Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The direct-to-video - "Geezer Teaser" phenomenon

Options
  • 03-04-2021 11:46am

Interesting long article which explains the seemingly hugely prolific output of action movie stars like Bruce Willis (in particular), Stallone, Gibson, Seagal and Nicolas Cage over the last few years where they are in multiple movies every year but this is due to b-movie production cycles with very short shoot times.
    In some cases (again particularly with Willis) the actors are actually only on-screen for 10 minutes or so

hence - "the geezer teaser"

https://www.vulture.com/article/randall-emmett-movies.html?utm_source=pocket-newtab

I've seen a lot of this movies pop up - particularly with Willis who seems to have been in over 20 movies from this production company over the last number of recent years.

https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?companies=co0017712&sort=release_date,desc

Think that I did watch a bit of one of the Willis ones for 10 or 15 minutes but it was so awful that I turned it off.

Some funny info also on how batsh1t crazy Seagal is!

The Willis ones really seem to be all truly awful - a terrible trend in movies really.

The "stars" take the easy money for minimum shooting days and screen time - can see how it works.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sounds like that film starring Schwarzenegger and Jackie Chan, The Iron Mask. Think Arnie's only in it for a short amount of time. Not sure about Jackie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Samuel L. Jackson getting top billing in Menace ii Society despite being in only one scene. Segal's character being killed off early in Executive Decision.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,566 ✭✭✭SteM

Samuel L. Jackson getting top billing in Menace ii Society despite being in only one scene.

Thats a different situation though. Pulp Fiction was released 1994, a year after Menace so it was just a way of promoting that movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Segal's character being killed off early in Executive Decision.
    I think that's different too, in that it was a relatively high-budget movie. Segal dying is more of a subversion of expectations than a cost-cutting measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,343 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Michael Dudikoff needs to come out of retirement and start making some of these and reboot American Ninja.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Maybe not the same as mentioned above but some of Adam Sandler's film cost an awful lot to make.

Jack and Jill, Grown Ups, and Grown Ups 2 all cost around 80m each!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,343 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wouldn't put Sandler as part of this myself he is still a major box office draw he has just moved from cinema releases to Netflix releases and he is still a major draw.

Advertisement