Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 to Dublin Airport?

Options
  • 02-04-2021 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi All,

The wife is going to be starting a new job out in one of the business campuses at Dublin Airport in the next while and was thinking of cycling from Dublin 15 to work every day. What I am wondering is does anybody actually do this sort of route and is it feasible? She currently cycles to work in the city centre, a trip of about 11km which takes between 30-35 mins depending on conditions. Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Probably depends where exactly in D15 and where exactly around Dublin airport. A lot of the roads around the back of the airport (for want of a better description) have fast moving traffic, no cycle lanes or hard shoulders and are not lit. I worked between Santry and the airport for years and always approached from Santry direction without any issues.
    Probably best to avoid all the big logistics parks around that area of the city as well (Ballycoolin, North West business park ect)
    She may be better trying to go via Finglas, Ballymun, Santry, Airport rather than straight across via Kilshane ect..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you can cut out kilshane, but it involves using an unlit back road; there's a road which goes from just south of the brock inn, to newtown cottages near the western end of the main runway.

this could be one option? it also involves cycling down the side of the runway which is OK in daylight, but i wouldn't fancy it in the dark.

549007.png

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Confusedcom

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Probably depends where exactly in D15 and where exactly around Dublin airport. A lot of the roads around the back of the airport (for want of a better description) have fast moving traffic, no cycle lanes or hard shoulders and are not lit. I worked between Santry and the airport for years and always approached from Santry direction without any issues.
    Probably best to avoid all the big logistics parks around that area of the city as well (Ballycoolin, North West business park ect)
    She may be better trying to go via Finglas, Ballymun, Santry, Airport rather than straight across via Kilshane ect..

Thanks for that, it's one of the new office complexes near the terminals as far as I know, I think the route that comes up on maps is from where we live in Carpenterstown down through the Phoenix Park, out at Ashtown, across to finglas, Collins avenue, swords road, Corballis etc, says about an hour cycling, it thing is I am worried about cycling at the times she will be as it is not normal office hours with early starts and late finishes

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭9Crimes

Did it from North Circular Gate to airport for a year. North Circular to Phibsborough, past the mater and then left through Drumcondra and Santry was the safest at any time of day. There are other ways but if I was sending my better half to the airport on a bike that’s how I would tell her to go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wonder would phibsborough to collins avenue (up the ballymun road), switching to the swords road via collins avenue) also work? would avoid dorset street.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'd go canal to phibsboro. Up ballymun road. Santry avenue and into Northwood and on from there
    Now there is an airport logistic park too that is basically at kilshane cross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Haven't done it in a while but I wouldn't fancy the canal late. Tbh via the Park is faster and simpler anyway. If you are heading in that direction from Carpenterstown. Never cycled to airport can't help with the rest of that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I work in the building One next to you. Up to Covid I was cycling daily from. Killiney, so not sure exactly your route. But I come up Colins avenue and past the Omnicentre. There’s good cycling lanes along there and the airport is great coming from that direction.
    I believe you are getting the bike shelter besides ours and you’ll be glad to hear that it’s really secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 AudaxEire

ted1 wrote: »
    I work in the building One next to you. Up to Covid I was cycling daily from. Killiney, so not sure exactly your route. But I come up Colins avenue and past the Omnicentre. There’s good cycling lanes along there and the airport is great coming from that direction.
    I believe you are getting the bike shelter besides ours and you’ll be glad to hear that it’s really secure.

Hi,
    Please could you describe where the bike shelter is - planning to cycle there Fri a.m.
    Thanks!

Advertisement