Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problems with purchase of Koleos

Options
  • 07-04-2021 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I am no car expert so any feedback is appreciated.
    I also understand from reading other posts that many believe the DFP filter should be removed in some cases

Bought a Koleos from new 2.5 years ago and has given nothing but trouble.
    Was bought as a pre-reg from major Renault dealer in Mayo
    Paid a hefty deposit and decided to take the rest on five year repayment plan as warranty and break-down assist were covered for 5 years.

First issue: Get the finance papers which were very illegible and requested a new copy.
    Turns out the interest rate for repayment was now 9.4% instead of the agreed 4.9%.
    Both parties blamed each other for the "error".

Then the anti-pollution filter lights started to come on(many times) with other warning lights. Car was brought to dealer on all occasions and different reason was given every time it was brought in. My style of driving, these cars aren't made for these roads, I must be doing short journeys (I'm not),etc.

The second last time this happened, I was told that a full "factory reset" would be done and that this issue would not arise again. They put up over 700km while testing the car with no offer of compensation. Car only lasted a week without the lights coming on again. This time they decided to put over 1500km up again without any offer of compensation or extending the warranty.

Here is a list of work that Renault have stated was carried out on the car:
    1.07.12.2018 INJECTION COMPUTER
    2. 07.12.2018 UNIT and PLATE, CONNECTION, FUSE
    3. 17.06.2019 UNIT and PLATE, CONNECTION, FUSE
    4. 17.06.2019 UNIT and PLATE, CONNECTION, FUSE
    5. 25.09.2019 INJECTION COMPUTER
    6. 25.09.2019 INJECTION COMPUTER
    7. 05.11.2019 UNIT and PLATE, CONNECTION, FUSE
    8. 05.11.2019 UNIT and PLATE, CONNECTION, FUSE
    9.08.02.2020 UNIT and PLATE, CONNECTION, FUSE
    10. 08.02.2020 LOWER ENGINE, MOVING PARTS, HOUSING, COMPLETE ENGINE
    11. 24.02.2020 Service
    12. 06.03.2020 EGR (EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION)
    13. 07.08.2020 SENSOR, CONTROL UNIT, PROBES
    14. 08.10.2020 INJECTION COMPUTER
    15.17.10.2020 UNIT and PLATE, CONNECTION, FUSE

This conflicts with the information that I was given from the dealer, which Renault had requested from the dealer and I had to ask for multiple times.

Anyway, finally get the car back from dealer the latest time and the car was in a despicable condition.
    Oil or mold on the upholstery (not sure but don't want to attempt to clean incase I make it worse)
    Paper cup from a restaurant left spilt all over the middle console (can't post photos)

TenBeers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭statto25

You mentioned DPF and from the detail you posted, it looks like the DPF isn't regenerating. You mention you do long journeys, how long are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭.42.

I like my Renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Buy an old Toyota if you dont was any messing about . **** this new car ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 28 TenBeers

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Nothing like a good rant

Thanks LIGHTNING really insightful and a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭banie01

TenBeers wrote: »
    Thanks LIGHTNING really insightful and a great help.

Sorry, I might have missed it.
    Did you ask for help or advice in the OP?

• Advertisement

statto25 wrote: »
    You mentioned DPF and from the detail you posted, it looks like the DPF isn't regenerating. You mention you do long journeys, how long are they?

Yes but how many times does this have to keep happening?
    Most journeys are 50km +

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Have you considered taking it to a different Renault dealer?

Have you taken legal advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭kirving

I'm not saying you're to blame, but 50km is a short journey for a diesel. That would be 30-40 minutes on N Roads.

That kind of driving is bad, it's high cumulative mileage, but never actually gives the car a chance to heat up and do a full DPF regen cycle.

People think the granny doing 20km per week is bad for a diesel, but in that case, the regular milage is so short that the DPF never actually gets full, before a long journey this done.

Yes but how many times does this have to keep happening?
    Most journeys are 50km +

If your journeys are consistently 50km then the DPF should be regenerating. If you're mixing it with a lot of short spins then you're gonna have issues. If you're not getting satisfaction from the dealer then try another main dealer or contact Renault Ireland.

Have you considered taking it to a different Renault dealer?

Have you taken legal advice?

Have contacted Renault Ireland who are based in the U.K. and don't seem to give a rats ass.
    I contacted them over a week ago about the condition the car was returned and they are still waiting for a response from the dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

It's not just the distance but the style of driving. regeneration will only happen while as a steady speed, motorway style driving for 30+ minutes.
    If you're not doing that, it's down to you.

However, you should be really angry at the state of the car. Inform them you'll be having is professionally cleaned and the invoice will be sent to them. The have a visit to the show room to discuss why you were miss sold a diesel engines vehicle when it is the wrong type of car for your needs.

My diesel Renaults were faultless.
    Rather than it being a rant can you elaborate? Was it a 1.5 or a 1.6 litre diesel engine?
    The 1.5 litre dCi has a very good reputation.

statto25 wrote: »
    If your journeys are consistently 50km then the DPF should be regenerating. If you're mixing it with a lot of short spins then you're gonna have issues. If you're not getting satisfaction from the dealer then try another main dealer or contact Renault Ireland.

Shortest journey which would be rare would be over 5km

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

After the debacle that was the electric window regulators in mid 2000's meganes, I'd never go near another Renault. The reason is that Renault never bothered providing a proper fix. Some people got free replacements under pressure from Renault, but as it was a design fault, it kept re-occurring so pointless.

Maybe their newer cars are better quality, but no evidence of their customer focus to redeem themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Drive it like you stole it, best way to keep DPF at bay

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

No need to read anymore than the title. Nope, never.

My diesel Renaults were faultless.
    Rather than it being a rant can you elaborate? Was it a 1.5 or a 1.6 litre diesel engine?
    The 1.5 litre dCi has a very good reputation.

I had a Megane before this and never an issue. 1.5dCi
    Koleos is 1.6.

It is just that the customer service is so shockingly bad that I will never buy another Renault.

After the debacle that was the electric window regulators in mid 2000's meganes, I'd never go near another Renault. The reason is that Renault never bothered providing a proper fix. Some people got free replacements under pressure from Renault, but as it was a design fault, it kept re-occurring so pointless.

Maybe their newer cars are better quality, but no evidence of their customer focus to redeem themselves.
    I've had no windows regulator problems on the 3 Renaults I owned in the last decade.

Drive it like you stole it, best way to keep DPF at bay

Believe me, I do. I would not be shy of pressing the accelerator.
    I do almost 800km a week and the car gets a good long runout every time.

I had a Megane before this and never an issue. 1.5dCi
    Koleos is 1.6.

It is just that the customer service is so shockingly bad that I will never buy another Renault.
    My Renault dealer was excellent. Maybe that is where your biggest problem is which was hidden by the reliability of the Megane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

kirving wrote: »
    I'm not saying you're to blame, but 50km is a short journey for a diesel. That would be 30-40 minutes on N Roads.

That kind of driving is bad, it's high cumulative mileage, but never actually gives the car a chance to heat up and do a full DPF regen cycle.

People think the granny doing 20km per week is bad for a diesel, but in that case, the regular milage is so short that the DPF never actually gets full, before a long journey this done.

One of the looniest posts I've seen. 50kms is too short but 20kms a week is fine. Care to elaborate on the science?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,795 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Had numerous Renault's. Never a problem with them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Accidentally

06 Clio some years ago. Random electrical faults that Renault never go to the bottom of. Never, ever again.

CianRyan wrote: »
    It's not just the distance but the style of driving. regeneration will only happen while as a steady speed, motorway style driving for 30+ minutes.
    If you're not doing that, it's down to you.

However, you should be really angry at the state of the car. Inform them you'll be having is professionally cleaned and the invoice will be sent to them. The have a visit to the show room to discuss why you were miss sold a diesel engines vehicle when it is the wrong type of car for your needs.

80-115km/hr for almost an hour doing between 50-70km per journey?
    Hope the guards are monitoring these posts ;-\

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    One of the looniest posts I've seen. 50kms is too short but 20kms a week is fine. Care to elaborate on the science?

No, he has a valid point.
    A high quantity of bad driving habits will definitely be less harmful than a low quantity of bad habits.

800km a week on N road where the car is accelerating and slowing constantly is much worse for the dpf then popping to the shops once a week.
    It is generating more soot and the car is not being driven in the correct manner to regenerate.

The OP needs a petrol, hybrid or electric vehicle. Diesel will not work for him with modern emissions standards.

There is nothing wrong with the advice you were given

Unfortunately not, the ECM will not allow the vehicle to regenerate unless the speed is kept at a constant.
    A motorway run at 100kph on cruise control, car kept in 5th gear would help if there's lot of soot build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭J2CVC

I can assure you that if anyone on this thread had to take their car to be fixed as many times as you have (and had it back with dirty seats) they'd not be best pleased.

There's an issue somewhere. Your driving sounds very normal. I have a ton of neighbours who don't drive their diesels 'correctly' without any issue.

It sounds like piss poor form from Renault but they have form for it.

Unfortunately not, the ECM will not allow the vehicle to regenerate unless the speed is kept at a constant.
    A motorway run at 100kph on cruise control, car kept in 5th gear would help if there's lot of soot build up.

I got from the service manager that 'these cars are not built for our roads'
    So why sell them here then?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I'm a good 1 and half hour drive from a good motorway so by the time i get back home the regeneration lights will be back on 😜

Advertisement