Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finding the right next job after leaving the last one!

• 24-03-2021 2:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭

Long post, any help would be greatly appreciated.

So I left a job 3 months ago that I had been in for 4 months, I knew from the start that I didn't like it but told myself I'd give it a chance. Mixture of toxic work environment and overworked moaning colleagues really affected my mental health.
    The workload went from zero to 90 very quick and I managed at the start, however I had to work 2-3 hours overtime most evenings just so the workload wouldn't be too much in the morning.
    After a while I looked for help and was met with a very ignorant supervisor who didn't offer me any help. Then the day came when I had a row with said supervisor and knew I couldn't cope anymore.
    I walked out which was a bold move a few weeks before Christmas but I couldn't go on for longer. I had some savings so I decided to leave it to the new year before I start my job search.
    First few interviews I was extremely nervous and didn't get an offer, as the weeks went on I started to panic and wonder if I made the correct decision.

A ex colleague from the job I left reached out to me to tell me I had started a domino affect within the office and a few others had left and their replacements didn't last a WEEK.
    This give me some confidence that I made the correct decision also a manager had reached out to offer me the role back only a month ago.

The past week however my job hunt luck has changed and I have had 3 interviews. 1 job offer, which I turned down due to the commute not being worth the salary. Another one, the recruiter believes I will be offered the role this week and the final one have had no feedback yet.

After getting burned the last time I am very wary about my next choice. Has anyone been in a similar situation and had any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭whampiri

ak4 wrote: »
    Long post, any help would be greatly appreciated.

So I left a job 3 months ago that I had been in for 4 months, I knew from the start that I didn't like it but told myself I'd give it a chance. Mixture of toxic work environment and overworked moaning colleagues really affected my mental health.
    The workload went from zero to 90 very quick and I managed at the start, however I had to work 2-3 hours overtime most evenings just so the workload wouldn't be too much in the morning.
    After a while I looked for help and was met with a very ignorant supervisor who didn't offer me any help. Then the day came when I had a row with said supervisor and knew I couldn't cope anymore.
    I walked out which was a bold move a few weeks before Christmas but I couldn't go on for longer. I had some savings so I decided to leave it to the new year before I start my job search.
    First few interviews I was extremely nervous and didn't get an offer, as the weeks went on I started to panic and wonder if I made the correct decision.

A ex colleague from the job I left reached out to me to tell me I had started a domino affect within the office and a few others had left and their replacements didn't last a WEEK.
    This give me some confidence that I made the correct decision also a manager had reached out to offer me the role back only a month ago.

The past week however my job hunt luck has changed and I have had 3 interviews. 1 job offer, which I turned down due to the commute not being worth the salary. Another one, the recruiter believes I will be offered the role this week and the final one have had no feedback yet.

After getting burned the last time I am very wary about my next choice. Has anyone been in a similar situation and had any advice?

I'm unsure what it is that you're looking for here. Advice on which to pick? How to pick the right one? How to avoid a toxic work environment?

Toxic managers are everywhere and there's no way to identify them, for the most part, until you're in there.

What is the reputation of the company? Do you know anyone who is or was working in them? Can you find out why the last person left? Does the company advertise roles on a regular basis?

These may indicate a problem in the organisation but may not. If you're interested in the job or it's related to your education, jobs tends to be easier but at the end of the day there's also the need to make ends meet.

Best of luck in the interviews!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublin Lad2021

My advice would be find a job you can stand and pays what you're worth, then look for the perfect job. I'm always in the position where I have to take the first job I can get and it sucks, literally took a 50% patcut just to get back to work. Either that or temp

Advertisement