Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aerosol underseal, any good ones

Options
  • 27-03-2021 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

I got a can of Hamerite underseal last summer and basically even though it's over half full the underseal will not come out, just the air. No mater how much I shake it, and I tried another nozzle. So I ended up binning it and tried to get another can today, eventually got a Carplan one in Mr Price (all the factors were closed at this point).

Exact same issues with this, just got a bit out then just air (it does work better spraying down, but not much use unless you tip the car onto its roof).

Is there any that actually work? Can you get ones you paint on with a brush?

Am I doing something wrong? I did shake for at least 2 mins.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I use bilt hamber anti corrosion products

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gripcasey

Roberlo brushable sealer. Can get it in AutoPaint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I use bilt hamber anti corrosion products

Thanks. Are there any Irish suppliers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Thanks. Are there any Irish suppliers?

Autopia stock the anti corrosion products

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I got a can of Hamerite underseal last summer and basically even though it's over half full the underseal will not come out, just the air. No mater how much I shake it, and I tried another nozzle. So I ended up binning it and tried to get another can today, eventually got a Carplan one in Mr Price (all the factors were closed at this point).

Exact same issues with this, just got a bit out then just air (it does work better spraying down, but not much use unless you tip the car onto its roof).

Is there any that actually work? Can you get ones you paint on with a brush?

Am I doing something wrong? I did shake for at least 2 mins.

Thanks!

Maybe you should have put the can into a pot of boiling water for 10-15 minutes to soften it up a bit..

• Advertisement

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Autopia stock the anti corrosion products

Is this the one?

https://www.autopia.ie/product/bilt-hamber-dynax-ub-underbody-anti-corrosion-wax/

They are out of stock though. I think I've come across it before (as Dynax UB), does it work OK? I'll see if I can get it somewhere else perhaps.

kadman wrote: »
    Maybe you should have put the can into a pot of boiling water for 10-15 minutes to soften it up a bit..

I actually had it in the oven this morning! At about 30 deg, the can says do not exceed 50. Still the same ... Maybe I'll try a bit hotter. If you hear an explosion ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

I've never had much luck with aerosol underseal cans. I have binned a few almost full cans after only one use.

Thanks, good to know I'm not alone. What do you use instead?

Thanks, good to know I'm not alone. What do you use instead?

I bought an underseal gun and some Shutz. Slightly more violent in its application but it can be used more than once

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

Had similar problems with the Hammerite underseal.

No such problems with the aerosol Bilt Hamber Dynax UB, able to use all the contents of the can.
    Does go on quite thin though.

I've also used the brush on Dynax UB which is good on flat surfaces but not as easy to get into
    nooks and crannies as the aerosol.

Cant help about a supplier over here, Think I've only bought from Opie Oils in the UK.

I was on my way to AutoPaint to look at the Roberlo and see what else they had. I stopped off at Vinny Byrne on the way as I had to collect some paint I made up last week. After a lengthy discussion with one of the guys there I left with another aerosol. This time stonechip which is a different product to the first two cans (everyday is a learning day!). The guy said he used it himself and assured me it will be ok.

So far I've put on two coats and the can has worked faultlessly, so touch wood, third time lucky.

It is MOTiP Anti Gravel, was 8 quid for 500ml, and is defiantly a different consistency to the other stuff in the bin now.

The paint on Roberlo seems to just come in 1kg/1L as the the similar products in Vinny Byrne, I just need a tiny bit so it would have gone to waste.

Thanks for all your help everybody!

I used hammerite, the tall aersol can, from halfords and found it very weak. You could easily pick it off with your nail if you tried. Buddy of mine used POR-15 on his car which is painted on. from the tin its very watery based application but once its dry it is like tar! Great stuff. Tempted to do it myself.

Yeah, I got the Hammerite from Halfords too. I applied a small patch last summer still not dry!! Even at my frrst use had trouble with the can and just air coming out this time. I'll go over it again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I used Vinny Byrnes Gravitex, and used the gun for it too.

Need a compressor for this. I put 5 cans on the body work, under the wings,
    wheelhouse areas, rear under body. Everywhere except the floorpans.

Its great stuff. Sprays well, and the applicator gun can be set for light or heavy coats.

It is MOTiP Anti Gravel, was 8 quid for 500ml, and is defiantly a different consistency to the other stuff in the bin now.

Is that the stuff in a black can?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Hammerite isn't as good as it used to be, no where near as good.

I used 5l of Tetrosyl Chassis paint that I bought in Vinny Byrnes, brushes on well and for the majority of the underneath I actually used a small foam roller, really able to work it in there. Bit tarmac like but I think it will offer great protection

w124man wrote: »
    Is that the stuff in a black can?

can.jpg

Advertisement