Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PRUSA

Options
  • 02-04-2021 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

What do ye make of Prusa printers? Over priced? The reviews seem very good but obviously they are not as cheap as the creatly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

What do ye make of Prusa printers? Over priced? The reviews seem very good but obviously they are not as cheap as the creatly

I'd love one, but I can't justify it, when I can build one as good for less.
    They are fantastic machines though and there's a wealth of information available too. In having said that though, the creality printers are rock solid little work horses.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

They do seem to be incredibly reliable. I couldn't justify the cost of one to myself, but I know people who have and have no regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Kewl. Just ordered a Prusa mini. Hopefully it won't let me down, will psot pics when it arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

What was the lead time on the mini?

12 weeks for kit version 4 for non kit

https://help.prusa3d.com/en/article/shipping-information_2297

Might try to change mine to non-kit. Don't really feel like waiting till July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

The Prusa Mini has been frankly well worth it compared to the hassle the Ender 5 pro has given us over the past several months.

The auto bed levelling, nice touches with it and support just make it feel like a quality product. We use it for the higher quality prints now compared to the Ender 5 Pro which is more of a workhorse and for less elegant simpler builds.

The lack of auto bed levelling with the Ender has been a huge timesink and it still causes problems even with a bltouch. It could be that the bed is a bit warped but its only about 7 months old so thats been disappointing.

I kept checking the order status on the Prusa with all the heartache from the Ender. It turned up unexpectedly about 2 weeks earlier than predicted. Pre assembled not the kit version.

If its your first printer then Prusa all the way. We did it backwards but its been interesting to learn from all the problems the Ender has caused us.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mr potato head

Hi all, only just noticed the forum
    I'm running a Prusa Mk3 for the last 2-3 year and it's been bulletproof. There are times like this time of the semester where it's running 24-7 and no major issues that I can think of. I've upgraded to Mk3s and that's the only modifications, I also have a MMU which I only really use for switching rolls then one runs out.

The PEI sheet is starting to have a few adhesion issues, but it's the original sheet so not surprised. Besides a few nozzle changes, it's needed nothing to date.
    Plan to do a full service and PEI replacement once the semester is done, but that's just preventative maintenance.

My view is if you are looking to run a printer fairly hard for work and/or hobby, then the cost is worth it. If you are looking for something to just enjoy printing some parts and tinkering with upgrades then it's hard to justify.

Haven't tried the Mini yet, but we have a couple ordered for a workshop in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

I've had a Prusa i3 MK3 (kit) for close to three years now, upgraded to MK3S + MMU2S in the meantime. It's a costly beast alright, but great value for money nevertheless. It definitely lives up to all the good reviews (but do read on :))

The MMU2 is a spoiled princess, but I was always able to recover a print that got stuck during one of its many random fits. Would I buy it again? No. I thought I'll get more use out of it.

So far I've printed PLA, PETG, Nylon 6, PC blend, ASA and - pre-MMU2 - TPU down to 80A.

Filaments is actually what I like most about Prusa. Superb quality, and worth the extra expense, and they're my go-to for anything that requires good dimensional stability.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mr potato head

_ptashek_ wrote: »
    The MMU2 is a spoiled princess, but I was always able to recover a print that got stuck during one of its many random fits. Would I buy it again? No. I thought I'll get more use out of it.
    :D good description of it.
    _ptashek_ wrote: »
    Filaments is actually what I like most about Prusa. Superb quality, and worth the extra expense, and they're my go-to for anything that requires good dimensional stability.

Agreed, the Prusament PETG and PLA are great filaments. I've used the PETG a lot in the last few months for small functional components.
    The Prusa Slicer profiles are nicely dialed in for them and the Mk3

It finally arrived ! spent most of today putting it together but it's printing the 2nd half of a raspberry pi case for me now. Will throw up a few pics

• Advertisement

556292.jpg
    Here she is. Have been doing loads of printing the past few days. Only thing I'm sorry about is that I didn't buy one sooner

Advertisement