Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BANDSCAN THREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Mr. MooYagi

Anything happening out there fellas?

Heard a carrier earlier today in Dublin City on 107.8 not very strong as I drove around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sunset11

Anyone noticed the bad sound quality from beat 102

Awful bad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭galtee boy

JDxtra wrote: »
    I wonder how come 88.1 was allocated for Dublin instead of 105.2 (or even 94.3).

Maybe frequency allocated depends on source of the transmission. I wonder if Easy are using the transmission facilities of a provider.

88.1 would normally be used by Christmas FM to north Kildare.

In high pressure weather, particularly during the summer, BBC Radio 2 comes in well from Cornwall into Cork County on 88.1fm, I presume it wouldn't go far enough north to interfere with Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

galtee boy wrote: »
    In high pressure weather, particularly during the summer, BBC Radio 2 comes in well from Cornwall into Cork County on 88.1fm, I presume it wouldn't go far enough north to interfere with Dublin.

It comes in quite strong in Wicklow on 88.1 and i believe hammered Pirate FM on 88.1 last year for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Pirate Fm

It comes in quite strong in Wicklow on 88.1 and i believe hammered Pirate FM on 88.1 last year for a couple of days.

Correct Max , BBC 2 did hammer us on more than one occasion on 88.1 , Just about everyone that’s been on 88.1 has felt the Wrath of the lift of BBC over the years. The radio 2 Tx is 250/60 kilowatts from what I can remember, I did look it up before and that’s the figure that sticks out in my head. We had a great signal but on the very sunny days it just couldn’t hack the lift

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The 88.1 in Cork County is from North Hessary Tor in Devon. 160kW. Doesn’t really show up in the city due to the Crosshaven TX on 88.2. The city usually gets Blaenplwyf on 88.7 (250k but nulled to the west) or 89.3 Haverfordwest if sufficient shielding from 89.2.

The 88.1 that wreaks havoc around Dublin is from Sandale in Cumbria. That TX is 250kW so has quite a lot of bite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Easy Radio on 88.1 this morning in Dublin, best of luck guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭KildareP

Sunset11 wrote: »
    Anyone noticed the bad sound quality from beat 102

Awful bad

Yes, 102.0 at least sounds like it's on some sort of low bitrate backup audio link for the last few weeks. Can't pick up any of their other frequencies to compare against.

Not too long ago 102.0 sounded like there was double pre-emphasis happening, no bass and far too much high end. It went on like that for well over a year before it was eventually fixed.

There mustn't be anyone monitoring their actual FM output. Surprising, especially since their 102.0 Mount Leinster transmitter covers a wide part of their franchise area (although it is out of range of their Waterford studios).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Easy Radio on 88.1 this morning in Dublin, best of luck guys.

The schedule. Great to see that Paul is calling in some of his own talent but woah Bernard Evans, what a legend :)

http://easyradio.ie/?page_id=182

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

The schedule. Great to see that Paul is calling in some of his own talent but woah Bernard Evans, what a legend :)

http://easyradio.ie/?page_id=182

Saturday
    12-2 Mike Doyle
    2-4 Brian Walsh
    4-6 Paul Ormonde
    6-9 Bernard Evens
    9-12 Paul Wilson

Sunday
    11-1 Paul Duffy
    1-3 Chris Adams
    3-6 Shireen Langan
    6-8 Simon Davis
    8-10 Paul Wilson

Mike Doyle is the operator of the mainly Sunday oldies pirate Retro FM, but has been involved in the pirate scene for decades. In between during the '00s, he was on temporary licensed Premier FM and Choice FM.

Bernard Evans was with the pirate scene during the '80s and the early '90s, finishing with Radio Dublin. He may well have crossed paths with Paul Wilson when he was with Radio Dublin.

Chris Adams also goes to that period in Radio Dublin. Along with Joe Doyle (who knows, he might turn up yet), Chris was involved with temporary licensed runs for IMR (Irish Music Radio) / CIMR (Country and Irish Music Radio)/ Hot Country and Heartbeat FM. Paul Wilson also turned up on some of those temporary license runs.

Paul Duffy was with '90s and '00s pirate Freedom FM. He was also one of the operators of The 90s Network when it had temporary license runs. Paul has also done work with FM104.

Is that the same Brian Walsh that started in Galway pirates and is now involved with Music One Ireland, and has turned up on Classic Hits? Maybe it's a different Brian Walsh.

What about Paul Ormonde, Shireen Langan and Simon Davis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Nice signal and audio.

xGrnFzk.png

Saturday
    12-2 Mike Doyle
    2-4 Brian Walsh
    4-6 Paul Ormonde
    6-9 Bernard Evens
    9-12 Paul Wilson

Sunday
    11-1 Paul Duffy
    1-3 Chris Adams
    3-6 Shireen Langan
    6-8 Simon Davis
    8-10 Paul Wilson

Mike Doyle is the operator of the mainly Sunday oldies pirate Retro FM, but has been involved in the pirate scene for decades. In between during the '00s, he was on temporary licensed Premier FM and Choice FM.

Bernard Evans was with the pirate scene during the '80s and the early '90s, finishing with Radio Dublin. He may well have crossed paths with Paul Wilson when he was with Radio Dublin.

Chris Adams also goes to that period in Radio Dublin. Along with Joe Doyle (who knows, he might turn up yet), Chris was involved with temporary licensed runs for IMR (Irish Music Radio) / CIMR (Country and Irish Music Radio)/ Hot Country and Heartbeat FM. Paul Wilson also turned up on some of those temporary license runs.

Paul Duffy was with '90s and '00s pirate Freedom FM. He was also one of the operators of The 90s Network when it had temporary license runs. Paul has also done work with FM104.

Is that the same Brian Walsh that started in Galway pirates and is now involved with Music One Ireland, and has turned up on Classic Hits? Maybe it's a different Brian Walsh.

What about Paul Ormonde, Shireen Langan and Simon Davis?

Bernard Evans also did a easy listening slot on Hot 107 c 1995 if I recall correctly.

Bernard Evans also did a easy listening slot on Hot 107 c 1995 if I recall correctly.

If he did then he may be about the old presenter to go from an RTÉ Radio 1 show (Signals) to having a pirate show in the space of a year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Was Simon Davis connected to Freedom 92?

Bernard Evans did an anorak show on Wonderland and also presented a short series on RTE Radio 1.

Bernard was 'a friend' to many pirates in the mid 80s

Just a brief check earlier
    88.1 no sign of Easy radio, is it just sat/sun license?
    99.5 Carrier
    94.3 no activity today

Anybody anything else to report?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

99.5 Carrier
    94.3 no activity today

Thanks

In Liffey Valley I’m getting

87.6 Chill FM
    93.2 IceRadio
    99.5 Blank Carrier
    103.0 Energy 103
    104.2 Storm NE
    105.2 RetroNow

I did receive Easy on 88.1 but it’s not a pirate this time around so I didn’t include it in the bandscan, Easy tests on at the moment it starts it’s run tomorrow and best of luck to the guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭Antenna

I did receive Easy on 88.1 but it’s not a pirate this time around so I didn’t include it in the bandscan, Easy tests on at the moment it starts it’s run tomorrow and best of luck to the guys.

How long ago was 'Easy' last on the air as a pirate station?

Its now on the air every Saturday and Sunday until July 11th (inclusive) with the temporary licence

Some might say they could make much more of an impact if they ran non-stop for 30 days consecutive, as during weekdays listeners might like a musical change from talkshows etc (and we are told to try and take a break from hearing too much of the C word)

99.5 Carrier
    94.3 no activity today

Thanks
    In Liffey Valley I’m getting

87.6 Chill FM
    93.2 IceRadio
    99.5 Blank Carrier
    103.0 Energy 103
    104.2 Storm NE
    105.2 RetroNow

Energy Power (AM) was also on today on 1195kh MW.

Infoanon wrote: »
    Was Simon Davis connected to Freedom 92?

I did a quick internet check and I found out that Simon Davis was one of the co-founders of Freedom 92. Maybe, as well as some of Paul Wilson's pals, we may get some more ex-Freedom deejays through Simon and Paul Duffy.

Paul Wilson is connected with Mike Doyle, having done some presenting on Mike's Retro FM. They were also both involved with some of the Fun Radio runs, a joint collaboration between mainly oldies-oriented pirates in the last few years.

Energy 1395 AM sounding good earlier today.

Have they changed their audio recently?

• Advertisement

Nice signal and audio.

xGrnFzk.png

And it’s reaching well into Co Louth as well, even with a BBC TX to deal with up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

I did a quick internet check and I found out that Simon Davis was one of the co-founders of Freedom 92. Maybe, as well as some of Paul Wilson's pals, we may get some more ex-Freedom deejays through Simon and Paul Duffy.

Paul Wilson is connected with Mike Doyle, having done some presenting on Mike's Retro FM. They were also both involved with some of the Fun Radio runs, a joint collaboration between mainly oldies-oriented pirates in the last few years.

I wonder which Paul Duffy this is on Easy, Popular name in the radio business and I know a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭TheBMG

I wonder which Paul Duffy this is on Easy, Popular name in the radio business and I know a few.

This is the imaging guru Paul Duffy (ex 98/104/Today) who’s currently doing iRadio

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭TheBMG

Was out and about yesterday and today.

The UK stuff was booming in including BBC Scotland, BBC Devon, BBC Cymru, Capital Wales and Smooth Radio (Glasgow).

Pirates heard were ABC 96, Chill, and the 90s Network (who were fighting a losing battle against a bunch of BBC Radio One signals).

Also heard something that sounded religious on 87.5 .. is the UCB relay still active in Wicklow?

Easy radio we're on a blank carrier for about 30-minutes also you can hear a humming noise in the background on the blank area

I have noticed also ice radio since they came back haven't been as strong in signal

Any Easter activity out there today?

TheBMG wrote: »
    Was out and about yesterday and today.

The UK stuff was booming in including BBC Scotland, BBC Devon, BBC Cymru, Capital Wales and Smooth Radio (Glasgow).

Pirates heard were ABC 96, Chill, and the 90s Network (who were fighting a losing battle against a bunch of BBC Radio One signals).

Also heard something that sounded religious on 87.5 .. is the UCB relay still active in Wicklow?

UCB are still in Wicklow, 87.6 though, mostly a carrier and sporadic output from what I''ve observed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭KildareP

Classic Hits silent since the 6pm news bulletin finished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Lord Nelson

Antenna wrote: »
    How long ago was 'Easy' last on the air as a pirate station?

Its now on the air every Saturday and Sunday until July 11th (inclusive) with the temporary licence

Some might say they could make much more of an impact if they ran non-stop for 30 days consecutive, as during weekdays listeners might like a musical change from talkshows etc (and we are told to try and take a break from hearing too much of the C word)

I think you'll probably find that doing 15 weekends may be more practical in terms of availability of volunteers who have day jobs and busy lives. Also means you can run with half a dozen people which would'nt otherwise be possible. I agree it's not ideal, you're only beginning to get momentum when it's time to disappear for five days. Seems to be fairly well the norm, Christmas FM appear to be the only ones with the capability so far to run 24/7 with live programs for the full 30 days.
    Still, good to hear something different and hats off to Easy for taking it on in the current climate.

Advertisement