Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Driver Opinions

Options
  • 08-04-2021 9:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 27,797 ✭✭✭✭

Folks I've been thinking of changing my 915 for the last two years and I think I'm going to finally bite the bullet. I play off 18 and the 915 is 10.5° with a 60g regular shaft.

I tend to hit the ball quite high so on a windy day I'm losing a bit of distance and get virtually zero run on the ball. I know I could drop the loft on the 915 down but I just fancy a change now.

I want to drop down to 9.5° on the new club. The two that I'm looking at the moment are the Cobra Speedzone and the TS1/TS2. I've played a round with a TS2 but it was set to 10.5° but I did like the feel off the face.

Anyone like to give me thoughts on either of these? I know I should wait until shops are open again so I can test them myself properly but I tend to get impatient :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

I have the speedzone and it's a great club.

If you want to hit it low take the ball back in your stance, grip it down a little and don't try to murder it. Buying a new driver will do basically nothing to encourage you to hit it low.

If you want a new driver go for it and enjoy it. I'd recommend waiting until you can get a fitting. I don't think the fitting makes all that much difference, but it's a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,797 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

blue note wrote: »
    I have the speedzone and it's a great club.

If you want to hit it low take the ball back in your stance, grip it down a little and don't try to murder it. Buying a new driver will do basically nothing to encourage you to hit it low.

If you want a new driver go for it and enjoy it. I'd recommend waiting until you can get a fitting. I don't think the fitting makes all that much difference, but it's a lot of fun.

Thanks for that. All good points.

I developed a huge slice about 3 years ago and after that I went for a good few lessons to help stop that. Once that was sorted in the last two years we worked on a few other bits and one of those was to get a smooth rhythm to my swing which I'm sticking to. I even see myself if I try swing much faster I lose my timing and everything goes wrong :pac:

I really just fancy something new. I've seen the Cobra in person in McGuirks before Christmas but I was rushing that day and didn't have time to actually hit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Isn't shaft the key thing? I'd recommend going for a fitting and find the shaft that gives u the right trajectory, spin etc.

Its a good investment in ensuring you don't feel like changing again soon....get something that is factually right for you. That starts with the right shaft, then you add the club head, and consider the feel, the feel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

10.5 head may be good for you, maybe a low launching low spin shaft might make a big difference

Isn't shaft the key thing? I'd recommend going for a fitting and find the shaft that gives u the right trajectory, spin etc.

Its a good investment in ensuring you don't feel like changing again soon....get something that is factually right for you. That starts with the right shaft, then you add the club head, and consider the feel, the feel etc.

I really like the shaft in my 915 so if I went with the TS1/2 I can just swap to my old shaft into the new club as they use the same adapter.

I probably will wait to be fitted but that looks like it could be another month or so before I can even talk to someone local. If they don't let us leave our county it means I can't look at the likes of ForeGolf or McGuirks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

As someone who went to a demo day before for a driver fitting, personally I would suggest the same as above. The weight of the shaft and also flex to me was more important than the head itself. As someone who hadn’t got fitted before and wasn’t sure about it all, it was interesting to see how much difference it made for me even just between regular and stiff shaft. People often said they would have thought i should have been stiff shaft but in fact when I tried it all I got was typically lower hooky drives, whereas with the regular a nice high draw. Maybe it was an inconsistent swing from one to the next I don’t know... Now maybe you know your specs regarding driver shaft etc or flex / weight of shaft etc but it might be worth considering trying a few combinations if possible even just for your own feel but in the current climate with covid that may not be possible for a few weeks and who doesn’t like buying new golf stuff online!!

JIdontknow wrote: »
    As someone who went to a demo day before for a driver fitting, personally I would suggest the same as above. The weight of the shaft and also flex to me was more important than the head itself. As someone who hadn’t got fitted before and wasn’t sure about it all, it was interesting to see how much difference it made for me even just between regular and stiff shaft. People often said they would have thought i should have been stiff shaft but in fact when I tried it all I got was typically lower hooky drives, whereas with the regular a nice high draw. Maybe it was an inconsistent swing from one to the next I don’t know... Now maybe you know your specs regarding driver shaft etc or flex / weight of shaft etc but it might be worth considering trying a few combinations if possible even just for your own feel but in the current climate with covid that may not be possible for a few weeks and who doesn’t like buying new golf stuff online!!

I got advice from my pro a few years ago and moved to regular shafts in all my clubs and it made a big difference. By changing back to regular I just got more consistent in my swing.

I'll give him a shout about fitting me in when they reopen. Only problem is he doesn't sell Cobra so it'll be the TS1/2 if I go with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Neewollah

100% wait and get fitted would be my advice. I've been playing golf since my early teens and never got fitted for anything over the years. Decided to take the plunge last summer as I felt my game had stagnated and needed something to try and help me reduce the handicap. Playing off 6 now and the goal is to get to 3 or 4.

Went to Foregolf and it was a fantastic experience. The Driver is definitely the club you will see the most difference with if fitted properly for you. I had picked up a 2nd hand 915 off the rack, 8.5 loft, XS shaft a few years ago. I was able to work with it but never suited me properly compared to the driver I had before that. No matter how hard I tried all I could do was play it with a fade. I had lost a lot of distance compared to my playing partners.

I ended up with the SIM driver and its the best thing I've ever bought I believe. I went from 240 to 270 carry with a simple change in shaft. Ball flight now is completely different. Much lower with a nice baby draw. I to had issues with the Titleist when playing into the wind.

Unfortunately with all the lockdowns I haven't had a proper run at getting fully used to the new set of clubs and try and get lower but 100% they have made a massive difference and I'm sure if I can get a run of a few months of golf I'll hit my target handicap.

There is probably a fair waiting list for foregolf so your best bet will be McGuirks to get seen quickly or somewhere local when things open. Personally if I were you would go for the Cobra as I think they will suit higher handicaps better as they are more forgiving. I've always found the Titleist drivers to be very unforgiving. That being said I haven't hit the new version so I'm sure they are different to the older versions.

240 to 270 is a phenomenal increase in distance. I went from a 10 or so year old regular flex Cobra S9 10.5, to a Speedzone stiff 9.0 and gained about 5 yards of distance. The clear thing from the fitting was that if I could get my angle of attack sorted I'd be getting about another 20 yards, but that is nothing to do with the club.

I'd be surprised if most people here wouldn't be in the stiff shaft swing speed range. Just considering the fact that we're a lot younger than the average golfer. I remember the guidance on swing speed for a driver was that 90-105kph was stiff shaft territory. So if you're buying from the rack without trying, I'd lean towards a stiff shaft, unless you feel that you swing it slow. If you can try them go with what feels nice. If you can get fitted that's the best option of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Slightly off topic but in the subject of fitting, would the likes of foregolf be allowed to open from the 26th??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

I have been waiting to get fit there since October last year and was put off with each lockdown. I spoke to them last week and facilities in golf clubs like fitting they hope to be open mid may possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Neewollah

blue note wrote: »
    240 to 270 is a phenomenal increase in distance. I went from a 10 or so year old regular flex Cobra S9 10.5, to a Speedzone stiff 9.0 and gained about 5 yards of distance. The clear thing from the fitting was that if I could get my angle of attack sorted I'd be getting about another 20 yards, but that is nothing to do with the club.

I was amazed at how simple it was to get that extra distance with a properly fitted club. My swing speed with the driver is between 110 and 115 MPH so I should be hitting the 270 mark with that speed. The old driver was just completely wrong for me but I was able to manage and be competitive off the standard tees. Problem was off the medal tees with the extra distance on each hole which should have been suiting the lower handicap I always struggled because on holes into the wind in particular I was often 3 clubs behind my regular playing partners.

I don't have that problem anymore...They are chasing me now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Getting fitted is sound advice alright but just on the subject of drivers, McGuirks have some good offers on ex demo drivers, woods and hybrids at the moment....TM Sim, Cobra Speedzone, Titleist TS2 and Ping G410 but shaft options a bit limited.....bargain to be had if not overly concerned about the specifics of the shaft beyond regular/stiff.....

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Getting fitted is sound advice alright but just on the subject of drivers, McGuirks have some good offers on ex demo drivers, woods and hybrids at the moment....TM Sim, Cobra Speedzone, Titleist TS2 and Ping G410 but shaft options a bit limited.....bargain to be had if not overly concerned about the specifics of the shaft beyond regular/stiff.....

That's where I was looking at prices, especially seeing as there's an extra 10% off for Masters week.

The Cobra is €295 and the TS1 is €330 or thereabouts for a new club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

I fancy a crack off the G425max. No disrespect but off 18 you probably miss the sweet spot a bit so this club is supposed to be the dogs in terms of not loosing ball speed off miss hits.

It sounds like a club you can really go after without too much concern of miss hits

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I went from the 917 D2 to a SIM Max, and absolutely love it. Tried the Ping G20 and Cobra Speedzone, but the MAX seemed to click better with me.

Definitely get it fitted though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I fancy a crack off the G425max. No disrespect but off 18 you probably miss the sweet spot a bit so this club is supposed to be the dogs in terms of not loosing ball speed off miss hits.

It sounds like a club you can really go after without too much concern of miss hits

Same! As some as shops open back up I am gona get fitted for a new driver and 3 wood. The ping G425max is top of the list of clubs I wana try

I've no interest in Ping. I just don't like the way their clubs look at address.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I've no interest in Ping. I just don't like the way their clubs look at address.

Then don't bother even looking at them. You're buying a toy effectively. If you don't like the look of them you'll never be fully happy with it, so what would be the point?

The clubs from all the top brands are similar in quality, so you'll be getting top quality whatever make you go for.

That's where I was looking at prices, especially seeing as there's an extra 10% off for Masters week.

The Cobra is €295 and the TS1 is €330 or thereabouts for a new club.

I picked up the Sim Max for just over 250 including delivery with a 10% off code so pretty happy.....came brand new and still in plastic and with the headcover even though says it doesnt. Came with rogue stiff shaft. they have a choice of shaft if you contact them.....hopefully it will suit but for 250 odd its worth a punt...absolute worst case scenario can get fitted for the shaft and the net cost assuming could trade in or sell on the new rogue shaft would still make it good value....

• Advertisement

I picked up the Sim Max for just over 250 including delivery with a 10% off code so pretty happy.....came brand new and still in plastic and with the headcover even though says it doesnt. Came with rogue stiff shaft. they have a choice of shaft if you contact them.....hopefully it will suit but for 250 odd its worth a punt...absolute worst case scenario can get fitted for the shaft and the net cost assuming could trade in or sell on the new rogue shaft would still make it good value....

That's what I'm thinking. Take a chance on one for €250-270 and use it for three or four years and actually work on my game in that time and then when I've managed to lower my handicap get fitted at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Anybody notice that Justin Rose was using the old Taylormade M1 driver yesterday? Found it unusual because all the other TM guys use the newer SIM drivers. Unusual to see a pro using a 4 year old model.

That's what I'm thinking. Take a chance on one for €250-270 and use it for three or four years and actually work on my game in that time and then when I've managed to lower my handicap get fitted at that time.

I think personally getting fitted is ideal if you can afford to splash out for the new driver or shaft on existing driver you're happy with but failing that, as long as you have the right stiffness then from that point on its fine tuning....best thing is to get a consistent swing before thinking about getting fitted.....i'm sure there's other opinions but that's what i'd be thinking for a mid/higher handicapper.....

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭REFLINE1

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Anybody notice that Justin Rose was using the old Taylormade M1 driver yesterday? Found it unusual because all the other TM guys use the newer SIM drivers. Unusual to see a pro using a 4 year old model.

probably just reverting to what he's had success with in the past and is comfortable with after the HOMA disaster.

I think personally getting fitted is ideal if you can afford to splash out for the new driver or shaft on existing driver you're happy with but failing that, as long as you have the right stiffness then from that point on its fine tuning....best thing is to get a consistent swing before thinking about getting fitted.....i'm sure there's other opinions but that's what i'd be thinking for a mid/higher handicapper.....

I have the money put aside for my membership and a new driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    probably just reverting to what he's had success with in the past and is comfortable with after the HOMA disaster.

What's HOMA disaster?
    Ya of course that's what he's doing... but it does show the 'improvements' in newer models are negligible.

Just to come back to this. Did you contact them after you placed the order?

ClutchIt wrote: »
    What's HOMA disaster?
    Ya of course that's what he's doing... but it does show the 'improvements' in newer models are negligible.

I think they meant Honma....basically Rose left TM because he wanted to be the main man with a different manufacturer and they offered big money to him obviously but it didnt work out.....Rose is notoriously commercial but on this occasion it backfired.....

It was a bizzare decision at the time because he had just won the fedex and was world number one. Obviously he wanted to capitalise on his value at that point and cashed in (possibly when TM wouldnt improve their contractor with him or were willing to put him front and centre over the likes of Rory and Tiger)......if i remember correctly he won not long after the move but his form became very erratic after that and after a year or so, stopped playing the clubs...

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Folks I've been thinking of changing my 915 for the last two years and I think I'm going to finally bite the bullet. I play off 18 and the 915 is 10.5° with a 60g regular shaft.

I tend to hit the ball quite high so on a windy day I'm losing a bit of distance and get virtually zero run on the ball. I know I could drop the loft on the 915 down but I just fancy a change now.

I want to drop down to 9.5° on the new club. The two that I'm looking at the moment are the Cobra Speedzone and the TS1/TS2. I've played a round with a TS2 but it was set to 10.5° but I did like the feel off the face.

Anyone like to give me thoughts on either of these? I know I should wait until shops are open again so I can test them myself properly but I tend to get impatient :(

Got fitted for a driver last year, tried 4 drivers before trying the Titleist TS2, I hadn't even thought of using a Titleist because of their reputation as being hard to hit, it was the easiest for me to hit consistently by a long way, even total mi****s weren't a disaster.

Anyway best of luck with whichever 1 you pick.

• Advertisement

Just to come back to this. Did you contact them after you placed the order?

I dropped them an email asking about the shaft spec and the condition before i ordered and they came back to say the SIM were in great condition with some in plastic and they gave me the 3 shaft specs and told me to include my preference in the notes for delivery...they were quick and responsive and very helpful....ironically when i placed my order, assuming that it wouldn't come with the original headcover, i sourced one on line at a decent price so if anyone is looking for a SIM driver cover, let me know!!!

Advertisement