Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claim I damaged a car

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

What kind of person sits in their car while it gets hit by a door and doesn't say anything?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

DaveyDave wrote: »
    What kind of person sits in their car while it gets hit by a door and doesn't say anything?

One who realised it was a harmless tap but late thought...'kerching!'

• Registered Users Posts: 51,497 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Totally ignore it.
    As far as you’re concerned it’s a hoax or prank. If a Garda turns up tell him the same.
    You’re sure you hit nothing so don’t worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

DaveyDave wrote: »

Errm

I left Mrs CML in the car while I did a quick visit to Argos. When I came back she said that someone had opened the door into the side and then...then she got out to check it. I asked did she say anything to the driver concerned, now departed, she said no. There was no damage.

I said that you've already put enough dings in it yourself in fairness.

Actually I might have said the last bit in my head only.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

biko wrote:
    Just ring your insurer and tell them your story.

If you do this then your insurer will assume there is a claim waiting to be made against you and it may affect your renewal.

Without definitive proof, it's a he said / she said situation. I still don't understand how someone can claim you hit their car, if they didn't actually confront you at the time, unless they have cctv evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭MAYOMICK

If you didnt do it you didnt do it and thats it.I was in a a situation recently where I was sitting in my car in a Council car park and another car tipped my back bumper causing paint damage.The other driver denied point blank hitting it.I reported it to Gardai and put in a claim with his insurance.They refused to deal with it and suggested I claim off my own insurance and I rang them and they said I would have an open claim on my Insurance while they tried to reclaim off his.I didnt go that route and I am now considering going the legal route but Im not sure if its worth my while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,745 ✭✭✭893bet

You better be sure you didn’t hit them. A dash cam in their car may prove you wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

893bet wrote: »
    You better be sure you didn’t hit them. A dash cam in their car may prove you wrong.

A dash am isn't worth a dam. Inadmissable either way.

If you didn't hit them ignore it. If they have some proof and you're actually wrong in the end, then you deal with that.

Be some oddball to not say it at the time or wait.

Sounds like a chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If you didn't hit them ignore it. If they have some proof and you're actually wrong in the end, then you deal with that.

Sounds like a chancer.

Dashcam footage is golden. An insurer reserves the right to handle a claim as they deem appropriate. If the content is clear cut, it will be boxed off quickly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Sounds like a chancer.

stop spouting rubbish - a dashcam works like a charm every time .
    been there done that

if you didnt hit them i say forget about it , if someone contacts you , ask them for the proof .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Tazium wrote: »
    Needs some form of evidence, innocent until proven otherwise. It's been mentioned already, ignore it. IF you are contacted by an insurance company explain what happened,

This isn't a criminal matter so there's no assumption of innocent. It'll be a civil case judged on the balance of probabilities which is why so many spurious claims are paid out, our judges like to give away money. So it's cheaper for insurance companies to pay out for spurious claims rather than pay a barrister then payout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

Heighway61 wrote: »
    I brought my mother to her doctor today. Parked in the surgery car park. When we came out there was a note on my windscreen saying I damaged a car in the car park, and a phone number.

I know this didn't happen. What did happen was when I was entering the parking space, with a car each side, I thought I mightn't have enough turn so stopped, reversed a yard, stratightened up parked cleanly. We exited the car and went into the surgery.

There was a person in the drivers seat in the car to my right and I think this is who has made the complaint. If he thinks something happened I don't know why he didn't say something there and then.

What would be the best way to proceed with this?
    Any update on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Whocare wrote: »
    Any update on this
    Not a dickie.

Advertisement