Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great Galway breakfast roll hunt

Options
  • 26-03-2021 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

I'm looking for your recommendations for the best breakfast roll in the city :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's a tricky one as it's very subjective what a good roll is.
    McCambridge's does some fine rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I'm looking for your recommendations for the best breakfast roll in the city :D
    Great question but I have never noticed much variety in breakfast rolls. The key is to get there before the egg turns to rubber. Hash browns? yes for me. Good sausages. I would be nice if somewhere used good streaky bacon instead of the usual back.

Now, when we're allowed back in to sit down... the best Full Irish will interest me.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

biko wrote: »
    That's a tricky one as it's very subjective what a good roll is.
    McCambridge's does some fine rolls.

I'd have to disagree on McCambridges, very poor over the past 12-18 months. Of course just IMO :)

Yes, we can't all love the same things. That'd be boring.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Monaghans on the tuam road used do a good one, the occasional treat on a Sunday morning after nightshift meant I was there around eight so everything was fresh plus the great bonus (to me) of saute mushrooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

It's actually difficult to think of a place in the city centre itself for brekkie rolls. Spar Roscam is decent for example but your not walking there from Eyre Square!

Two that come to mind are day break at the top of the square and I guess Centra Forster street.

Also a shop across from the old Cuba nightclub, can't remember if its Gala or day break. Haven't had the rolls but their deli always seems busy.

It's all about the egg, quality of sausage and whether or not they have left a load of yuck chewy bacon fat on the rasher!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

This should be in it's own thread because this is where this forum really comes to life.

My favourite is still O'Hehirs. Fresh baked bread and they fry up the egg when you order. If a perfect runny egg is important to you they can't be beat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

This should be in it's own thread because this is where this forum really comes to life.

My favourite is still O'Hehirs. Fresh baked bread and they fry up the egg when you order. If a perfect runny egg is important to you they can't be beat.

Westside?. That's a true selling point to me!.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

Kind of reminds me of a YT channel called 'The Chicken Connoisseur', fella goes around London reviewing fried chicken shops... Could be an idea for Galway's breakfast rolls :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Westside?. That's a true selling point to me!.

That's the one.

I'd be very disappointed if they didn't all do the same.

• Advertisement

We now have enough responses for a spinoff thread.
    Moved out from "Looking for" thread.

The cafe food never did much for me though the bakery is good.. Thanks for the info!.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭d00mk1n

Most breakfast rolls are let down by their rashers, either burnt or rubbery

Daybreak opposite Monroes used to do a nice one but haven’t had one in 10 years haha

• Registered Users Posts: 23,483 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I've never had a breakfast roll. Ever.

erm, how much calories would it have?

zell12 wrote: »
    I've never had a breakfast roll. Ever.

erm, how much calories would it have?

Doesn't bear thinking about :o

• Registered Users Posts: 25,708 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Breakfast Bap from Urban Grind in William Street West - classier than your average breakfast roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭beerguts

I am note sure if they still do them but Supermacs breakfast roll was always a good feed. The one I usually got it from was the drive through on headford rd

Haven't had a quality breakfast roll in a while, but the key to a good roll is the bread.

We did get some breakfast rolls delivered (!) from Londis opposite UHG recently. Great service but the rolls weren't anything special.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,218 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Not been there in a while but had a few years of a high standard roll from Centra Forster Court. Had some very nice staff too.

I actually find it hard to find a nice deli in general in the city. The deli in Monaghan's Ballybrit is lovely, although it is outside the city and accessible by car only.

Just remembered, it's been a while but only ever had great breakfast rolls from Centra (at Texaco) in Spiddal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Monaghans on tuam road is usually pretty good although the standard has fallen off recently.

The OTHER Monaghans on the dual carridgeway on the way toward Briarhill though is ran like a Michelin kitchen. They are up the walls and run it so well, the spicebags in there are also delicious.

The centra on the dublin road just past the eye cinema is really good.

Vevo or whatever, gala..across from where Cuba used to be is also timeless. They've never dropped the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Ward's will always be top spot for me, though their filings might cause some people to question if it's truly a breakfast roll, or, just a roll with bacon, sausage, egg & mushroom.

€5 - €5.50 (depending if you went roll or bap) with a tea or coffee. Good bread, sometime you'd be lucky to get a rosemary bap. Meat was of a good quality and egg was fried to order.

Partly a nostalgia thing - used to get it weekly with my-now-wife when we were in college together. Indeed, the owner looked after us and facilitated wedding photos for us. Some wonderful snaps out of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I'd go with Ward's and O'Heir's in Terryland.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭maniac2003

Mcgreals is standalone

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Not a full breakfast roll, but Mcafe have set up a food truck. Located outside Gannet fish shop in Ballybane (across the road from McDonagh's hardware). Very nice bacon butty and VERY good coffee. Coffee is their main trade. The truck is outside their coffee roastery.
    Nice short menu for lunch times too.
    And you have time to get some great fish from Stefan in Gannet while you are waiting for the coffee to brew.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Used to work in Liosban years ago. The Bankxx brekkie rolls were just sublime back then on a Friday (payday) morning. God almighty I'm drooling just thinking about them.

Or Leaders shop on the Tuam Road too for that matter. Another long gone fine emporium of the Brekkie roll.

Advertisement