Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Charging a Kia PHEV at work.

Options
  • 02-04-2021 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭

So, I’ve a Sorento PHEV on the way and I’ve just been looking at the manual. The car is advertised as having 70ish km of electric range, so I’m guessing 40 if I’m lucky. That’ll get me to work, but not back.

There’s no problem charging in work using a three pin, but now I’ve just been looking at the Kia website. It’s doesn’t seem very keen on “trickle charging” and says to not use the cable with an extension cord, which is something in my ignorance didn’t occur to me.

So, is charging from the 3 pin detrimental to the battery and what’s the longest cable I can get?

Comments

So, I’ve a Sorento PHEV on the way and I’ve just been looking at the manual. The car is advertised as having 70ish km of electric range, so I’m guessing 40 if I’m lucky. That’ll get me to work, but not back.

There’s no problem charging in work using a three pin, but now I’ve just been looking at the Kia website. It’s doesn’t seem very keen on “trickle charging” and says to not use the cable with an extension cord, which is something in my ignorance didn’t occur to me.

So, is charging from the 3 pin detrimental to the battery and what’s the longest cable I can get?

All that's so you don't melt something, extension cord is perfectly acceptable "if" and only if it's rated for the current and "only" when fully extended to prevent heat build up.

So no problem.

Good luck with the new car, any pics ?

Hope you don't have to go through the insane madness I did to get use of work chargers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

All that's so you don't melt something, extension cord is perfectly acceptable "if" and only if it's rated for the current and "only" when fully extended to prevent heat build up.

So no problem.

Good luck with the new car, any pics ?

Hope you don't have to go through the insane madness I did to get use of work chargers.....

Two weeks away yet. Melt the car, or work? Is there car specific extension cords? I know someone who was charging their e-golf in the warehouse (off the forklift charger I'm guessing), but there must have been complaints because they've not done it in a while, can't see any issue with using the standard plugs nearby (not used, not a trip hazard etc )

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Two weeks away yet. Melt the car, or work? Is there car specific extension cords? I know someone who was charging their e-golf in the warehouse (off the forklift charger I'm guessing), but there must have been complaints because they've not done it in a while, can't see any issue with using the standard plugs nearby (not used, not a trip hazard etc )

Pulling 10amp+ through a cable over a long period of time will generate significant heat on the cable.
    A wind up extension cable will have no way to disipate heat if wound up. Make sure the extension lead is 13amp rated, and if the car is using it, nothing else with high load should use it (like don't plug 2 cars into the end of 1 extension lead, or even into the same 2 gang socket).

Tldr: 13amp extension lead. Unravel it entirely. 1 car per extension lead

I meant melt the wiring of the extension lead, if wound up it will heat up and could possibly melt and short out, this will result in blowing a fuse, tripping breaker or worse, fire if something flammable is near.

So once unwound and rated for the current you shouldn't have any issues if the rest of the house wiring is good and only plug the car into the socket of the house nothing else in that socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

FYI you can adjust the Kia granny charger down to 8A or 6A if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,361 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I have used a granny cable extensively without issue. I did 60k km in a year in my leaf24 solely charging at home on granny cable every night (and 7kW AC at work).

I also still use it with my current EV , including with an extension cable and I never bothered with having the cable unwound fully. I'd say ignore the scepticism and charge away.

If you wanted you could turn down the current but really theres no need

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Will you need to connect the Granny cable to an extension cord?
    How far away is the 3 pin socket from where you park at work?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭zg3409

Proper granny cables have temperature sensor in plug, so if you plug it into a worn wall socket it will notice the pins of the plug getting hot and stop charging. If you use an extension lead you won't have that safety protection.

Also most extension leads are not designed or rated for constant high power. They often get warn to the touch and they don't have the thickest wires.

Also if the extension lead is used outdoors, then the extension lead needs a waterprrof socket or plug will get wet when it rains.

Finally you need to make sure charging has stopped before unplugging house end, as unplugging while at high power creates sparks and extreme wear.

Best to plug in car end last to start, unplug car end first to end charge.

Always fully unreel extension lead or they WILL catch fire. I normally recommend checking how warm plug us after say 30 minutes and try not to granny charge when asleep in a house.

Advertisement