Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wrath of Man

Options
  • 29-03-2021 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭

New Guy Ritchie movie (with Jason Statham). God I can't wait for cinemas to reopen. Out in May... wherever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

Should no doubt make Tenet appear like a piece of muddled, overly-complicated and incomprehensible drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

MfMan wrote: »
    Should no doubt make Tenet appear like a piece of muddled, overly-complicated and incomprehensible drivel.
    :confused: There's a fair whack of people who don't think Tenet requires any point of comparison to call it that.

This looks like your standard revenge action plot, but with Statham and Richie should be a notch or two above most of those.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

While I don't necessarily buy into his style, the trailer looked decidedly un-Ritchie like. Wonder if this is a total gun-for-hire job.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,006 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

erm, that was a good film, not sure if I need to see it again

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The trailer unfortunately gives away pretty much the whole plot.

Its a remake of the 2004 French thriller Cash Truck.

it's ok.

overwrought in its construction and execution with a decent amount of lazy "3 months earlier, 5 months later" signpost stuff.

but watchable.

those who exclusively watch action movies will no doubt love it but I give it a 6.1 / 10

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Not a bad watch and the actors and action scenes are great, but I'm completely baffled as to why they felt to over-complicate the story to comically far-fetched levels compared to the original film.

If it was a closer remake of the original it would've been far superior. As it is, it's grand entertainment, but it's total nonsense.

Again, solid cast, but some awful waste in there - Josh Hartnett is a prime example, Niamh Algar to a lesser degree. Two cast members that could've done with more screen time for the betterment of the film.

Worth a watch. I definitely enjoyed it, but can't help think about how much better it could've been with a more straight played story.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Very enjoyable action movie.

Scott Eastwood is a terrible actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I enjoyed it.

It has a very serious tone, there are no one liners or jokes.

Statham is a bit too stiff for the role, but the rest of the cast are good.

Highly convoluted but tense and enjoyable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I thought the first half of the movie really struggled to get going and it was quite dour. Statham was his usual wooden self and was giving my eyes splinters. So hard to understand what he is saying most of the time too. I nearly gave up on it but it really came to life when the army guys came into it. The tension got ratcheted up, and for the first time in a long time, I felt an adrenaline rush watching a movie, waiting for all the different factions to collide. Great action scenes - pity they didn't go on longer - and it reminded me of a homage to Heat, complete with its own Waingro-style character. First half 4/10, second half 8/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I thought the first half of the movie really struggled to get going and it was quite dour. Statham was his usual wooden self and was giving my eyes splinters. So hard to understand what he is saying most of the time too. I nearly gave up on it but it really came to life when the army guys came into it. The tension got ratcheted up, and for the first time in a long time, I felt an adrenaline rush watching a movie, waiting for all the different factions to collide. Great action scenes - pity they didn't go on longer - and it reminded me of a homage to Heat, complete with its own Waingro-style character. First half 4/10, second half 8/10.

I got that Heat connection too when I was watching it. Maybe it was because of the emphasis on the preciseness of the heist planning, and it had the same type of underlying tension atmosphere.

I really enjoyed all of Wrath of Man. I didn't find any of it slow-moving. I watched t he first half hour on one night, and I was dying to get back into it the following night. I didn't expect it to be as good to be honest. But I agree on the Stratham point. I feel like he is miscast for this role. Normally associate him with the funny smartass action films. He can do that in his sleep as this stage. But this film is not like that. It's more serious, but can can get written off as just another Jason Stratham movie. If say, it was a different actor, someone who you can actually express the emotional pain of having lost a son (maybe Tom Hardy), maybe the file would be looked at in a different light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

There was one great Statham moment that stuck in my head, when Josh Hartnett asks "what do you want us to do now? and Statham, who has patiently waited so long for his moment of revenge, snarls "you do whatever the **** you want", while not even looking at him. Best moment of the whole movie :)

In summary.. the liver...the lungs...the spleen and the heart.

What the fcuk do you want?

I want your liver.

Enjoyable film.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Decent movie. I'm not a huge fan of non linear timelines when it doesn't really add anything. It just annoyed me as I was getting into one segment when we were pushed back in time.

JS was decent. Holt McCallany has a real warmth to his screen presence.

+1 on the heat vibe also

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

This is on amazon prime.

It isn't great to be honest....a decent-ish cast (with some bloody awful accents), fairly wasted, there are some decent parts but the script is seriously clunky...the background music score is incredibly annoying and repetitive. It really did it's best to imitate heat and failed, it isn't even better than den of thieves tbh.

I would say if you are going to watch I would recommend not watching the trailer 6/10 for me

Post edited by gmisk on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I enjoyed the first two thirds of this, there some good tension building however the finale was definitely anti-climactic and Scott Eastwood is just overacting an extremely dull trope. It also doesn't need to be 2 hours.

Advertisement