Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

drive way boundary wall

Options
  • 06-04-2021 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

tmp.png

Excuse the crude image, ill get a proper pic asap

Our driveway opens right out on to a regional road there are no boundary walls in front of the house/driveway but there are curving 2.5m boundary walls separating our garden from the footpath.

The house is very old and so nothing around it is very square and the road itself is curved.

Our driveway has been tar'd (20 years ago plus) out to meet the tar of the actual road.

Would it be safe to assume if we build a boundary wall in front of our house we can step down to 1.2m from the old 2.5m and follow the same curve and keep the same distance from the edge of the road

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

You'll need planning permission. Don't just built the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭booooonzo

Thanks landcrzr, Why is that, I thought you could build up to 1.2m wall on your front boundary without planning

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Would like some more info OP.
    Structures to the front are exempt to 1.2m, this includes boundary walls.
    Mare you altering the vehicle entrance in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭landcrzr

booooonzo wrote: »
    Thanks landcrzr, Why is that, I thought you could build up to 1.2m wall on your front boundary without planning

Generally I'd agree with you but there's a footpath along your garden already suggesting an urban environment? I may have taken up your op incorrectly but did you say the existing path was 1.2m wide? If so, this is less than desirable so extending it on the same basis may be an issue for the council.
    You can always try submitting an exemption form first. Either way, don't just chance it.

What happens where the red arrow is?
    Does the footpath just turn into your driveway and people carry on walking? Or is your house the end of the footpath and it terminates there?

road.jpg

• Advertisement

What happens where the red arrow is?
    Does the footpath just turn into your driveway and people carry on walking? Or is your house the end of the footpath and it terminates there?

People would just carry on walking as it is.

Ill upload some pics now that should clarify.

the footpath is 1.2m wide

the current wall is approx 2.5 high

the proposed wall would be 1.2m or else i guess we submit for planning

There is currently just a totally open driveway

I guess the worry is if we go for planning we are told to set back from the road and lose a chunk of parking which we can't really afford too space wise but on the other hand we would like to make more privacy and more of an established boundary

IMG-0587.jpg

IMG-0589.jpg

Anyone any further insights in to this?
    Its a tricky one, will prob have to approach the council to see

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

booooonzo wrote: »
    Anyone any further insights in to this?
    Its a tricky one, will prob have to approach the council to see

Big great are with regards to liability of that path.
    I personally think you are fine to proceed with a 1.2m on the inside of your boundary leaving the tar path alone but I’d be worried now a days with the claims culture so for that reason I’d invite the council roads engineer for the area out and tell him/her your plans.

They may redo the path in conjunction with you doing the wall.

Advertisement