Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Jude13

Cheers all. She is a trooper. The first elf was born at 26.5 weeks so the doc/hospital is not new to us but there's been many years between then and now and this just seems to be a chest infection/virus type combo. She's just so pooped.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭phildub

Jude13 wrote: »
    Good work Phil. I lost 18kgs (just a under 3 stone) from 01 Sept to 12 Dec, it is well doable. Annoying, but doable.

Cheers TRS30, she has a viral infection and on a nebulizer but not improving so we were back at the medical centre yesterday, she now has a bacterial infection and an ear infection on top of the virus so we have a load of more nasal sprays, anti biotic etc. She's a trooper

oh tell me your secret!!

Sorry to hear about your little one, hope they are on the mend!

Phil, Calories in vrs Calories out and being in a deficit. Plus I aimed for 12k steps a day. Sadly no magic pill.

Weights three times a week and no booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

I've had a bad week. Down in the dumps and I have put a 1/2 kilo on. Really fed up at the moment and the lock down is driving me stir crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭phildub

Phil, Calories in vrs Calories out and being in a deficit. Plus I aimed for 12k steps a day. Sadly no magic pill.

Weights three times a week and no booze.

ya i havnt drank in over 2 months and I am putting that down as the reason for my weight loss, I don't know will I keep that up post lock down though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

beerguts wrote: »
    I've had a bad week. Down in the dumps and I have put a 1/2 kilo on. Really fed up at the moment and the lock down is driving me stir crazy.

Feel your pain. These last few months have been the worst. I don’t feel like doing anything outside of the house. The bad weather and the restrictions are only the tip of the iceberg for me
    L'prof wrote: »
    Week 1: skip
    Week 2: -1.8lbs
    Week 3: Low battery
    Week 4: Didn’t change the batteries (didn’t post this last week)

I’ll take it :pac:

I’ve added in last weeks big weigh in. Never got around to changing those batteries. In truth I probably just used it as an excuse to ignore my weight

I’m just going to tidy up that first month rather than starting from scratch again. I’ve started logging my food again the last couple of days which is absolutely key for me. My focus right now is to cut what I eat in work right down. Without thinking of it I could easily have a couple of slices of toast with my breakfast, then have dinner & dessert in work and then go home and have another dinner and more crap in the evening

Only down slightly this week but if I’m as strict for the next week I’ll look forward to getting on the scales again

Month 1: -1.8lbs
    Week 5: -0.8lbs

I haven't done a weigh in this week as I really didn't do any physical work and couldn't be bothered.

I had my company's full medical today which involved running on a treadmill so I am taking that as my cardio for the day! It was horrible but I was informed I have cardiovascular health of a younger fellow which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Haven't posted here in a while.. fell off the wagon a small bit after Christmas. Have signed up today to do personal training starting next week so that should kick me back into action (hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,181 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I've been all over the place with workload/stress & general mental lethargy so haven't been as motivated as I could have been in terms of exercise or diet, but do you know what, for the first time in ages I don't care, I've accepted that i've put on a half stone & don't currently have the energy or willpower to tackle that on top of all the other things I have going on so will not beat myself up about it anymore. I'll try to not let it get any worse but wont be actively killing myself to lose the extra few lbs until my routine gets back to some level of normality. Mental health is just as (if not more) important at the moment.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    I've been all over the place with workload/stress & general mental lethargy so haven't been as motivated as I could have been in terms of exercise or diet, but do you know what, for the first time in ages I don't care, I've accepted that i've put on a half stone & don't currently have the energy or willpower to tackle that on top of all the other things I have going on so will not beat myself up about it anymore. I'll try to not let it get any worse but wont be actively killing myself to lose the extra few lbs until my routine gets back to some level of normality. Mental health is just as (if not more) important at the moment.

This is so true, you have do what is best for you and keep the bigger picture in mind.

I have kept the exercise up purely as it's my only outlet at the minute and is good for my mental as well as physical well being.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I have completely lost the run of myself!

I'm going to keep eating rings around myself until Easter, really enjoy my Easter weekend, and then try and start being more sensible. It's easier to eat well and get out more once the weather is nicer, so I'm hoping that will help motivate me! :)

Its the Mrs birthday today so we said we'd geta take away as a birthday treat & have a few drinks as well to celebrate it. Other than that I plant to cut back on the eating/drinking & if I can fit in some exercise, great, but work will be the priority for the time being and it'll be difficult maintaining balance for the next 2 or 3 weeks.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »

I literally could have written that word for word, in the past few weeks I've been busy with a new system changeover in work, training new staff, painting garden fences and shed, laying new grass for the garden and we got a new puppy and my god have I forgotten how tough it is at the start with those cute little demons.

Exercise is non-existent, food is horrendous, but right now I'm focusing on just surviving each day, there's been days where I haven't even had the energy to post on here. I've been going to bed at 10pm cause the puppers has me up at 6am most mornings, including the weekends!!

Loughc wrote: »
    .....there's been days where I haven't even had the energy to post on here. I've been going to bed at 10pm cause the puppers has me up at 6am most mornings, including the weekends!!

Sounds like my three puppies. Don't think I'm allowed call them that though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Forgot to post here last week. Was another half pound up but down 3 this week so back on track!

Finding it a bit easier to get out walking at lunch as the weather hasn’t been as bad.

DvB we could be twins. Work has been absolutely mental, not necessarily workload just politics and stress. I am not weighing myself as I know it will not be pretty.

I have been eating like a horse, yesterday and today I had bacon and pancakes (GF). I also bought a new BBQ which will hopefully reduce the take away count. This weekend it was only 1. Pints were a staple last week.

I ran 10km yesterday but that and the treadmill test at the hospital were all I did last week.

I’m a sucker for a gimmick. I bought a new smart weighing scale on Amazon there. It has a body analyser for when I eventually get back to doing some exercise and it works with Samsung & Apple Health. Works off AAA batteries which I always have around the house. 35% off so I paid £21.49

I don’t think it’ll arrive before my weigh in tomorrow morning :pac: Maybe by next week
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086PC1XZW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_NFM9DMJWNHFQD18KG89X

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

I've been putting this in and out of my basket on Amazon, please let me know what you think of it

I have no idea how that would calculate body fat % with any accuracy. I have had the calipers used on me and that can vary. Hydrostatic weighing or a dexa scan seem to the bench mark. I have had the dexa scan and there was 5% swing from the calipers.

Just don't let it annoy you being higher or lower than you thought.

I have no idea how that would calculate body fat % with any accuracy. I have had the calipers used on me and that can vary. Hydrostatic weighing or a dexa scan seem to the bench mark. I have had the dexa scan and there was 5% swing from the calipers.

Just don't let it annoy you being higher or lower than you thought.

It’s not something that I currently measure so it’s just an extra really. I’d be interested to see if those calculations change if I were to start wight training

Getting it more for the handiness of weight being recorded instantly

• Advertisement

Body fat puts the fear of god in me. When I started training in Sept they told me I was approx. 1/3 fat. Didn't feel great hearing that.

Body fat puts the fear of god in me. When I started training in Sept they told me I was approx. 1/3 fat. Didn't feel great hearing that.

I’d say I’ll be ⅔ :pac:

App looks nice, not my measurements :pac: I weigh a LOT more than 54KG :p

I'm going for blood tests later in the week, getting the full screening, so cholesterol will be measured too. Last time I had it done (about 4 years ago) i had levels of 4.3 iirc, dreading to think what they'll be now that I'm c.3kg heavier & have been munching through stollen, christmas pud, christmas cake, mince pies, fruitcake & now hot cross buns since september last year :eek:

I'm a divil for the fruit cake stuff.

This puts the fear of god in me :(

I had my medical last week, bloods, stool, urine. Heart great but other stuff came back that they want to look in to. I have been having a very bad pain at the very very end of my tailbone/arse for months which means it aches when I sit, as in I can barely get out of a chair. So I having a colonoscopy and gastroscopy plus a back surgeon visit next Sunday/Monday. I have to take a load of stuff to clear me out the day before so there goes my Saturday.

We have a weekend away planned (Friday/Saturday) so its a pain in the arse....get it....tough crowd.

Its the weirdest pain. Its only when I sit or sneeze. I ran another 10km last night, zero pain running or lifting with the exception of deadlifts/squats,

. I have to take a load of stuff to clear me out the day before so there goes my Saturday.

As draining as this is (see what I did there :D) I always feel much better after I have one of those clear out of the oul digestive system treatments... I always feel cleansed for the want of a better description :)

We have a weekend away planned (Friday/Saturday) so its a pain in the arse....get it....tough crowd.

Feels wrong to laugh!

Hope all comes back Ok.

I have a feeling they care more that my insurance/firm are willing to pay for anything so will try it on.

Best week in a long while. I haven’t been ridiculously strict but I’m making sure to log everything until at least dinner. Still having some treats midweek, but probably a lot less than I was. Trying to stick to the bare minimum in work where possible which I think has been a big factor. Easter this weekend will be a test but I’ll try to spread the treats out over the week rather than devouring eggs in one sitting. I bought a 1KG Lindt bunny on Amazon and plan on getting another decent sized egg for myself and the wife to share. We got a Malteser one last year that had bits in the egg. So good!!!

I have the app set up for my new scales already. Really looking forward to playing with that when it arrives :p

Week 6: -3.2lbs

Edit: breakfast down today and I didn’t reward myself for the good week. I’d often treat myself for the day if I have a good week because the next weigh in is so far away :pac:

• Advertisement

Week 6: -3.2lbs

Down nearly 6lbs, thats not to be sniffed at. All I've managed in that time is to maintain the 7lb increase I had post christmas, so going well there prof.

Advertisement