Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problems with purchase of Koleos

Options

Comments

TenBeers wrote: »
    I got from the service manager that 'these cars are not built for our roads'
    So why sell them here then?
    Find a different dealer. Service Manager doesn't deserve his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 TenBeers

Find a different dealer. Service Manager doesn't deserve his job.

Bad enough to have to do a 150km round trip to dealer but next nearest is double that at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Have you considered taking it to a different Renault dealer?

Have you taken legal advice?

As above, have you taken legal advice?

As above, have you taken legal advice?

Am in the process of doing so.

Bad enough to have to do a 150km round trip to dealer but next nearest is double that at least.
    Both Nissan and Mercedes Dealers should be familiar with that engine. The cost of 1 hour of diagnostics would be worth it. Also if problem persists get an ODBII reader and see what the car itself is communicating to you.

• Advertisement

Am in the process of doing so.

What I would suggest then is refraining from further comment here so that you don't prejudice your position pending that advice and how it dictates your next steps. On the face of it, you may have a very good case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭kirving

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    One of the looniest posts I've seen. 50kms is too short but 20kms a week is fine. Care to elaborate on the science?

Accumulation of particulate in the filter and is dependant on the driving style and distance.

Someone doing a 50km commute one way is doing 1000km every two weeks. It takes the granny going to the shops a year to accumulate the same mileage (and soot).

About the worst journey you can do in a modern diesel would be 20 mins one way commute on motorway(~400km/pw) or N roads(~250kmpm).

Long enough at motorway speeds to do big milage every week and build up lots of soot, but short enough that a regen cycle never has a chance to complete.

Coupled to that, the engine wouldn't be up to temperature for half the journey which wont help. I know half a dozen people near me with DPF problems due to that kind of commuting around rural galway.

We hear that people "don't do the mileage for diesel" all the time, but it's about journey profile far more than mileage. If you have a diesel and do exceptionally low milage day to day, and even one long trip in the summer, you may never have a problem in a diesel.

Dealer garage must have someone on boards reading motoring forum as just received a call to offer full valet ;-0

Asked them had they got back to Renault with the concerns that Renault had over this and was told that they have had no contact with this from Renault, even though I have been in contact with Renault every couple of days asking for an update.

Once again, either dealership or Renault is blatantly lying and blaming one another.

Another reason to stay away from Renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Abcryan123

[Replying to kirving]

I’ve noticed that my DPF regenerates approximately every 250 miles during a mixture of driving. When taking mostly short trips (~10 km one way) it can go down to 150 miles between regenerations.

I didn't have time earlier to pen this story but will add it now for potential benefit as elements of it may be relevant to this discussion.

My brother had two Vivaro vans: a 2010 and a 2012. Both had the same Renault M9R diesel engine and DPF's. He had the 2010 van for 3 years till it was written off by an errant truck but thankfully he was uninjured. He replaced it with the 2012 one bought from a main dealer. All went well for about a month and it threw on the warning lights and logged fault codes for DPF ash accumulation. It went back to the dealer who did a regeneration and oil change. Another troublefree few weeks passed till the van repeated the same DPF issues again. The response of the garage was to blame my brother's driving habits but he countered it with the previous van used identically being troublefree, and if this van couldn't hack it then there was something wrong with it or he was missold it.

Cue a few days of heated exchanges with the garage, another regen, and the DPF pressure sensor changed, and I offered to take the van for a bit and monitor it with my scantool (MaxiECU) which had an excellent van specific module. I cleared a few fault codes and drove it and could clearly see ash accumulation rising over time and no evidence of a regeneration happening, despite my driving being favourable for it. A check on the latest fault codes did show something very interesting: there was a code logged for a P0504 Brake Pedal switch correlation. The garage has dismissed that as irrelevant but I looked further at it. The switch has two circuits: one to work the brake lights and the second to tell the ECU if the brakes were being applied. The latter circuit was showing the brakes on when they weren't even though the brake lights were out. Lifting the pedal with my toe resolved it. The ECU was flagging the fault because the vehicle was being driven but seeing both the brake and accelerator being pressed simultaneously and almost constantly. The brake switch was clearly faulty and ash accumulation was now around 70gms which was in the zone for a regen but climbing. The garage swapped that switch after much hassling, and the car did a regen on the way home. The DPF fault never reoccurred since and the van has been perfect in the 2 years since. Obviously if the ECU thinks a brake pedal is constantly being pressed in those circumstances, doing a regen wouldn't be good.

So my conclusions from this and with DPF issues are:

1. Driving habits are not necessarily to blame. Two identical vehicles used the same with one giving trouble is proof of that.

2. Some AND NOT ALL dealers may not have a full grasp of the technology they are selling and supporting. It's very easy to read a scantool but some techies may not fully understand what is giving rise to what they are seeing and allow themselves to be misguided by it. In essence they can see a headline but don't know the story in full.

3. Indies that do DPF work tend to have a better handle on how these systems work and have proper equipment to test everything. This isn't just scan tools, but pressure sensors and scopes. Even if dealers have these, some of their techies may not be au fait, and some may know it inside out. It depends where you go.

I'll add too that I drive. Renault - a 2010 Clio. I've had it 4 years and it's been fine :D

• Advertisement

That's a really interesting in post, and is a great example of how ridiculously interconnected modern systems are. Could be a plenty of things stopping the regeneration from happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

80-115km/hr for almost an hour doing between 50-70km per journey?
    Hope the guards are monitoring these posts ;-\

My 2014 renault fluence 1.5 dci had been serviced recently by my indie mechanic and he asked me if i got the fluence remapped, he's shocked with the power, but the fluence wasn't, it is still 110hp.

I do about 500km per week commuting and every second early sunday morning i blast the fluence upt to 120-160km/hr for 40mins on the motorway that's about 4-5k rpm and that is not me trolling.

Regards with dealership, I bought mine off windsor galway main renault dealer online, got it delivered at drogheda windsor, and few days after driving, it had engine failure warning, the windsor motormall, said it was fuel pump trouble, timing belt and water pump also had to be replaced. I was under warranty so they took care everything it was a big job so I have to leave the car for 1 day and they even lend me a 2019 renault clio. That's my experience with renault so far. 1.5 dci full tank 1000km range, very economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Buy a Toyota... see my thread about how they dealt with an unfixable engine issue on a 5 year old Rav4....

Spoiler: they replaced the whole powerplant free of charge and were great to deal with..

Picture 1

Pic 2

Cant post vid or other pics as too large but hopefully you can see state car was delivered back to me.
    Bad enough in normal times, but with Covid-19 I didn't expect car to be in this terrible condition.

FrankC21 wrote: »
    early sunday morning i blast the fluence upt to 120-160km/hr for 40mins on the motorway that's about 4-5k rpm and that is not me trolling.

Despite what I said about longer journies being preferable, that sounds completely unnecessary. A normal speed hours drive every so often should have it more than covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Easiest thing to do is take it for a motorway blast just to see if the Dpf regenerates. That would put the story to bed.

Otherwise it's a perpetual cycle of them saying one thing and you the other

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭ratracer

Cant post vid or other pics as too large but hopefully you can see state car was delivered back to me.
    Bad enough in normal times, but with Covid-19 I didn't expect car to be in this terrible condition.

How or why did you accept the car back in that state from them? Not a hope would I have taken it back if it was left in that condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Take it up with the dealer.

Thread reopened after PM discussion, and title and OP updated.

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    Sorry, I might have missed it.
    Did you ask for help or advice in the OP?

Try reading the first line.
    Feedback appreciated usually indicates helpful comments are welcome, sometimes even negative comments can be helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

emails with forums links , instagram, face book and twitter are usually good ways to get a foccussed attention , just saying like .

emails with forums links , instagram, face book and twitter are usually good ways to get a foccussed attention , just saying like .

Are you signing off as Grumpbag or calling me a Grumpbag? 😜😜

If i am being a bit grumpy about this, i think I have every justification in being so.
    Apart from all the warranty work and being out of pocket each time it happens and all the extra km's put up without compensation, to top it all off is the disgusting and disgraceful way the csr was dropped back to me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I do about 500km per week commuting and every second early sunday morning i blast the fluence upt to 120-160km/hr for 40mins on the motorway that's about 4-5k rpm and that is not me trolling.

Why not do 4-5k rpm in a lower gear and avoid the risk of getting caught speeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Are you signing off as Grumpbag or calling me a Grumpbag? 😜😜

If i am being a bit grumpy about this, i think I have every justification in being so.
    Apart from all the warranty work and being out of pocket each time it happens and all the extra km's put up without compensation, to top it all off is the disgusting and disgraceful way the csr was dropped back to me.

Look I know the dealer in question and I'm not surprised being honest. Its not ideal but if you can at all try another main dealer. 1 trip with the car may be more inconvenience but it may resolve the issue and you can bring your business further afield in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Cant post vid or other pics as too large

here download and use this to make pic's smaller (its easy to use)

back to topic: no way would i accept that, seems to me they did it out of spite...did you have a heated argument with them in the past? or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

Why not do 4-5k rpm in a lower gear and avoid the risk of getting caught speeding?

4th or 5th? Lower gear for 40 mins? Ill try it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

4th or 5th? Lower gear for 40 mins? Ill try it.

Try 4th

This was one of the "tricks" the dealership asked me to carry out when the lights came back on shortly after leaving their garage after just getting them to fix it again.

It worked. Then coupe of days later the same lights all on again.

• Advertisement

emails with forums links ,instagram, face book and twitter are usually good ways to get a foccussed attention , just saying like .

I called Renault (un)customer service yesterday. Even though they said they had closed the case because the dealership had offered to clean the car, I still wanted it escalated to a higher level. They agreed and said it would take up to 48-72 working hours to respond

I don't believe it will be a positive response going on past experience and if this is the case I will take it to the next level on social media. I am not on these platforms but I know many people who are and that are equally disgusted at the way I have been treated and the lack of decent customer service.

Advertisement