Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favourite watch?

• 30-03-2021 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭

Be it in your collection, a watch you have your eye on, or a grail.

For me it is the Speedmaster Professional moon watch Ref 311.30.42.30.01.005

Lucky enough to have this one in the collection and it is always my preference for daily wear.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

wow, the answer could change every day/week/month but the one most on my mind at the moment (and the last 6 months) is the Seamaster 300m (2018 onwards, black), unfortunately, it's not part of my collection (yet).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

That I currently own; Damasko DA44. What I'd like to own, well that varies from day to day.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My IWC 3878 is my current favourite, but it swaps back and forward with my Astronaut.
    The way the dial catches light and shifts colour on the IWC just fascinates me.

My like to own, depends very much on funds ;)
    But something blue, a Pam maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Favourite watch? .....the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

banie01 wrote: »
    My IWC 3878 is my current favourite, but it swaps back and forward with my Astronaut.
    The way the dial catches light and shifts colour on the IWC just fascinates me.

My like to own, depends very much on funds ;)
    But something blue, a Pam maybe?

Oh the blue Pam is gorgeous, best bracelet I've seen too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Unachievable grail would be a nautilus, but honestly wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a 50k watch. But think it's a great design, perfect size, not to gaudy like some high end watches and goes with anything dress wise.

At the moment my favourite watch is a g-shock :eek:, making me lean towards a high end quartz watch which I never before thought I'd want

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Life is too short to pick 1.

893bet wrote: »

Well there's that too...
    I mean 2, or maybe 3 :P

Cienciano wrote: »
    Unachievable grail would be a nautilus, but honestly wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a 50k watch. But think it's a great design, perfect size, not to gaudy like some high end watches and goes with anything dress wise.

At the moment my favourite watch is a g-shock :eek:, making me lean towards a high end quartz watch which I never before thought I'd want

Try 100k these days, have you ever tried one on? It was a bit disappointing for me.

If you like your Casioak...you know what you have to go for. :D

893bet wrote: »

Give us a top 3! :pac:

• Advertisement

Fitz II wrote: »
    Try 100k these days, have you ever tried one on? It was a bit disappointing for me.

It should be disappointing! It’s an overpriced steel watch that retails at 27 (i think).

I have never had the chance to handle one sadly.

Top 3

1. ALS Zeitwerk.
    2. Complicated Patek Aquanaut in Rose Gold.
    3. The new Milgauss whenever that is released if its released.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Yeah, that's not going to happen! Too many other things to be spending money on at the moment, maybe when I'm older. Moving house in a pandemic and getting a 2 floor extension which is halted at the moment. If I come home with a royal oak I'll video the wifes reaction and put it on youtube, it might actually pay for itself! But I do like a RO, an amazing watch, the case, the dial and the bracelet are all iconic. If one comes up for €200 I may just pull the trigger!

Top 3

1. ALS Zeitwerk.
    2. Complicated Patek Aquanaut in Rose Gold.
    3. The new Milgauss whenever that is released if its released.

Great list, ask you a question about the aquanaut though? What is the hype with that piece, always seems to me that it is the lesser nautilus.

I don't know if it's that 100k is 70% of what my 1st house cost, or that I'm a bit cheap...
    But lovely and all as the Nautilus is.
    I cannot fathom that kind of cash on what's "just" a stainless steel sports watch.

I know it's a Veblen good, I know it's positional and aspirational but I'd be putting that money at a Patek with complications.

What's actually mad altogether, is that given I only found this corner of Boards a few years ago...
    Is that actually considering spending 100k on a watch isn't an immediate no :pac: (if I was that liquid, I'm not, it's still a crazy amount of money IMO)

I mean, it would totally depend, show me what you got! ;)

banie01 wrote: »
    I don't know if it's that 100k is 70% of what my 1st house cost, or that I'm a bit cheap...
    But lovely and all as the Nautilus is.
    I cannot fathom that kind of cash on what's "just" a stainless steel sports watch.

I know it's a Veblen good, I know it's positional and aspirational but I'd be putting that money at a Patek with complications.

What's actually mad altogether, is that given I only found this corner of Boards a few years ago...
    Is that actually considering spending 100k on a watch isn't an immediate no :pac: (if I was that liquid, I'm not, it's still a crazy amount of money IMO)

I mean, it would totally depend, show me what you got! ;)

its not worth 100k or 80k or even 70k......at around 45-55k its obnoxious but maybe worth it to some. If I ever spent that on a single watch I would want 100k worth of watch, not a 30k watch with 70k of precarious hype. Its easy know what a watch is actually worth....its what the manufacturer is asking for it at retail or less.
    nj27 wrote: »
    Great list, ask you a question about the aquanaut though? What is the hype with that piece, always seems to me that it is the lesser nautilus.

Having tried them both on the Aquanaut just feels right. Espically a home time or calander version. Precious ones can be got at close to retail too (steel tends to get most of the hype). The other two would be higher on my list....especially the new Milgauss whatever that might be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Finding it hard to give wrist time to anything other than my Mark II "Old Grey".
    Here it is in the sunshine today.
    MTDBHC.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The one I'd wear the most would be my 1916 Longines "Trench". That's probably my fave as it's the one I have the longest(that I bought myself) and it has many memories attached to it. My '34 Zenith pilots would be another. Family piece fairly steeped in history and all that.

548699.jpg

If money were no object? Probably one of these:

longines-e2809cthe-tre-tacche-neroe2809d-0.jpg?fit=1200%2C801&ssl=1

Longines 13ZN flyback chronograph from the 1930/40's. Or one of the Romanian airforce issued Longines chronos from the 30's if one ever showed up. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »

Longines 13ZN flyback chronograph from the 1930/40's.

I dont say this often about vintage....but I like that a lot. Very Patek 5170, hansome dial and colours. What sort of size we talking on one of those?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

From what I recall Fitz they're 37mm. That was considered "oversize" for the time. :) The 13zn movements are more usually found in 35-36mm cases. Those particular ones with the black gilt dials and screwbacks are the most sought after. When they come up they're around the 40k mark. Pale dials are more usual, but many have been redailled.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

In my humble, at that scale of collecting anyway, they're still kinda "undervalued". Inhouse chrono movement from the inhouse chrono brand and it's a flyback(the first), used by all sorts of famous early aviators and aviatrix' and explorers. The movement blows the doors off anything else that was current and for a very long time after. The same movement can be had in watches that start around the six grand mark, though redials are very common as the original dial printings of those times across all brands weren't very robust at all. Just chrono dials for some reason? I suspect the multiple passes of colour was part of it. The gilt dials last far better.

From what I recall Fitz they're 37mm. That was considered "oversize" for the time. :) The 13zn movements are more usually found in 35-36mm cases. Those particular ones with the black gilt dials and screwbacks are the most sought after. When they come up they're around the 40k mark. Pale dials are more usual, but many have been redailled.

Do you have a grail Wibbs?

At the moment, not really Nj. I'm fairly satisfied with what I have. :) I'd be tempted by a 1970's Omega megaquartz Marine Chronometer, but only at a reasonable price and the majority seem to be in the hands of dealers at the moment, dealers who've been smoking the waccy baccy. The other issue with one of those would be if it needed a service or god forbid parts. Only available from Omega and they charge like wounded bulls for the privilege.

Actually, now that I think about it... A 1917 Tavannes "Submarine"

The-Submarine-Commander-Collection-1917.jpg?resize=501%2C623&ssl=1

The first truly waterproof watch(and antimagnetic), ordered by British submariners in World War One. I've narrowly missed out on two over the years. There's another from the same time, the "Aquatic" and I missed out on one of them two years ago because I forgot to put a snipe bid in... Only two are now known to exist and that was one of them. Grrr. An American 1918 Depollier waterproof would be another. Screwdown back and front and crown. A load of firsts there.

That chrono is lovely. I am a little bit of a fan lately to black face with gold hands chronos myself.

The below being amazing example. I ponder turning my 5167 into the below or similar regularly.

7-A544821-3-AE7-4482-A05-D-5502-FD1-CF152.jpg

E6-C32-EA7-1-F79-4-D04-8099-05-DD4-F30-A481.jpg[/QUOTE]

At the moment, not really Nj. I'm fairly satisfied with what I have. :) I'd be tempted by a 1970's Omega megaquartz Marine Chronometer, but only at a reasonable price and the majority seem to be in the hands of dealers at the moment, dealers who've been smoking the waccy baccy. The other issue with one of those would be if it needed a service or god forbid parts. Only available from Omega and they charge like wounded bulls for the privilege.

Actually, now that I think about it... A 1917 Tavannes "Submarine"

The-Submarine-Commander-Collection-1917.jpg?resize=501%2C623&ssl=1

The first truly waterproof watch(and antimagnetic), ordered by British submariners in World War One. I've narrowly missed out on two over the years. There's another from the same time, the "Aquatic" and I missed out on one of them two years ago because I forgot to put a snipe bid in... Only two are now known to exist and that was one of them. Grrr. An American 1918 Depollier waterproof would be another. Screwdown back and front and crown. A load of firsts there.

Dealers do love that
    wacky tababacy unfortunately. Very interesting piece, always enjoy your input!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

Can you have more than 1?:pac:
    Watches that are in reach of me:
    -Longzines HydroConquest
    -Sinn U1

Watches I'd like to get:
    -Omega Seamaster
    -Tudor Blackbay

Watches I'll never have:
    -Rolex Hulk
    -The VC thats posted on this forum :pac::D

Can you have more than 1?:pac:
    Watches that are in reach of me:
    -Longzines HydroConquest
    -Sinn U1

Watches I'd like to get:
    -Omega Seamaster
    -Tudor Blackbay

Watches I'll never have:
    -Rolex Hulk
    -The VC thats posted on this forum :pac::D

That Tudor black bay is on my radar. It has such a beautiful profile, and really love the crown. They are not too pricey on chrono24 either. My bank account weeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

nj27 wrote: »
    That Tudor black bay is on my radar. It has such a beautiful profile, and really love the crown. They are not too pricey on chrono24 either. My bank account weeps.
    Yeah really like it...I watch reviews etc and go ok I'll get one.

Would need a bit of discipline and 'creative accounting' to achieve but it's doable.

Then you have the usual suspects in this forum posting Seamasters and I go want that and I want it now...w@nkers:D:P

Would need a bit of discipline and 'creative accounting' to achieve but it's doable.

Then you have the usual suspects in this forum posting Seamasters and I go want that and I want it now...w@nkers:D:P

Haha love it, the plight of the watch lover.

• Advertisement

I know what ya mean, tw@ts :pac:
    I have a BlackBay and I love it ;)
    I just prefer a couple of others more.

Advertisement