Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Imported car from NI - V5 says UK, how to get proof of import

Options
  • 29-03-2021 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hey,

I bought a car in Northern Ireland, but its V5 says it's from the UK. Unless I can prove that the car was imported before 2021, I will have to pay VAT (since it's post-Brexit). Does anyone have an idea of how I can get this proof? Previous owner is not very helpful. I have contacted
    Stenaline, P&O ferries, Irishferries, Seatruck ferries, Motis and CLDN but there don't seem to be any records of the car registration. Does anyone know how cars are usually shipped from the UK to Northern Ireland, so I can reach out to see if I can get some type of proof? Or does anyone have a better idea?

All ideas welcome!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭User1998

A ferry ticket or transport company would be proof. Or the previous owners address on the logbook being a NI address

• Registered Users Posts: 4 carquestion

The logbook has a UK address, so yes I need a ferry ticket or transport company ticket, but I don't have that either. So I have contacted all the above ferries on which I'm hoping the car could have been shipped, but all of them have confirmed there is no record of my car. Do you know of other ferries or shipping companies I could reach out to to see if they shipped the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

Does it have a NI reg?

It has a GB reg unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

Not a hope. There was an article sometime ago on how this was going to be tracked ie stop uk to NI to here. Was it advertised in the North ie go back to website and see if page can be recovered. There is a way but I have forgotten how.

• Advertisement

As a proof that it came from NI you mean? Cause I have a proof of purchase and that isn't sufficient to show it came from NI. So really need that confirmation from the ferries/shipping company

• Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭User1998

You need proof of the car leaving the mainland GB and entering NI

Tbh if you rang all the car transport companies and explained your situation I’d say some of them would write you up an invoice stating that they brought the car from GB to NI before Brexit, it would obviously cost you tho

Advertisement