Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking at changing to an Audi A3

• 27-03-2021 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Looking to change once lockdown is over back to a saloon car and looking at an Audi A3 or A4. Preference is A3. Does anyone have 1st hand experience of the 1.5TFSI 150HP SE Saloon (Petrol) model vs 1.6TDI SE (Diesel) Model. Both are A3 saloons. I will probably do 12,000 km in the year. Any advice or thoughts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

Looking to change once lockdown is over back to a saloon car and looking at an Audi A3 or A4. Preference is A3. Does anyone have 1st hand experience of the 1.5TFSI 150HP SE Saloon (Petrol) model vs 1.6TDI SE (Diesel) Model. Both are A3 saloons. I will probably do 12,000 km in the year. Any advice or thoughts

Mileage indicates petrol is the one to go for.
    A3 saloon is a nice looking car in my opinion.
    I'd an 04 A3 for 8 years, bought it when when it was already 8 years old. Great little car.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

A3 saloon in S Line is the nicest looking saloon car in Audis range in my opinion, and I'm an A6 owner. Such a tidy looking design. Not up to the standards of the more expensive Audis interior but that's to be expected, still nice though.
    Tight enough inside an A3, you will have much more space in the A4 but depends whether that's important to you or not.
    I'd go for the petrol model myself in your position, will still be reasonably economical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭HBC08

Coindentially i test drove two of them yesterday (not for me i am organising a car for a family member)
    Never had been in one previously.
    They are tidy,smaller than the A4 obviously but i preferred it (ive driven lots if A4s before)
    Both were the 2.0l diesel S model so nor exactly what you were asking.
    I thought the interior was a bit basic but overall a nice solid car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,060 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is the OP looking at the old model or new model A3?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

bazz26 wrote: »
    Is the OP looking at the old model or new model A3?

Old model I’d say if they’re talking about 1.6 TDI.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭User1998

1.5 TFSI would be the obvious choice for me

Oh! I was certain they had dropped the 1.6 for a detuned 2.0
    There seems to have been 2 1.6s registered this year alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bladerunnerx

User1998 wrote: »
    1.5 TFSI would be the obvious choice for me
    Unfortunately not letting me post the urls to the 2 cars

Both are 2018. Would the petrol car be reasonably economical.

Even if say the petrol was doing 40mpg and the diesel 50mpg, and the diesel was 10c a litre cheaper, you’d only save €500 a year max, so €10 a week.

Offset that with the increased chance of mileage related issues, assuming your low annual mileage isn’t just made up of a very small number of long journeys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

They are very small inside, I had one as a loan Car recently and I struggled to get in and out but I'm tall so definitely not for me plus avoid the SE they are awful things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Oh! I was certain they had dropped the 1.6 for a detuned 2.0
    There seems to have been 2 1.6s registered this year alright.

In the Octavia detuned 2 litre, persisting with the 1.6 in Audi and Seat I believe

Even if say the petrol was doing 40mpg and the diesel 50mpg, and the diesel was 10c a litre cheaper, you’d only save €500 a year max, so €10 a week.

Offset that with the increased chance of mileage related issues, assuming your low annual mileage isn’t just made up of a very small number of long journeys.

And the 1.5 petrol is quieter, more refined, more powerful, and as you say more reliable so it would definitely be worth the extra few quid in tax/fuel

I think they’d be around the same reliability wise

kermitpwee wrote: »
    In the Octavia detuned 2 litre, persisting with the 1.6 in Audi and Seat I believe

They registered 2 1.6 and like 110 2.0 diesel A3 up to end Feb. I would say it wasn’t a voluntary upgrade :)

The Leon and A3 are 2.0 115ps standard now on the configurators.

Id imagine the 1.6 engine has been phased out altogether.
    User1998 wrote: »
    And the 1.5 petrol is quieter, more refined, more powerful, and as you say more reliable so it would definitely be worth the extra few quid in tax/fuel

I think they’d be around the same reliability wise

I would say reliability would be the same on ideal conditions.

I would say reliability would be the same on ideal conditions.

Yeah and if you add lots of stop/start journeys into the mix I’m sure the petrol would come out on top

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PetitPois89

I’ve driven a 1.6 TDI A3 for 4 years now and I love it. Very nice car to drive. Never had one issue with it. Comfortable and spacious interior and boot. I’d say I spend approx €120 on diesel a month and I drive a lot for work. Definitely worth considering

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bladerunnerx

Unfortunately the petrol car ended up being 2000 dearer due to scrappage being included in price. I thought it was sharp practice so walked away. The car was 24900 for 2018 with 66,000 km. I came across a 2019 Renault Megane from main dealer with only 9,000 km for 17200. Are these as reliable as an Audi A3 to those mechanics here.

https://www.carsireland.ie/2616734

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I dont want to hijacy your thread OP but in a similar situation myself. Looking at a 2016 A3 with lowish km's. I drive a focus at the minute and have 3 kids still at home, youngest is 10, no 6 footers. We all fit fairly snugly into the focus, just wondering what an A3 would be like in the rear.

Also, is there a magic number of kms where a diesel becomes the best option over petrol? I have heard a range of figures over the past few weeks, depending on the type of car they are trying to sell me.

A3 hatch is tiny inside compared to a Focus. Saloon is basically Jetta size

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I dont want to hijacy your thread OP but in a similar situation myself. Looking at a 2016 A3 with lowish km's. I drive a focus at the minute and have 3 kids still at home, youngest is 10, no 6 footers. We all fit fairly snugly into the focus, just wondering what an A3 would be like in the rear.

Also, is there a magic number of kms where a diesel becomes the best option over petrol? I have heard a range of figures over the past few weeks, depending on the type of car they are trying to sell me.

The saloon/sedan body shape is in my opinion the perfect single person's car. Impractical for anyone else though especially when you're in the Focus/Golf size bracket. Much better off getting a hatch or an estate. Yes, I know there's no A3 wagon.

• Advertisement

Sounds like an A4 might be more suitable for me.

There is a beautiful 2.0 TDI automatic for a few grand more. Would an automatic cost much more on diesel or is that an issue for older cars?

If it's the newer model A4 then it will have a S-Tronic (DSG) gearbox which are very nice to drive and really suit the diesel engine very well. I'd say any difference in mpg would be miniscule., if anything the S-Tronic might be marginally more fuel efficient over the manual. Automatics have come along way since the old days, however some versions of the S-Tronic or DSG gearboxes require servicing (transmission oil change) at set mileage intervals so something to be aware of. If it's the older model A4 then it will most likely have a multitronic CVT gearbox which don't have a great reputation for reliability and I'd probably go with a manual over one of them.

If it's the newer model A4 then it will have a S-Tronic (DSG) gearbox which are very nice to drive and really suit the diesel engine very well. I'd say any difference in mpg would be miniscule., if anything the S-Tronic might be marginally more fuel efficient over the manual. Automatics have come along way since the old days, however some versions of the S-Tronic or DSG gearboxes require servicing (transmission oil change) at set mileage intervals so something to be aware of. If it's the older model A4 then it will most likely have a multitronic CVT gearbox which don't have a great reputation for reliability and I'd probably go with a manual over one of them.

How do I tell which it is? It is a January 2017 registered vehicle. The descpription is 2.0 tdi 150 PS S Tronic. Does that help?

S-Tronic means it’s DSG.
    I think all the newer model 2015 onwards were S-tropic either way.

How do I tell which it is? It is a January 2017 registered vehicle. The descpription is 2.0 tdi 150 PS S Tronic. Does that help?

The newer model has a floating infotainment screen stuck on top of the centre console. The older model had a smaller screen built into the centre of centre console. A 2017 is most likely the newer model.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Unfortunately the petrol car ended up being 2000 dearer due to scrappage being included in price. I thought it was sharp practice so walked away. The car was 24900 for 2018 with 66,000 km. I came across a 2019 Renault Megane from main dealer with only 9,000 km for 17200. Are these as reliable as an Audi A3 to those mechanics here.

https://www.carsireland.ie/2616734

Is it the Megane Grand Coupe? Renault cars are probably more reliable than Audi these days and better built too.
    That is great value as well if it is decently spaced.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Looking for a bit more advice from those more in the know than me. I have 3 options:

1. 2016 2.0 TDI S Line, 52,000kms €22,900
    2. 2017 1.6TDI 110 SE, 65,000kms €21,900
    3. 2018 1.6 TDI 116 SE, 46,895kms €24,800

All relatively close in price, 2K between 2016 and 2018.

I love the look of the S Line but to be honest I cant really tell the difference between them all. The 2016 does not have smartphone interface with the display which I would have liked for google maps. Other than that they are pretty similar spec, a few bits and pieces here and there.

Me personally I don’t like non S Line Audis and a lot of people would be the same

2.0 tdi is much smoother than the 1.6 tdi and more powerful. Fuel efficiency is similar enough

S Line is more desirable and should hold its value better

Any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭finalfurlong

Looking for a bit more advice from those more in the know than me. I have 3 options:

1. 2016 2.0 TDI S Line, 52,000kms €22,900
    2. 2017 1.6TDI 110 SE, 65,000kms €21,900
    3. 2018 1.6 TDI 116 SE, 46,895kms €24,800

All relatively close in price, 2K between 2016 and 2018.

I love the look of the S Line but to be honest I cant really tell the difference between them all. The 2016 does not have smartphone interface with the display which I would have liked for google maps. Other than that they are pretty similar spec, a few bits and pieces here and there.
    The S line has the sports suspension which can be really firm and was one of the reasons i went for an SE.You can set the suspension levels from 4 levels in the SE but the S line has the Sports one as standard and I felt on Test drive that you felt every bump and hollow in it.

• Advertisement

I would have thought nearly 23k for a 5 year old A3 is crazy money irrespective of whether it's 2.0 or is a S-Line.

Advertisement