Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cloud Seeding

• 27-03-2021 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭

I would be really interested to hear weather experts opinions on cloud seeding to control the weather.

The Economist have an interesting article here (paywall). I was not aware how big cloud seeding has got ...

- China spends $200m a year on cloud seeding.
    - 50,000 people work in the area.
    - Cloud-seeding operations in China cover 5m square kilometres, or more than half of its land territory. Expanding every year.
    - China says that cloud-seeding brings down about 50bn cubic metres of extra rain or snow across the country each year—equal to about 8% of total water demand.
    - Scientists now generally agree that cloud-seeding can slightly augment snowfall from specific types of cloud that form on the slopes of mountains.
    - 50 countries experimenting with the technology.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

Szero wrote: »

Is Daniel Gross suggesting that the well known video of that wet microburst was a result of cloud seeding as his comment seems to suggest that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The UAE have a very extensive cloud-seeding program and explain it in detail on their site.

https://www.ncm.ae/en/details.html?id=825&lid=1500

• Registered Users Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Trees and grassland make rain.

Take the trees and grassland away and turn to tillage and you've no rain.

It's that simple.

Mightnt seem that simple being an island on the edge of the Atlantic at the vagaries of the Atlantic weather but give the day of land based convection and it's 100% the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It's that simple.

Mightnt seem that simple being an island on the edge of the Atlantic at the vagaries of the Atlantic weather but give the day of land based convection and it's 100% the above.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It's that simple.

I would like to see some sort of analysis done between forestry and rainfall. Ireland as an island has seen rainfall increase over the past few decades as we have gone from around 2% or 3% forestry to 10% or 11% of landmass. Maybe there is some merit in what you are saying.
    However, I'd be of the opinion that convection would ferment better over bare ground than over a canopy of trees?
    My understanding of this relationship is still rather wet behind the ears.

Advertisement