Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance companies that insure a Tesla

Options
  • 15-02-2021 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭

As people start to get ready for the first ever delivery of LRW Tesla's, I just want to list all the insurance companies that I have tried. Some companies don't insure Tesla's at all, so I wouldn't bother entering the details there at all.

The list is accurate for me only (based on 5 years NCB), and is subject to change.

Insure a Tesla
    AA
    123.ie
    Axa
    EVInsurance / Power Insurances

Don't insure a Tesla on their website or don't know
    Zurich - underwriter confirmed they don't insure Tesla
    Aviva - cannot select Tesla as a model on their website
    AIG - cannot select Tesla as a model on their website
    Allianz - cannot select Tesla as a model on their website
    Liberty - will not give a quote over the internet
    FBD - will not give a quote over the internet
    Chill - cannot select Tesla as a model on their website
    Anpost - cannot select Tesla as a model on their website
    25plus / its4women / Boxymo - cannot select Tesla as a model on their website
    Kennco - will not give a quote over the internet

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm with AIG on my Model S, you can get a quote over the phone and they are very competitive (by far cheapest at last quote), as I golf I have their Golfsure group policy

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Sam W

slave1 wrote: »
    I'm with AIG on my Model S, you can get a quote over the phone and they are very competitive (by far cheapest at last quote), as I golf I have their Golfsure group policy

Yeah I guess a lot of them should be able to offer a policy over the phone. I just never bothered (and I hated the fact that some companies would call you repeatedly at random times of the day once you have entered your details online for a quote...)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Sam W wrote: »
    Don't insure a Tesla or don't know
    Aviva - cannot select Tesla as a model on their website
    AIG - cannot select Tesla as a model on their website
    Allianz - cannot select Tesla as a model on their website
    Liberty - will not give a quote over the internet
    FBD - will not give a quote over the internet
    Chill - cannot select Tesla as a model on their website
    Anpost - cannot select Tesla as a model on their website
    25plus / its4women / Boxymo - cannot select Tesla as a model on their website
    Kennco - will not give a quote over the internet

Plenty of those companies insure Teslas.

As always, everyone should check online/call around for a quote & play one insurance quote off against another, to ensure the best deal.
    Check the restrictions too when comparing, like is driving of other cars included, possibly even comprehensively, the bonus/step back protection, the excess amount etc.

Well wear to the upcoming Model 3 owners!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’m with Allianz through Marsh Brokers. (Work scheme)
    €236 on my MSP85.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭zg3409

There is a Tesla owners Ireland Facebook group which you can join if you have a Tesla ordered. They have a shared spreadsheet of everyone's insurance quotes. This would be the best starting point. Naturally the quote will depend on your driving history but it might list someone to call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Liberty refused cover last year when I wanted to transfer my policy from my old car to my new Tesla. However, this year, I renewed with them via EVInsurance.ie. Strange policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm with 123 this year and was with Britton insurance last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

I'd a similar story as the OP trying to move my insurance today. All of the following would not insure a Model S online...

Aviva, Zurich, AA, AIG, FBD, , KennCo, Chill , Allianz, Quote Devil, Liberty, 25plus.ie, its4women.ie

I did get the following quotes tho...

€ 499 -- 123.ie
    € 822 -- Axa
    €1,300 -- Chill.ie via some company starting with X!?

I'm waiting to hear back from EVInsurance.ie

I rang my current insurance company (Aviva) and they told me as "Teslas are faster than a Ferrari Hurricane and will do 0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds, they most likely can't insure me and will call me back in 48 hours".

Not much choice there, but happy enough with the 123.ie quote in the end.

BigAl81 wrote: »
    I'd a similar story as the OP trying to move my insurance today. All of the following would not insure a Model S online...

Aviva, Zurich, AA, AIG, FBD, , KennCo, Chill , Allianz, Quote Devil, Liberty, 25plus.ie, its4women.ie

I did get the following quotes tho...

€ 499 -- 123.ie
    € 822 -- Axa
    €1,300 -- Chill.ie via some company starting with X!?

I'm waiting to hear back from EVInsurance.ie

I rang my current insurance company (Aviva) and they told me as "Teslas are faster than a Ferrari Hurricane and will do 0 to 60 in 1.9 seconds, they most likely can't insure me and will call me back in 48 hours".

Not much choice there, but happy enough with the 123.ie quote in the end.

I ended up staying with my previous insurer Zurich. They have an official 'no Tesla' policy, but nothing beats a complaint letter. They assigned a complaint manager to my case and dealt with the underwriter to give me a non-standard policy (which ended up even cheaper than 123.ie, with full NCB protection).

123.ie is always the last resort for me. I'd definitely try to avoid it just in case anything happens... There were too many horrible stories dealing with them on the internet. I had to make a third-party claim with them a few years ago when a reckless driver crashed into my car. I must have made 100 calls to get the case registered, investigated, chased and got paid...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

They have an official 'no Tesla' policy, but nothing beats a complaint letter.

These so called no policy policies go against the principles of the Declined Cases Agreement I would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Was it worth the hassle of pressing zurich, is it a normal policy, like not watered down?

😎

It was not watered down by any means. The first year when I switched was quite expensive but then from the second year it was much cheaper than others. I stayed with them for another 3 years until earlier this year when I switched to AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭kirving

I was onto Zurich recently, about whether my "Driving other cars (3rd Party)" would apply to my brother's Leaf, as there is a CC limit for ICE cars, but no power limit.

Don't take my word for it if you're borrowing someone's Tesla on your Zurich policy, but the guy on the phone put me on hold for a few minutes, came back, and said there was no power limit for EV's.

Advertisement