chocolate or bowl of plain yoghurt with fruit and seeds. Kind of keep it to 200 kcals. If you prefer evening meal, 16:8 works skipping breakfast too.

Ive done proper fasted runs (easy runs) no problem but I fuel hard or long sessions. I've enjoyed not feeling bloated and I've enjoyed not craving stuff, yet I'm eating what I usually eat.

An interesting read, thanks for sharing the details.
    The one thing that jumps out is I'm probably eating my biggest meal quite late in the day most days! When I was in the office, I was better with having meals prepped so I wasn't cooking after my run but sure these evenings it gives me something to do!
    I'm not in need of losing much weight anyway but had assumed I'd lose a few lbs at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I started Lent at 81kg, down 10lbs to 76.5. My target was 76.0 so on track with a few more days discipline. I've come off crap for lent before and lost no weight as I just ate bowls of cereal, bread, carbs...

I haven't come off carbs. Just checking macros
    50% Carbs, 30% Fat, 20% Protein. The one I focus on hitting daily is the protein. Getting the protein usually brings in the fat too (learned not to be worried about this, sugar is the enemy) and fat goes to 35+%. The reduction is usually in the carbs, reducing it to 45%. No big changes just getting protein on each meal.

Next, portion control. I'd just fill a plate, bowl.. whatever. I got a food scale and started weighing things. Turns out my 60g alpen was actually 100g. My 20g cheese, 40g. My 10g nuts, 30g and so on. Again nothing major changed. I like preparing food anyway. Easy to weigh as you prep and now I know what 20g of this and that is without weighing.

Biggest change for me and it is the game changer, is intermittent fasting. I started 16:8. Eating for 8 hours and fasting for 16 hours. I favoured breakfast so I ate at 8 with the kids and last ate at 4. Only water or green tea in the evening. Did it for a day or 2 week 1 and 2-3 days since. Making sure I get protein and fibre ensures I'm not hungry. If my last meal was 5 or 6pm I just pushed breakfast to 9 or 10am. WFH helps that. I was at a small kcal deficit most days. The main thing was not to gorge on breakfast after the fast. Eat my normal breakfast and lunch and include nuts later in the afternoon.

After Sunday when back to chocolate, hot chocolates etc.. I won't have a meal late evening (without a reason) but won't not have a bit of dark chocolate or hot chocolate or bowl of plain yoghurt with fruit and seeds. Kind of keep it to 200 kcals. If you prefer evening meal, 16:8 works skipping breakfast too.

Ive done proper fasted runs (easy runs) no problem but I fuel hard or long sessions. I've enjoyed not feeling bloated and I've enjoyed not craving stuff, yet I'm eating what I usually eat.

That's very interesting, and fair play on the consistency and progress.

100% on the protein, my macro's are 25% protein, 30% fat 45% carbs or there abouts, agree too on the portion control and mine is a work in progress!!! Am quite jealous of your success with the intermittent fasting, it's not something that will work for me - I think men in general can get away with things like this where women often can't. I have a small protein smoothie in the mornings before my workouts now and a small bowl of porridge about an hour after having learned that working out on empty when cortisol levels are high can be detrimental for women.

Agree too on the small calorie deficit, it can be far more beneficial than a bigger one, having been told for years to eat 500 cals less than your recommend amount and that 1200 was enough!!!

Are you planning to continue past lent?

Are you planning to continue past lent?

Yes, I found something "a way" that works. However post lent 2 things.

1. Significantly chocolate enters the fray again. I say that I'll stick to 1-2 squares of dark lindt mint or a Terrys egg for the occasional blast but that will take discipline! Its a slippery slope, chocolate, but keeping it 50-80% dark helps. Life is way to short to abstain completely!

2. I'll relax on the fasting a little. I've almost lost the weight I wanted but the challenge will be to stay at that. I'll get back to HIIT too so I would expect that I'll get leaner while weight remains constant. The next half of the 10k plan has more frequent workouts so fewer fasting days. I tend to fast ahead of an easy day. I'll do easy stuff fasted but not workouts (HIIT or running sessions)

A benefit of discovering this is that I know how I can quickly reduce bloating after a weekend event, date night, pizza night etc. Water follows sugar so the more carbs and sugar you eat the more water you hold onto, bloating you. Fun must be had and life must be lived, however running on a bloated tummy is not fun. Doing a day or 2 of intermittent fasting after a blowout coupled with a return to protein and fibre focus sort of regulates the body again. I guess in my 20s I would have called this a detox :D

• Advertisement

BP 10k Plan Week 3
    Week 3 continues with another workout, some fatigue creeping in.

Thu 1 Apr
    15.23k (9+mls) @4:52 (7:50) | HRR 61-72%

More sunshine and the body feeling surprisingly good. Enjoyed this out around the countryside. Short shorts and singlet :) I even rolled my socks down only to end up with a heel blister.

Fri 2 Apr
    17.5k (10+mls) @4:20 (6:58) inc. 3x 10min Tempo | HRR 82-88%
    Weight 75.9kg target achieved :D:D:D
    Plus 2.5 inches off my waist in 6 weeks :D

What a fabulous day! I decided to run through the Industrial Estate and around the perimeter to bring in a couple of hills and wind. I really didn't need to bring more challenge, the reps were laboured enough :rolleyes: Last fasting day ended this morning and although I had a decent breakfast I probably needed more carbs for this session. I just felt a bit under powered.

The target was 3:47-3:54 and I executed each 10 min rep at 3:49, 3:46, 3:46. I stopped twice during the second rep cursing a long stretch into a fresh breeeze. Stepping on and off footpaths was not helping the rhythm. Got going again straight away but struggled mentally. For the last 10 mins I just gritted it out. Another 25 mins threshold banked on top of 29 mins from Wednesday so 2 meaty workouts. I knew it was going to be a tough "build" week and can't complain about 30 minutes at 38min 10k pace. There were 2 mins recovery between reps that I jogged again instead of walking.

At least thats the main workouts done for this half of the plan. The weekend is mostly easy and next week is a recovery week. I also have an appointment with the physio on Tuesday to flush the legs out :)

3x 10mins - Target range: 3:47-3:54
    dist|time|pace|in range
    2.65k|10:00|3:49|Yes
    2.65k|10:00|3:46|No
    2.65k|10:00|3:46|No

757/2,600 miles (1,218/4,200 km)
    2,148/10k press ups | 485/2k pull ups
    90/92 days active | 85 Run | 8 Row | 21 S&C | 17 Yoga/Pilates

BP 10K Plan Week 3
    Thats a prep and 2 build weeks complete. All workouts complete too. A recovery week coming up where the focus will be on mobility, form, easy running, yoga and physio.

Sat 3 Apr
    11.15k (6+mls) @5:46 (9:16) | HRR 50-60%

Recovery miles in nice evening sunshine. Nice but for the midgies :cool:

Sun 4 Apr
    16.4k (10mls) @4:48 (7:43) | HRR 65-77%

Out first thing in a fog for a reduced long run. Had to be done early as I was slow roasting some lamb. Watch needed a charge so rather than wait I used Mrs Shotgun's Garmin. The run put her onto "over reaching" for her C25K Garmin Coach plan :D Simple laps of the block with 6x 1min pick ups at the end. Then an easter egg for breakfast :cool::)

Total for the week: 105.2km in 8hrs23 & Zero S&C besides 30 press ups every morning.

774/2,600 miles (1,246/4,200 km)
    2,118/10k press ups | 485/2k pull ups
    92/94 days active | 87 Run | 8 Row | 21 S&C | 17 Yoga/Pilates

Lot of talk of chocolate abstinence on this log lately. Was thinking the other day that the annual Easter Egg price war is the chocolate industry’s war on lent. 40 days of ‘three for €3’. ;)

Lot of talk of chocolate abstinence on this log lately. Was thinking the other day that the annual Easter Egg price war is the chocolate industry’s war on lent. 40 days of ‘three for €3’. ;)

All that milk "chocolate" is rubbish. The good stuff is rarely discounted to that effect. Reckon I put away 3,000 kcals of the stuff the last 2 days. Out of the system now I think. Penance was the most uncomfortable run this evening in weeks :eek:

Well I am distinguishing between the chocolate 'industry' and chocolate itself, naturally. And I'm a year-round man myself, don't really understand this easter indulgence thing.

BP 10K Plan Week 4
    Its a recovery week with a solitary workout. It will have a slight reduction in overall volume. The objective is to let the body adapt to the training from the past few weeks

Mon 5 Apr
    12.23k (7+mls) @4:43 (7:35) | HRR 64-73%

Late evening run with fading light. Caught the sun setting while running over the bridge in and out of town. Pretty cold to start but soon warmed up. Kept this at the steadier end of the easy zone to stay warm. Very uncomfortable run after the Easter excesses and the ridiculous amount of chocolate eaten :o Loads of it left in the house and more arrived in the post this morning for the kids or Mrs Shotgun (who eats a square at a time :rolleyes:). The only way to keep disciplined is to return to the intermittent fasting. The last few km were positively butt clenching, horribly uncomfortable and into a stiff chilly wind!

Tue 6 Apr
    17.34k (10+mls) @4:35 (7:22) inc 10x400m off 60s | HRR 81-89%

The only workout of the week. Its all relaxed running from here. I decided to get it done today before the physioterrorist tears into me later. Wore the Adizero 4. Carbon plates are wasted on 400s IMO. Lovely sunny afternoon but a biting baltic northerly greeted the "warm up". Simple 400s eh, I don't dread them like I used to. Quick workout, executed on pace. Reps 3, 6 and 9 were entirely into a miserable cutting headwind but otherwise it was all good. I missed 2 reps on the fast side in a tail wind and I gave the last rep welly.

Interestingly I checked a 12x400 session back in January and for a similar or slightly higher effort (82-91% HRR), the reps were on average 6 seconds slower. No doubt, I'm fitter now but I wonder if I will be able to string a relatively quicker 5k together? :confused: I guess we will see in a few weeks. Took a scenic cool down route home only to be caught in sudden dark, gale force hail shower that froze me to the bone :rolleyes: I plan to do some yoga later unless the physio gives me homework.

10x400m off 60s jog
    Target range 3:31-3:37
    dist|time|pace|in range
    400m|1:25|3:33|Yes
    400m|1:24|3:32|Yes
    400m|1:25|3:34|Yes
    400m|1:26|3:36|Yes
    400m|1:26|3:35|Yes
    400m|1:23|3:29|No
    400m|1:23|3:28|No
    400m|1:20|3:21|No

792/2,600 miles (1,276/4,200 km)
    2,118/10k press ups | 485/2k pull ups
    94/96 days active | 89 Run | 8 Row | 21 S&C | 18 Yoga/Pilates

BP 10K Plan Week 4 - Recovery

Wed 8 Apr
    13.24k (8mls) @5:11 (8:20) | HRR 56-65%

Lovely evening. Calm, chilly and for a city perspective, reasonably silent. Running down the last of the daylight, I could hear my own footsteps, the birds chirping and the body creaks! After the physio safe to say the legs were tender. I had no issue to report to him as usual so it was a "systems check". Hip mobility all good, single leg get ups off a new tiny 9inch box good. A small difference in strength between left and right quads and about half a an inch measurement difference. Easy to understand and simple enough to progress with lunges, glute bridges, single leg get ups etc... What I don't do is do movement as slowly and specifically as I do in the physio studio :rolleyes:

Then he got to work on knots. I thought I did a decent job of finding and foam rolling out a knots in my right quad and calves last week, but of course he gave an evil cackle, and went full physioterrorist on them. I weeped :eek:

We chatted about all things life and running. Down to ground contact time and left/right percentages. He was pretty surprised at my stride length (1,2m easy, 1.6m tempo) and its just another reason I like him as a physio. He is genuinely curious about finding root cause and goes into detail. I've become fitter, stronger and faster since last meeting him and he enquired if I had taken on a coach. Got me thinking again. Its something I intend to look into after the 10k TT. Its about time, before time runs out really :o

On another note, who doesn't love fresh brown soda bread with a cup of tea? A slice of this with avocado and a seasoned poached egg or just plain butter and marmalade... NOM.

Takes 5 minutes to mix in a bowl and 35 minutes at 200C. Wrap it in a slightly damp tea towel out of the even.

Mix the wet
    100ml whole milk
    250ml buttermilk
    1 egg
    1Tbsp honey

Mix the dry
    100g plain flour
    350g wholewheat flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    2 tsp salt

Mix wet & dry
    Baking paper in tray, press it in
    Score a 0.5cm deep line along the center
    Top with chia seeds and a sprinkle of oats
    35mins at 200C, easy :)

brown-soda-bread-mix.png

BP 10K Plan Week 4 - Recovery
    Slight reduction in volume and 60% reduction in intensity. The objective was to finish the week feeling refreshed and ready to drive on. The workouts come thick and fast for the next 4 weeks with a 10k TT at the end and the Board 5k TT in the middle.

Thu 8 Apr
    Row 30 mins - 7,015m | HRR 51-60%
    Yoga 45 mins | YWA Breath Days 12&13
    10.45k (6mls) @5:11 (8:21) | HRR 55-62%

Easy out in the wind. Enjoyable enough run but legs not fresh yet.

Fri 9 Apr
    Yoga 35 mins | YWA Breath Day 14
    6.2k (3+mls) @ 5:06 (8:13) | HRR 57-65%

Had a migraine all night and all day. Felt rubbish. In hindsight I should have rested completely. The run was a miserable waste of time plod :(

Sat 10 Apr
    12.52k (7+mls) @4:47 (7:42) inc 5x20s strides | HRR 65-91%

Feeling better and sprightly running down the last of the evening light. I got a fright when I thought a bat flew straight into my face only to suddenly turn away. Too early for swallows and bats likely still asleep so it was some other very agile bird. A starling maybe :confused: Woke me right up from a kind of daze and I gave the strides a push at 2:42-3:00 pace. Felt fabulous up on the toes. The Boston 7s may have 450k+ on them but I'll miss them when they are done. Super versatile shoe.

Sun 11 Apr
    18.57k (11+mls) @4:34 (7:21) inc 8x1min on/off | HRR 67-85%

Had a very enjoyable warm up for this "shorter" long run. Zoe, my 6 year old daughter wanted to go for a run so we did the bones of a km as a family around the woods :) Lovely sunny day with a chilly breeze. Warm sunshine and a hail shower :rolleyes::confused: Found a lovely relaxed rhythm for 40 mins and then got the short bit of work done. 8x 60 seconds on/off. Run on feel was the objective. The surges were 3:32-3:44 pace depending on the wind. Felt good. Met my old man out on a 3 hour power walk on the way home. He needs a pair of cushioned runners so obviously I'll likely find 2 for the price of 1 pair :D Overall a good run and ended feeling so so much better than Friday.

Later playing basketball it was a tight game between the boys and girls. Zoe won it for the girls with an amazing clean 10ft throw over my head and outstretch arms :D

Total for the week: 90.6km in 7hrs24 & 2hrs S&C

830/2,600 miles (1,336/4,200 km)
    2,268/10k press ups | 520/2k pull ups
    98/100 days active | 93 Run | 9 Row | 21 S&C | 20 Yoga/Pilates

Might be a stupid question but how do you quantify 60% reduction in intensity?

• Advertisement

Might be a stupid question but how do you quantify 60% reduction in intensity?

I track the number of LT/RZ minutes I bank each week. I was up to 54mins on last build week. There was 22mins planned for the recovery week. Back to 55 mins this week.

Advertisement