Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf Trips

Options
  • 06-04-2021 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭

What golf trips have people in their minds for whenever you can go again? I see Scotland and Royal Birkdale have their own threads, but everyone here must be dreaming of getting somewhere away from it all and playing a nice course or two.

Not exactly a golf trip, but I'm thinking later in the year of booking a cottage in Donegal / Sligo with the wife and kid. And suggesting to her family that they could book somewhere nearby and have a bit of a joint holiday. Which would mean I'd have two golfing buddies and wouldn't be leaving the wife alone with the baby! I don't have a massive preference with regard to which county or courses I play, they're all so good. Although if I was in Donegal again I might try to play Narin and Portnoo again, because it was just that good. And possibly Cruit Island too. The non golfers could hit a beach and we could squeeze in 9 spectacular holes.

And my mate is turning 40, so I'm thinking a nearby overnighter could be great. A round of golf, dinner and pints, sleep, another round of golf and home. We haven't picked where though. Within an hour and a half of North County Dublin would give loads of options. I'm leaning towards staying in Tullamore and playing Esker Hills and New Forest. Two great courses that I used to love playing. I'd feel bad about skipping Tullamore. It's arguably the best of the three.

I'd also love to try Concra Wood. Is there any other good course near it? And where would be good to stay if you played there?

And then of course there's headford and Kileen castle. I hear they're terrific courses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

we did the Donegal links classic last year
    Portsalon was a superb opener
    Rasapenna Sandy Hills is up there as one of the best I've ever played
    Ballyliffen old course was a bit disappointing as we thought we were playing the Glasheady, but it was still a fantastic links course.

Concra Wood was great when I played it but it was so long ago now I've forgotten most of it, but it was a superb setting and some great holes around the lake.
    Killeen Castle is a belter, it's a long tough course if you are off the back sticks, still a long way around off the front tee's but a lot more managable. It is quite open though so on a windy day it can be brutal. Well worth playing if you get the chance. Best showers in Ireland also :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭blue note

If I push kileen castle for having the best showers in Ireland I'm pretty sure I'll be at down and told it's not that type of trip!

I played portsalon last year. Fantastic course. The second is spectacular, although some guidance on the tee shot regarding what line to take would have been nice. If I'd known what line to take it I carry it about 220m I'd have aimed a long way left of where I did. And on top of that I sliced it. I'm pretty sure I was actually on the 17th fairway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

blue note wrote: »
    If I push kileen castle for having the best showers in Ireland I'm pretty sure I'll be at down and told it's not that type of trip!

I played portsalon last year. Fantastic course. The second is spectacular, although some guidance on the tee shot regarding what line to take would have been nice. If I'd known what line to take it I carry it about 220m I'd have aimed a long way left of where I did. And on top of that I sliced it. I'm pretty sure I was actually on the 17th fairway.

Yes few dog legs there which are always difficult to play the first time and take a while to figure out your own route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I had Kerry booked for the last week of May as I couldn't go last year and now it's the same again so had to cancel it.
    Had tralee and both killarney courses lined up aswell.

If you make the trip for Concra make sure its been dry for a while, its a fantastic course that unfortunately gets very wet in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I had Kerry booked for the last week of May as I couldn't go last year and now it's the same again so had to cancel it.
    Had tralee and both killarney courses lined up aswell.

If you make the trip for Concra make sure its been dry for a while, its a fantastic course that unfortunately gets very wet in places.

Is that through the hotel on the ballybunnion course, I am bookded in form may but the provisionally booked us into July when it looked like wouldn't be allowed down there in May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

It was the Killarney Court hotel we had booked, free cancelation until 3 days before etc.

Advertisement