Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

ESB power outage during charging

Options
  • 04-04-2021 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭

Has anyone experienced a power outage while charging their car at home?

Power went in our area for about 3 hours on Friday night, I wasn't charging the car but wonder what would/could have happened other then the session stopping if it was plugged in.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

cannco253 wrote: »
    Has anyone experienced a power outage while charging their car at home?

Power went in our area for about 3 hours on Friday night, I wasn't charging the car but wonder what would/could have happened other then the session stopping if it was plugged in.

Nothing. Car would of stopped charging is all

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

^ This. From the cars perspective it was unplugged from the EVSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Sometimes my charger trips out and the car (Ioniq 28) stops charging, just as if a power cut had happened.

Normally this happens at night, because I charge at night, to make use of night rate electricity.

Occasionally I’ve woken up in the night and looked out expecting to see the dashboard lights flashing on the car, indicating charging in progress.

Once or twice when I didn’t see the expected activity, I just went to the trip switch and flipped it back on. As long as it’s still during the off-peak time I’ve set up in the car’s settings, the charging will just resume, without further ado.

Likewise if we’re back in peak-rate hours and I reset the charger, the car will behave as it does when plugged in during peak hours, i.e. flash the middle light to indicate that it’s set up for scheduled off-peak charging.

Advertisement