Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having trouble getting back into it....

Options
  • 25-03-2021 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭

Looking for some advice here please.

I used to run between 40 to 50km a week mainly to keep my fitness levels up and weight in check. I wouldn't be the fastest runner (majority of runs were 10k's that would take maybe 50 mins or so). Never had a problem except for the odd injury here and there but nothing too serious.

Last summer I decided to take a break and didn't do much running between August and November. Since the start of the New Year I've been trying to get back into it, I started off with 6k runs at the start of January and worked back up to 10km runs about a month ago but I'm seem to be struggling to get my fitness back up to where it used to be. My pace is off (10km runs are taking closer to an hour), my legs feel heavy the whole time and everything just seems "off" from where it used to be. I thought at this stage I'd be back to my usual pace and getting back in to where I was last summer.

I know I'm older now (mid forties) but it just seems like my fitness and ability to get fitter has dropped off a cliff.

Any advice? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

I was in a very similar situation recently - just kept plugging at it and eventually my times came back down (actually beating personal bests) and it started being enjoyable again. One important aspect for me was moving from the road to grass and trails - the scenery made the whole experience more enjoyable, and I'm convinced the variation in terrain helped strengthen my legs and reduced the heavy feeling.

takes longer as you get older to get the fitness back - an unfortunate fact of life!

keep at it and don't push it too much - be patient but consistent.

maybe even shorten your runs a little until you feel fitter

finding a pleasant area(s) to run as suggested is also helpful

concrete is by far the worst on the body so tarmac or trails are preferable

with the "grand stretch in the evenings" the days are better for getting out.

Advertisement